SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA for BGE, Kamodo Joe, and other Kamodo grill owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA for BGE, Kamodo Joe, and other Kamodo grill owners Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Just remembered that it's been a while since I tightened all of the bolts on the BGE and if you own a kamodo style grill you should do the same. Afterall, it's recommended periodic maintenance and could prevent a fire or large expenditure.

About this time 3 years ago, I dodged a bullet and learned a valuable lesson on preventive maintenance. Rather than bumping a 3 year old thread with some thread drift, here are the pertinent parts about being an inch or two from being out 600+ dollars:
quote:
Tonight, I was grilling beef fajitas at about 650 degrees. My process is to cook with the lid closed, open to flip, close lid, open to flip and measure temperature, close lid, and open every minute or so to flip and check internal temp.

I was quite surprised this evening when I opened the lid for the 2nd flip, and the ceramic top half goes sailing into the lawn. Fortunately, the ceramic top half didn't break and the lawn didn't catch fire. Upon further inspection, the bolt that holds the steel ring tight around the ceramic and connects to the hinge hand backed its way out.

I finished cooking and ate as the lid cooled for about 20 minutes. Then, I grabbed my 900 degree bbq gloves and set the lid back on the base. Everything is back sealed up and I was able to smother the blazing hot charcoal (kind of worried about that).

The reason I'm sharing is to suggest everyone who owns a BGE, Primo, Kamodo Joe, or other ceramic kamodo to inspect their bolts for tightness. I'd hate to have someone have the same thing happen, but break their top half or start a fire.
quote:
I'm going to use this opportunity to change out the gasket between the top halves, and when I reattach the lid hinge I'm going to lock-tite the bolts.

You can tell where both the dome (aka top half of BGE) and the variable vent sat in the lawn for about 20 minutes.

After I picked them both up, I ran the sprinklers 5 minutes plus the zone got its normal 0.5" of water at 5:30 AM.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is a very close call! I'm glad you didn't have to get a new one.

Thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Saw a post on FB BGE page where the ring was shifting as a guy opened the lid. As heavy as those things are checking them from time to time is probably a good idea.

Anyone know if they have a TQ setting, be nice to know, use a TQ wrench and don't overtighten, blue locktite (medium) might be a good idea too.

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Rocksett for a thread locker.The automobile high heat thread lockers don't meet the temperature threshholds.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Good to know.
Watch out for backdraft too when you open it early on.
It can trim your eyebrows and arm hair real quick. Frown

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^ BGE calls safely opening it burping.
quote:
Avoid Backdrafts or Flashback
Once an EGG is lit, always carefully vent or “burp” it before opening the dome fully by cracking it slowly a few times about an inch or two first – this allows the incoming air to enter slowly and helps avoid a flashback. Use extra caution when opening a hot EGG with closed vents, as the sudden rush of air can cause a dangerous flare up. If you have a flame flare-up – quickly close the lid and the air vents to control the flame, and use extreme caution when re-opening your EGG. It is always advisable to wear heat resistant gloves, and to take care to protect yourself. DO NOT allow children to play near a hot EGG or to open the dome!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Internal combustion engines endure high temperatures, wild swings in temperature, vibration, and all manner of stresses, day in, day out, day after day without having fasteners loosen. So does all kinds of other equipment and machinery. ISTM this is a design flaw. It also strikes me as a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post