SIGforum
Discrimination against white guys at work has begun.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6900001894

January 23, 2023, 09:11 AM
frayedends
Discrimination against white guys at work has begun.
Awhile ago I posted about my company implementing diversity policy to obtain more women and people of color.

Well since I can’t stand the job I took last year (same company, different jobs over 26 years) I reached out to my old boss. Short story is he wants me back and I want to go back. He had to jump through hoops to get a job level increased to hire me back.

So now I get the call offline. He can’t hire me until he interviews a woman and a person of color. The job description is literally written for me. I suppose I can’t complain unless I eventually don’t get the job. But it’s a frustrating delay.

These go to eleven.
January 23, 2023, 09:17 AM
roarindan
ain't no sayin he has to hire the other applicants,but he does have to interview.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen
January 23, 2023, 09:23 AM
mcrimm
I worked for a national financial company back in the 70's. I needed to hire a credit analyst as our growth justified it. I was told, in 1978 that I could only hire a woman or a person of color.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
January 23, 2023, 09:25 AM
stickman428
It could be worse. What if they took it a step further and would only consider hiring a minority?

Yeah it’s frustrating but try to look at the positive aspect of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
January 23, 2023, 09:37 AM
frayedends
What’s more frustrating is the delay. He needs to have applicants to interview. That could take a very long time.

These go to eleven.
January 23, 2023, 09:40 AM
Skull Leader
I'd go find two people and ask them if they want to make $50 for a ~20 minute awkward conversation.
January 23, 2023, 09:43 AM
bettysnephew
@frayedends
Identify as pink! That would make you a person of color.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
January 23, 2023, 09:48 AM
darthfuster
Does wearing fishnets and stilettos make you squeamish? You could have interviewed identifying as a woman......a really hawt woman, and killed two birds with one stone. Gender etc. is fluid these days.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
January 23, 2023, 09:48 AM
frayedends
Funny thing is that I’m 23% Portuguese. Portugal is part of Hispania. My great grandparents last name was Rodrigues until it was changed when they came here in 1895.

So technically I’m Hispanic. But no way to change that in my company profile now.

These go to eleven.
January 23, 2023, 10:10 AM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Funny thing is that I’m 23% Portuguese. Portugal is part of Hispania. My great grandparents last name was Rodrigues until it was changed when they came here in 1895.

So technically I’m Hispanic. But no way to change that in my company profile now.

Just start making people call you "Beto"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 23, 2023, 10:11 AM
RogueJSK
quote:

Funnily enough, that may not help anyway, if your company follows standard federal demographic classifications and their discrimination goes against anyone classified as the "White/Caucasian" race.

The standard racial classification system includes two separate questions:

"What is your race?" (Black, White, Native American, Asian or Pacific Islander)

and then

"Are you of Hispanic or Latino descent?" (Yes or No)

So even as a Hispanic, under that standard classification system you would still be considered part of the "White/Caucasian" race. It's a different ethnicity, but not a different race.

There can also be Black Hispanics (Haitian, Dominican, etc.) and Native American Hispanics (Maya, Quechua, Comanche, Yaqui, etc.).

But if they're strictly looking for a more nebulously defined "minority" or a "person of color", then you being Hispanic (regardless of race) would likely fit those categories.
January 23, 2023, 10:12 AM
HRK
quote:

Why not, if you can prove it, do it, the state and employers have been over run with progressive initiatives that hurt white males.

Play the game or get left behind.

January 23, 2023, 10:15 AM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I'd go find two people and ask them if they want to make $50 for a ~20 minute awkward conversation.

Big Grin. I like that plan!

God bless America.
January 23, 2023, 10:17 AM
Flash-LB
quote:

Funny you should bring that up.

Mrs. Flash worked for the County for over 20 years and suddenly the County said there was now such a thing as a "Double Minority". What that means is female and black or female and hispanic or whatever.

She also got told that a double minority could "bump" a single minority and they would do so, even single minorities with over 20 years seniority and she would probably be bumped.

So, since her Father is full blooded Portugese named Souza and her mother half Portugese and half Hawaiian, she went to HR and registered herself as Hispanic, thus keeping her job until she retird at 31 years of working for the County.

Unbelivable isn't it and one of the major reasons I started my own company, to escape this lunacy called "affirmative action."
January 23, 2023, 10:28 AM
corsair
Soft bigotry.

Until someone, perhaps a class-action suit, can be brought to the courts, with solid evidence, such practices won't be overturned or, blunted.
January 23, 2023, 10:32 AM
V-Tail
When I was hiring software engineers to work in my department at a large telecommunication company, my criteria were Coincidentally, the very best guy I ever hired was black. His ability was outstanding, everybody loved to work with him, and the bonus was that he was a superb classical pianist; I went to several of his recitals, and he got great reviews from the music critics.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
January 23, 2023, 10:43 AM
jhe888
quote:

So . . . playing the race card would be an option?

(And I get it, but I hope the irony isn't lost on you.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
January 23, 2023, 10:53 AM
IrishWind
It is the way. I remember applying for a job, more out as a joke, that was so tailored, it was clearly written for a guy in uniform to transition to GS work. Thing like "must have briefed Joint Chiefs for a minimum of 13 months on specific, narrow topic. And earned a Master or higher in very specific, narrow area related to said briefing from a specific university" Only items missing was "be certain rank or higher and retire on a certain date and/or you name must be "BGEN Bob Smith". But the game is government jobs do have to be posted, and I'm sure two or three people were called just so the boxes were checked.

Hopefully your guy can work through the BS for you and you become that guy the job description is tailored for.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!
January 23, 2023, 10:54 AM
parabellum
Actually, that kind of discriminatory bullshit started many years ago.
January 23, 2023, 11:00 AM
TMats
I endured that kind of discrimination through my entire Forest Service career. I’ve thought about writing about the many examples of blatant violations of the Civil Rights Act, but decided it’s in the past now, and it’s likely no one would care anyway. I understand in U.S. government, and many corporations, it has become increasingly difficult for white women to advance in their careers.