SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Culinary perfection has been achieved! Mmmmm. I made one of my favorite soups today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary perfection has been achieved! Mmmmm. I made one of my favorite soups today. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
It’s hot outside and not exactly soup weather but for some odd reason I had me a hankering for a savory French onion soup with delicious Provolone cheese melted over the top. I’m pretty happy with the end result. Smile

Getting close but not quite there...

Perfect!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks Restaurant-grade (high-end) to me!

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
That looks incredible!

Can you share the recipe?

Thanks,
JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow Stick that looks awesome. One of my all time favorite dishes. I usually order it when it's on the menu.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
That looks incredible!

Can you share the recipe?

Thanks,
JP

Yes, please do!

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The BEST French onion soup that I have ever had was in Thailand!! Yours looks mighty fine also.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Damn, that’s as good as I’ve ever seen!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty much your basic French Onion Soup recipe but with two slices of lightly toasted whole wheat bread and 4 yes that’s right four slices of Provolone cheese masterfully distributed and melted to perfection. The key is to keep the bread as high as the top of the soup bowl and go heavy on the cheese. Cool You could use Gruyère cheese if you really want to try to be authentic but I’ve had much better luck with provolone and a mozzarella provolone mix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
What type of onion do you use?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Can we see the actual soup? Big Grin

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is my favorite soup by far. Looks good. I told the wife,one night when we go out to dinner, I am going to only order a big bowl of F.O.S. or have numerous cups brought to me.

Posts: 6903 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There ain’t much of it left PAsig. Big Grin. Well I suppose you could say only the best part is left....the cheese that melted around the bowl.

The soup was a perfect appetizer for grilled chicken & sun dried tomato risotto. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
There used to be a place in Quakertown, PA called "Bubba's Pot Belley Stove" that made an awesome French Onion Soup. I say "was" because the last time I went by, a serious fire ripped through the place.

I have been searching for a recipe for a while. I'm not willing to make it unless the recipe is a good one.

Stickman...The pottery and the cheese melt looks exactly like how they made theirs. Nice results!

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post