SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What caused the a/c problem in car today?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caused the a/c problem in car today? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Have 08 Expedition. A/C has always been good even the other day during a long drive with temp in 90s and with 6 adults inside.

Today the wife started it but it was blowing only warm air. I checked all the settings and they were ok.

She said something felt "tight" when she first started it so decided to shut it off and restart. At that point a/c blew cold.

No idea what she meant by tight. Could maybe a pulley have seized? Or bearing or clutch? First time that's happened.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
probably a blend door servo - they get stuck and/or 'confused' - the CPU doesn't know where the door is & think that it is cooling. If it's happening now, it will probably get more frequent. You can see if there is a HVAC reset procedure, that will sometimes fix it forever.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Have 08 Expedition. A/C has always been good even the other day during a long drive with temp in 90s and with 6 adults inside.

Today the wife started it but it was blowing only warm air. I checked all the settings and they were ok.

She said something felt "tight" when she first started it so decided to shut it off and restart. At that point a/c blew cold.

No idea what she meant by tight. Could maybe a pulley have seized? Or bearing or clutch? First time that's happened.

Could be the control box or what ever that part is called. That's the part that has all of the doors that block vents and moves air warm or cold to the dash vents. Follow the cables to their contact points and check to see if they are properly cleaned and lubed.

Same thing happened to my Tundra. One of those cable insertions/contacts had gotten cruddy and the lube had long since turned to mud. I cleaned it and lubed it with white lithium grease. Good as new.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 08 expedition a/c went out within the last year. In this year model the dash has to be pulled. It’s an expensive fix. Then the other major problem with this model year is that there is some control module for the electronics under th dash whereas condensation can leak down on it.
Yep. Expensive fixes.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you can do, is if it happens again, leave the vehicle running open the hood and see if the compressor is running.
If not you might just need it recharged. You can do that yourself. They make the bottles with a hose and a gauge on them. The hose connection will only fit on one connector under the hood, so you cannot screw it up.

It also could be the motor like one poster said. The motor that controls the opening and closing of the heat/air gates.

If it is the motor, that is costly. Had it done on my 2010 F250 and it was around 600$ at the Ford dealership.
Good luck

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The filter/dryer could be clogging up or the expansion valve filter.
Will cause excessive pressure against the compressor pistons.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It could be a lot of things.

My compressor will not shut off because it does not get quite up to full pressure (5 yrs old, 75k miles, started at 4 yrs 60k). If it keeps running it can freeze all kinds of things.

If I'm driving at 40mph or so, or faster, and both windows are cracked open, and I run it on high / full cold / outside air, it runs cold enough to give you brain freeze nonstop.

I've experienced every symptom you can imagine over the past 15 months, from 'stuck' or confused actuator doors, to intermittent everything. Finally got it checked, but had a feeling it was the compressor.

The diagnosis was $75 and they had the truck for four hours. The fix is $1,300 from the shop, probably more at a dealership. OEM parts are as cheap as $245 delivered. Compressor, accumulator/dryer, orifice/expansion tube, compressor oil, bag of assorted gaskets. It looks difficult to replace the compressor without a lift.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I ask this with no ill will intended. Did she start the car the first time? Steering would be tight if not started? If the tight happened before moving, no moving occurred, and on off cycle resolved it, my guess is first attempt was fail to start and second was success. This is my WAG. Smile

If this is the answer, laugh with her, not at her. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the description of "tight," but on the older Land Cruisers, they'll start to intermittently blow warm air, then go back to working, when the head gasket is starting to go out. No idea if this could be the same or not.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Was an answer found?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA it might not help now, however my father was an HVAC tech and he used to tell me that in the winter time to run the AC of the vehicle at least once a month for about 5 minutes to have the Freon and oil run through the system to lubricate it and help the seals. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
PSA it might not help now, however my father was an HVAC tech and he used to tell me that in the winter time to run the AC of the vehicle at least once a month for about 5 minutes to have the Freon and oil run through the system to lubricate it and help the seals. God Bless Smile

That used to be the advice 30 years ago. Most modern vehicles use the A/C to dry the air during defrost, so the A/C compressor runs nearly as often in the winter as during the summer on newer cars. That's one reason not to leave your car set to defrost when it's not needed because it draws away a little horsepower.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post