SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sales people who suggest oranges when you want an apple
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sales people who suggest oranges when you want an apple Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Okay, this is admittedly a first world problem. And it shouldn't be as annoying as I make it to be. But I'm just sick and tired of this crap and chicom products and the endemic greed in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

When you go into a store and ask if they have Patek Philippe watches and they respond "no, but we have something similar" and they show you cheap chicom branded watches, does that annoy you? Not even a Rolex or Audemars Piguet or anything remotely in the same class. But some cheap mass produced chicom watch.

Or you go looking for a Porsche and they say "no, but we have this similar Yugo"

Basically, you go shopping for some high end, high quality, top tier, name brand, hand made product and the sales person responds "no, but we have this other similar product (mass produced, brandless, chicom product)" and act like it's a good alternative.

To be fair, the store I went to had carried the brand I was looking for (but this was several years ago) but just didn't seem to carry it any longer. Thus the inquiry. The response left me annoyed and speechless.

I was having a bad day. But it just annoyed the heck out of me. Insulting and a waste of my time. "Golly, I was wanting a top tier handmade product but now that you've shown it to me, I much prefer this cheap crap made in chicom. I'll buy that instead." Is this really how salespeople think it will go down? It's awkward, insulting and a waste of time.

It's a growing pattern for some reason. I try to support local but for these idiots.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
LoL. I don't know what movie that is but it pretty much captured my day.

You're amazing - I don't know how you know of these little clips, let alone find them so quickly.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's from Falling Down.

I hear you, but at the same time, it's just standard retail to show the customer what you actually have on hand. That's their job: greet, qualify, demo the product on hand, and close. The people trying to sell you the stuff don't pick what the store stocks 99% of the time. If it's a little mom 'n pop shop loaded with Chinese shit and mom's the one trying to sell you the Guangzhou special, you could always tell her how you feel about it.

Posts: 17163 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
LoL. I don't know what movie that is but it pretty much captured my day.

You're amazing - I don't know how you know of these little clips, let alone find them so quickly.

I gots the autism, all things are like a big relational database in my effed up head, I just see instant connections and remember more than I really need.
(I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you)

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Recently i went looking for a Cartier watch for my wife, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. They showed me Piaget watches. What THEY wanted, not what i asked for.

Called another shop for a model displayed on their webpage (rose gold and diamonds) and they offered me Inox.
Asked they specifically quote me the one on their page and they took a week and several calls to finally say i should special order it and it would take months. After insisting they gave me a quote, they came up with one. First they gave me a list of reasons why i should go with the available Inox one.

Wifey not happy. We normally pay at least double MRSP for imports in my country. In most cases, i could travel abroad and purchase the item and would still save money. An Omega Diver 300 Gold Chrone is $8k more expensive down here…

Don’t offer what you can’t provide and don’t waste our time running in circles.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12122 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Salesperson 101 - Sell what you have. Always been this way, always will be.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t stand that either. That’s a great example of why I could never do sales. It seems to me if you want to be any good at it, you need to either lie or be disingenuous.

Posts: 962 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Salesperson 101 - Sell what you have. Always been this way, always will be.

Yeah, it's annoying, but the above-quoted text is true. The sales staff are paid and motivated to sell you crap they have on the shelves. They won't say "No, we don't have Rolex Submariners, but our competitor across town does."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21849 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some do it because they are on commission,
I doubt that your produce employee is getting paid by the grape or strawberry.

The day you start getting incensed by other humans while entering into their world is the day you need to start rethink
your meaning of life.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54657 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Kinda like when you ask about buying a Ford Pickup and you get "buy a Toyota" suggestions Big Grin

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Is it kinda like asking if they have these sneakers in a 14 and they return with a box saying 12 is the biggest we have. So why did you bother bringing them out? Do you expect me to cut my toes off and wear them?

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I went in looking for the Used Beretta 96 Vertec which was sold and walked out with the Used P226 40. You just never know.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Kinda like when you ask about buying a Ford Pickup and you get "buy a Toyota" suggestions Big Grin

I think that's more asking for a Fuji & getting a Gala Wink

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago Mrs DF I and were transitioning from a minivan to an SUV. After the older boys were in their own vehicles, we didn’t need the kid shuttle anymore. While shopping at the Dodge dealership, the sales guy kept pushing minivans. After the fourth redirection away from the Durangos to the minivans I said, “We don’t want a minivan. We have a minivan. If you say minivan one more time, we’re leaving.” He nodded and five minutes later he said it. We left and bought a new 4runner from the Toyota dealer down the street.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I guess you can be annoyed by the sales technique, but it's your decision to buy or not. Confused

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The purchase decision is not the problem. The problem is the waste of my time from disingenuous product comparisons.

If I inquire about a Rolex and they show me an Omega or products in the same class, then that's salesmanship.

If I inquire about a Rolex and they say that they don't have it but claim they have something similar and then pull out cheap mass produced chicom crap, that's grossly disingenuous, ridiculous and a waste of my time. I'd rather they just say we don't carry that type of product any longer.

It's a waste of my time thinking they may show me something that I actually may be interested in vs showing me shit. They know it's not the same thing. I know it's not the same thing. Tired of the BS.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was looking to buy my first Sig. I stopped at small LGS and was surprised to see they had what I was looking for. I asked the counter guy to see the Sig and he informed me that I didn't want that, what I wanted was this other hunk of crap that sold for less than half the price of the Sig. They had what I wanted, I had money in my pocket, and this numb nuts is trying to sell me a gun for much less than the Sig I wanted. I told him he might want to think about why the Sig was more expensive, and walked out.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The problem is the waste of my time from disingenuous product comparisons.

What about the poor salesman's time you wasted by asking for something he doesn't have? Razz

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
This isn’t meant to be smart ass, but maybe you’re shopping at the wrong store.

Perhaps a higher end location would have what you’re looking for?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6324 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post