SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living frugal/cheap? Ideas or experiences?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living frugal/cheap? Ideas or experiences? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The one thing my wife and I instituted when we got married is a pretty strict "no credit cards" policy for most things.

If we don't have the money in our bank account for something, we simply don't buy it. No plastic, no buying things now to pay off later. We really only use them in an emergency nowadays.

It's not been easy as there are a lot of things I had to cut WAY back on or give up, like my gun collection. At one time I think I had 15 pistols, now I have one pistol and a rifle and that's it. I'm just too busy with young boys anyway these days to be honest.

On the other hand, I went from being almost $25,000 in credit card debt the day we got married down to just a couple thousand now.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
no www, no sat or cable tv

Ummm, how did you post that?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sit down with your significant other and make a budget in writing, then stick to it. NO MATTER WHAT. That budget should include an emergency fund contribution. This will make almost all purchases require a discussion. The wifey and I did this about 10 years ago and suddenly we were ending up with a few hundred more $ per month. That adds up fast and you can create an emergency account with it. Emergency spending can kill your savings really fast. Impulse buying can kill your savings even faster.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One big area to control spending is food. First, avoid prepared food. Secondly, I often go to the store with no idea what I'm going to make. Catch something on sale and it becomes dinner. Stock up when something is super cheap. For example, I'm there the other day and they have 3 lbs of bacon at $3.99 each. Picked up 3 packages and took self control to not buy all 6 they had. Took it home fried half a pack and repackaged the rest into smaller packs (only 2 of us).
Vacuum sealers and a freezer are key.
We eat really well for pretty cheap because I've either stockpiled stuff or I'm flexible when I'm at the store.
Can't count the number of time I've seen those ahead of me in line paying with EBT. Almost always its processed, expensive crap. Almost always they are also obese. There's a correlation.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Buy a gently used 26' boat with cash, instead of getting loan for a new 30'. I figured that alone probably saved over $60K. Big Grin

....And Fill it with regular unleaded instead of premium. Wink

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
no www, no sat or cable tv

Ummm, how did you post that?

He posted from the planet bendable, where there is free wifi for everyone Big Grin Actually, IIRC, bendable posts from his local library.

OP, I shop at the local thrift store for my clothes. The only thing I really spend any amount of money on are my guns/accessories and I try not to get attached to them in case I need to sell them.

I also buy meat for my boys and I in bulk and put it in small packages and vacuum seal them/freeze them in my upright freezer. The meat lasts a long time and I save money by buying in bulk.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Stay single

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, IIRC, bendable posts from his local library.

That I did not know and it explains everything I need to know.

I think I have reached the end of the internet finally.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid to shop generic brands. You may have to pick and choose, but most of the time generic items are nearly equal to, if not as good, as name brands.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Stay single

Actually, economies of scale says pooling resources would be more efficient.

So maybe instead of staying single, find a productive partner with good money habits.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
A Costco chicken cannot be beat for 4.99. 3 meals for the two of us. We buy one per week.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

A Costco chicken,

This!!!!

It is far superior to the National chain that sells them for $7.99. Seriously, they are bigger and better cooked, IMO.

I do love me some chicken!!!

Costco offers some really well made dinners.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Make a budget and stick with it no matter what. You and your spouse have a one hour financial meeting once a week. Dave Ramsey has a very simple app to help establish a budget and to track your spending. If you don't have any funds in reserve yet, first put $1K aside to cover unforeseen emergencies, then establish your budget and pay yourself before your creditors until you have some cushion built up, then pay off all your debt using the Debt Snowball. Get rid of your credit cards and pay cash only.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Coupons.

A friend of ours is one of those people who goes through the grocery checkout with 3 full carts and they give her $6 in cash.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Stay single

Actually, economies of scale says pooling resources would be more efficient.

So maybe instead of staying single, find a productive partner with good money habits.

LOL. You’re hilarious Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
It may be easier for some people to spend time and energy thinking about how to make more money rather than spend less. About the only thing we cheap out on are cars. For some reason I can't pay a lot of money for a new car, I tend to buy a reasonable car (not cheap and not luxurious, but rather practical) and keep it for ten years or 100 thousand miles whichever comes last. I also tend to be anal about taking care of my stuff so I don't waste much replacing or fixing things before the useful life is well exceeded. Beyond that we pretty much do what we want when we want and don't worry about it. I've lived my life making sure I earn more than I will be needing to live the way I want.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
We make tuna sandwiches for work lunch. Also make our own salad with chicken in it and take that for lunch. You would be surprised what eating healthy will do for your body and your wallet.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Also, get quicken, use it, and track every penny.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap meals when I was single: Buy some 50lb bags of rice from a local Asian / Indian store. At the same time, get some lentils, beans, and spices to build many different meals. When grocery stores have big sales on canned foods such as black beans, get a bunch as they last for years.

Clean out 6 two-liter pop bottles and pour the rice into those. That lets you keep one out for cooking and throw the rest in a closet.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Lots advice about shopping.

You have enough of everything but food I’d bet. Make do with current inventory. Till clothing is threadbare keep wearing it. Mow the lawn every other week. Don’t eat out ever, period. Freeload whenever possible, bring a bag of generic chips to the potluck, and eat hearty. Liability insurance for the car, if it must have collision sell it you have too much car. If you are here you must shoot, quit it’s damn expensive, drop the rest of your hobbies.

Poor folks have poor habits, embrace them.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post