SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am not theif smart, can someone teach me about people robbing mail men
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am not theif smart, can someone teach me about people robbing mail men Login/Join 
posted
Most of the postal workers here appear to be on their last dollar, regardless of the time of month.

What's the best reason for robbing a postal worker

Are they rich as hell and loaded down with all kinds of cash?

Can they conceal carry?

Are the bad guys taking people's mail?
W.t.f.?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I feel like you think we should know what you are talking about. I do not though.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://wgntv.com/news/chicago...npoint-on-west-side/

Is this the concern, bendable?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
After clicking on the link the first answer is...
Well its is Chicago, so what?

But then I tried to read the article amongst all the adds and got confused when I saw that the USPS was offering 100 grand for information about the shooting... when in the description of the robbery there was no actually shooting...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
'Round here, they were not robbing the deliverers, but stealing mail from the blue boxes. Allegedly, they got keys from some postal workers and the fun began. Now we have slow delivery, horrible single envelope blue boxes, and bleached checks floating around for big money.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

can someone teach me about people robbing mail men
Bad idea, dude -- don't do it. The feds get all bent out of shape.

You should probably also stay away from convenience stores owned by Sikh people. They'll whop your ass with a mop handle.

Drug dealers tend to retaliate violently, so don't plan on robbing them, either.

It's getting to the point where it's not safe for an honest thief to rob anybody. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't think they're after the mail carriers themselves, but what they might be carrying. All kinds of valuables are sent through the mail.

I have a recollection - probably imperfect - of there being an unwritten rule in low-income areas that mail carriers weren't to be robbed, as they are delivering government checks.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They want the keys to the blue mailboxes. Once you have one you have them all. There are cases where they are offering the mail carriers $5,000 for the key.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's the keys to the drop boxes they want. From what I heard, they are like master keys.
It's happened several times around here in the last couple years.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they're not after the mailman's pocket change.

Instead, they want:

1) Mail, in the hopes they contain cash, gift cards, checks that can be washed and forged, or personal information to help facilitate identity theft schemes.

2) Packages, in the hopes they contain something valuable.

And most importantly:

3) Master keys to drop boxes and communal mailboxes, to allow for further lower risk/lower profile thefts of the above two.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad used to employ/train a guy who did time for breaking into a post office. He was good, had broken into several before he was caught. The night Tracy got arrested the last time, he was specifically looking for diamonds in the mail (he had some kind of tipJ. An off duty Detective walking his doggo after midnight was curious enough to get to a phone and call the guys on duty.

All kinds of stuff goes thru the mail. Robbing the mail man to get his blue box key is an easy haul that will pay off in the future.

But I wouldn’t want to get caught for that-it’s fed time. And you do your time in the fed system.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know a one who did at one point, contrary to policy, county and state law.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Postal Workers are prohibited from carrying firearms on Postal Property (including Postal Vehicles).

This makes them an "easy target" for people wanting to steal Credit Cards, Checks, Cash from mail or Packages the carrier might have.

It is taken very seriously, and areas where carriers are being targeted or harassed may see an undercover USPIS (Postal Inspector) take over the route to confront/arrest the attackers.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Investigators are searching for a suspect after a mail carrier was injured during a robbery while working her route in southwest Houston on Thursday.

Houston police received a call from the USPS carrier around 6:50 p.m. She told them she had just been robbed in the 14427 block of Waterloo Drive.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
We had one go missing many years ago. All the locks in that zip code get changed immediately when something like the theft of a collection box key or it's loss is discovered.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here they call it “mailboxing”. They either steal the postal keys or make their own copies. Then they can unlock the back of all the communal mailboxes in the zip code. Think of the standalone communal boxes in an apartment complex. Clean those out and you have driver licenses, checks, social security numbers, birthdates. It’s an ID theft honey hole. They make fake ID’s to match the checks then “wash” and reprint the checks for thousands more than they’re written for. They take the social security numbers and buy cars on credit. Massive amounts of fraud available through the mail.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that the inspectors would take the case to what ever court they could get the most time. Local, State or Federal.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I haven't been robbed but I've been physically assaulted multiple times, and threatened many more. Only when the car that was trying to run me over hits another vehicle does anything happen.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post