SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living frugal/cheap? Ideas or experiences?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living frugal/cheap? Ideas or experiences? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ummm, how did you post that?

. I think he posts as a guest on Casey’s General store WiFi .

should have said no computer , as well.

either a neighbor's computer ( when available) or the tiny town library.
I had a computer for two years and lightening got it.

if you have medical woe's or hospital bills , I have some more info .
but I read that you are not "poor" so they might not apply

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just switched to the Comcast Xfinity internet essentials $9.95 per month internet plan. CenturyLink was $50 a month for internet, saves us $40 a month. Its cheaper and twice as fast as we had with CenturyLink.

The plan is for "low income" folks that qualify.... well, we live in a pretty pricey house and make good money. We qualify for the program because our kids go to a school where every kid gets free lunch. So by proxy, they lump us into the "low income" category, and we qualify for the reduced price internet.

I'll also be switching my phone carrier to the Xfinity mobile cell plan(Verizon towers), which will cost me about $13 a month, saving us another $25 or so. Thats unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data. Also gives us access to the tens of thousands of Xfinity WiFi hot spots around town, so pretty easy to use hotspots for data, instead of the cellular towers.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike28w:
These are neat ideas but the thing that is holding me back from retiring early is the cost of health insurance.

How are folks coping with that cost ??

There is "always" going to be something. Some reason not to do whatever.

I have seen it in my family and just about everyone else I have met or come across. And yes in myself at times as well.

Most people never achieve something they keep saying is important to them.

Fact or the matter is, saying it and holding on to it. Is actually more important to them. Sad in my book.

If you really want to do something, DO IT. Quit saying you want to do it, but can't.

You are holding yourself back, not the cost of health care or anything else for that matter.

So far, you've given me your opinion....but didn't really give me any information. From what I can tell, health insurance for my wife and I will run in the $12-15000 per year range. At least for me, that's not an insignificant amount of money.

So whether or not it's "sad" …..I won't be making big decisions until I at least have all of the big ducks in row.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w: From what I can tell, health insurance for my wife and I will run in the $12-15000 per year range.

That sounds about right based on what I am paying. My deductibles and out of pocket could potentially add another $13,500 in a calendar year. Of course, that's not likely to happen every year, or perhaps not at all.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is the point Mike. Nobody is going to be able to tell you what will make you feel better as to being completely ready in your mind to make the step. So you can continue down the road you are on. Indefinitely if you want to. Meanwhile life marches on and your days here become fewer. It is just how it works. You can worry about the future or you can live it. Its your choice. You would not be the first person to let life pass them by because they were trying to get completely prepared for it. Which can never happen.

You are right this is just ones mans opinion. I wish you well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the book: "The Millionaire Next Door". I changed how I looked at my finances.

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy--a 1996 book by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko.
This book is a compilation of research done by the two authors in the profiles of 'millionaires' (note the term 'millionaire' denotes U.S. households with net-worths exceeding one million dollars (USD)).
The authors compare the behaviour of those they call UAWs (Under Accumulators of Wealth) and those who are PAWs (Prodigious Accumulator of Wealth). Their findings, that millionaires are disproportionately clustered in middle-class and blue collar neighborhoods and not in more affluent or white-collar communities, came as a surprise to the authors who anticipated the contrary.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post