SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we send and receive text on and to aircraft?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we send and receive text on and to aircraft? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
A friend is away to Isreal and I'd like to know, can he receive text while in flight?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
If he gets wifi onboard, yes. Depending on the airline and if he buys (or gets with his frequent flyer status) such a service.

Posts: 9453 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Most airlines have wifi onboard. United, which I am most always flying, has free text messaging. You just have to activate it. Some carriers give you free wifi if you have T-Mobile. Bottom line, it's possible to send and receive texts, but the passenger has to set it up and/or pay for it.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK. I guess I might not hear back. I will message him when he is there. It's 6,300 miles away. See if my new SpaceX phone has the power.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
most in flight wifi is an Air-to-ground (ATG) system. Plane to satellite for passenger wifi isn't so common, yet.

So it may work if he happens to be over or near land, depending on the system. If he's over the ocean, then maybe not.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always fly United, and over ocean WiFi service depends on United's provider:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/...i-coverage-maps.html

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I alway fly Delta and they have free messaging via wifi. However, SMS text doesn't work from Android, so I use Whatsapp.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
United, American and Delta offer free messaging if the passenger signs into the Wi-Fi. Apple, WhatsApp and a couple others texting systems

Basic messaging, no emojis or pictures typically

Sky miles members get free Wi-Fi and messaging on the flight I’m on this morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My friends who have iPhones can if they have wifi on the plane. Not sure about Android.

Posts: 13118 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Amazing life. He landed around 3:50 this morning. That was fast.