SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goya brand cactus? (And now I’ve tried it)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goya brand cactus? (And now I’ve tried it) Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
As a result of Para’s recommendation for Goya products:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...850091274#3850091274

I bought some Goya black beans at my grocery. I noticed jars of Goya cactus nearby, but didn’t buy any. But I’ve become curious about them. I have no idea what they’re like. Has anyone here tried them? Can you describe them as similar to some other veggie? Here’s the Amazon link:

Goya Foods Tender Cactus (Nopalitos)

www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE6ICK/r..._api_i_bJygFbPCRPW11

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them- they are a bit like green beans in flavor. I have never tried this recipe, but it looks good-

Nopales Salad

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This might help:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what...cm&atb=v192-1&ia=web

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that. This seems to be a good answer for my question:

“The taste of the pads resembles asparagus, green bean or green pepper. Some even compare it to zucchini.”

https://eatrbox.com/cactus-taste/

I’m going to try them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Drift warning
Thanks for supporting Goya here on SigForum, Goya has a nice plant just west of Houston that hires a bunch of folks.

There is a growing concerted effort by conservative Hispanics to increase the visibility and refute that all tan voters vote Democrat! Your support of this quality brand will embolden future Hispanic CEOs to support pro-business politicians publicly without fear of being cancelled.

As a conservative Hispanic I know my extended family is 95% conservative (we do have a lefty or two) and pro family, pro faith and pro small business.

Thanks again for your support of this Houston brand.
I am not affiliated with Goya in anyway just live in the region.

HK Ag

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Goya stuff is a little more than our typical HEB branded purchase, but I picked up Goya on our last grocery run due to the support seen here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in our house, we are going out of our way to buy Goya since this happened.

There is a market here that is owned by a true conservative- Alfie Oakes. Seed to Table is making a matching donation of what is purchased. Alfie Oakes against Cancel Culture

He is great- does a lot for the community. and BLM seem to hate him.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Nopalitos are delicious.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Drift warning
Thanks for supporting Goya here on SigForum, Goya has a nice plant just west of Houston that hires a bunch of folks.

There is a growing concerted effort by conservative Hispanics to increase the visibility and refute that all tan voters vote Democrat! Your support of this quality brand will embolden future Hispanic CEOs to support pro-business politicians publicly without fear of being cancelled.

As a conservative Hispanic I know my extended family is 95% conservative (we do have a lefty or two) and pro family, pro faith and pro small business.

Thanks again for your support of this Houston brand.
I am not affiliated with Goya in anyway just live in the region.

HK Ag

Thank You for posting that. I have been a loyal customer for Goya black beans for ages. I love Cuban food and many recopies call for Moros y Cristianos on the side. I'm very glad to hear that conservative Hispanics are speaking up!

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I will buy some Goya malta this weekend, and maybe some ginger beer, and maybe some beans. Fuck those neo-stalinists.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I married a Honduran, I get stabbed if I come home with a brand other than Goya.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I told a Salvadoriian friend that I had Type II Diabetes she said to eat Nopalitos. On the Mayo clinic website:
"Some preliminary evidence shows that prickly pear cactus can decrease blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Some research also suggests that prickly pear cactus extract may lessen the unpleasant effects of a hangover, possibly due to its anti-inflammatory effects"
I buy Dona Maria nopalitos at Walmart & eat as a side salad.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4275 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And now I’ve tried it – very good, it is. Its taste is quite different than any other veggie that I know of. Glad to welcome a new flavor to my kitchen. Its physical form is 3/8” wide strips, ~1/8” thick, mostly 4 to 5 inches long.

Yesterday evening I cut some strips into shorter pieces, mixed in Accent (MSG) and fresh-ground black pepper, then heated it in my microwave. Had it as a side dish for my supper.

Good nutrition too. fiber is an important diet component, and I strive to get plenty of it. I also have to watch my weight closely, so I keep a list of foods that are:

#1 – tasty
#2 – have a high ratio of fiber/calories

And this cactus is at the top of my list, tied with Glory Collard Greens:

Goya Tender Cactus (Nopalitos)
120 gFiber/Kcal

Glory Simply Seasoned Collard Greens
120 gFiber/Kcal

Antioxidants too. Very glad that I finally discovered it.

Serious about crackers

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have had nopalitos in eggs. Like Pipe Smoker says, they don't taste a lot like anything else, but they aren't weird.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never tried the Goya nopalitos, but when I used to go to SoCal frequently on business there was a Mom & Pop Mexican restaurant that had a phenomenal nopalitos dish.

Might have to give Goya nopalitos a try.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I shop at Kroger (only because we don’t have Publix and I don’t like a Meijer grocery) and have seen Goya stuff in the past.
Kroger has the hangy down signs that tell you what is in the aisle. To my knowledge or recollection it never lists brands just generic like rice, beans, pasta, etc.
Well one of the labels on the sign is GOYA since the current Goya happenings I can’t find a single Goya product at Kroger and I look every week.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
<snip>
Well one of the labels on the sign is GOYA since the current Goya happenings I can’t find a single Goya product at Kroger and I look every week.

I buy mine at Ralph’s, which is the name for Kroger here in San Diego. There were many Goya products in stock as of last Saturday (July 25).

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I went grocery shopping yesterday and was looking specifically for Goya black beans....nada!! There were no Goya products on the shelves.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – Nopalitos are the pads of the prickly pear cactus. The thorns of that cactus are vicious, especially the tiny hair-like ones. Get ‘em into your socks and you’ll regret it. I’d like to know the commercial process for getting the thorns off the nopalitos.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
Nopalitos are a tender shoot and harvested in the spring.
They have not developed any kind of thorns yet.
When I lived in San Diego,a friend used to pick them and
prepare them with eggs in a scramble. Fresh nopales as he
called them were considered to be muy authentico but I never
found them to be very exciting.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post