SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whole House Surge Protector

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Whole House Surge Protector Login/Join 
posted
Referring to the Service Panel Installed type.

Worth it or Hype??

What do the resident SigForum Electricians recommend??

What brand is recommended or how to size for a given structure.

Thanks in advance for time and efforts.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I suggest checking with your electric company to see if they offer a whole house unit. We have one installed at the meter.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
So do I. Main value: Replacement of blown shit when it doesn't work at the power companies expense.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are Square D. Solid, well-recognized name in the business.

For me, absolutely worth it. Too many computers, TVs, iPads, projectors, appliances, routers, etc. (name your expensive electronics here) hooked up to risk frying them. I think installing one in each of my two panels was less than $400 all-in, parts included.

That's a low price to pay for all that security.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Read the fine print on these things.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read the fine print on these things

Can you elaborate please?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Read the fine print on these things

Can you elaborate please?

There is a million ways for them to get out of paying claims. Often second to homeowners insurance. Also many will not pay for computers and other electronics unless also covered by their surge protectors. Lightening is never covered. Surges from within the home not covered. Must be installed by licensed electrician. Some limit warranties to 3, 5, or 10 years.

They will boast $25,000, or $50,000 dollar coverage, but read fine print.

All that being said, I install them all the time, and I installed one on my own house. It's cheap insurance. Rather pay the cheap insurance and never make a claim, than lose something and have no recourse, even if they can't stop all surges. I also use both whole house and good quality point of use surge protectors.

Also know they are consumable products and need to be replaced, how often will depend on how often you get spikes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that being said, I install them all the time, and I installed one on my own house. It's cheap insurance. Rather pay the cheap insurance and never make a claim, than lose something and have no recourse, even if they can't stop all surges. I also use both whole house and good quality point of use surge protectors.

Thank you. Any brands you would suggest? Approximate cost? I am an expert with Homeowners Insurance. I went through Katrina.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have one on my house. We took a lightning strike close to the house that took out 2 tvs, a satelite box and my bad ass router that would serve a coffee shop. I called the power company only to find out that it only covers appliances that have motors such as a washer, dryer or fan blower and not electronics. I had to watch youtube videos on how to take my flat panel tvs apart and troubleshoot them down to the bad boards, order them and repair them. I was out the modem and direct tv sent me a new box.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
have one on my house. We took a lightning strike close to the house that took out 2 tvs, a satelite box and my bad ass router that would serve a coffee shop. I called the power company only to find out that it only covers appliances that have motors such as a washer, dryer or fan blower and not electronics. I had to watch youtube videos on how to take my flat panel tvs apart and troubleshoot them down to the bad boards, order them and repair them. I was out the modem and direct tv sent me a new box.

Did I understand you to say that you had a whole house surge protector when the lightning struck or purchased one later? Can you please clarify? Thanks

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Thank you. Any brands you would suggest? Approximate cost? I am an expert with Homeowners Insurance. I went through Katrina.

Note, once again, none cover lightening.

Intermatic Residential.

CH Ultra

Sycom - SYC-120/240-T2

I have the Sycom, unit. I also use the point of use surge protectors. The Amazon listing is the only one I can find online, if you have an electrician friend they can get them for $40-50 if they buy direct.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jesse, appreciate the help.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Speaking of lightning, the AC lines coming into your house may not be the only way in for lightning. When we were using some irrigation automation equipment in the orchard, it was controlled by a computer in the office which was connected by a radio link. Well, when we took a lightning strike on the antenna, it smoked the radio, then ran down the serial line into the computer and smoked that too. Next step was out the power cord of the computer and into the UPS. Guess what? Most, if not all UPSs and surge protectors protect against problems coming down the line, but they do not protect against other ports load side. Ended up frying everything attached to the UPS. Ooops.

If you can protect any phone or networking lines coming into your house, that is a good thing too...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Most people that actually try, protect their incoming power via UPS or many other means, they also usually neglect cable/phone/DSL or other entry points, it's damn hard to cover every base... But it is possible.

Look at the joule ratings for all your devices and protect yourself accordingly...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am so highly conditioned to seeing political threads here, that I mis-read the title to this thread as "White House Surge Protector." Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post