SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    dumb question re: water service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dumb question re: water service Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I was reading my water bill and it says I have a 3/4" service / meter.

But the main gate valve at the house seems to be a 1 1/4" valve and and a 1 1/4" copper line based on circumference. It gets reduced to 1" copper pipe right before entering the house (again based on circumference).

Does this sound right? What does it mean when it's a 3/4" service or meter but they use 1 1/4" or 1" pipe? Why doesn't it match?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most pipe is measured based on the opening size of the pipe. If it looks like 1" on the outside, it probably is 3/4" pipe.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I get ID and OD. Based on the OD, I have 1 1/4" pipe at the house that gets reduced to 1" pipe going into the house.

But my bill indicates a 3/4" service or 3/4" meter. Not sure what 3/4" service means when I have 1, 1 1/4" pipe being used. And not even sure why it matters - whatever that 3/4" represents since I'm paying for amount of water used, whatever the pipe diameter.

What does 3/4" service mean? Apparently unrelated to the pipe size.....

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Most residential meters are 5/8ths or 3/4 referring again to the ID.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Your meter is a 3/4” meter but the larger main supply line helps with demand in the house. I’m not sure it needs to be that big but it definitely doesn’t hurt.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2249 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Okay, sounds like no big deal and typical - no match needed between meter size and line size. I would have thought that the meter size needed to be as large or larger than line size. But I guess not.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The tap on the main (they may call it a ferrule) would be ¾” and the meter would be ⅝”. They call that a ¾” water service. In areas of lower pressure or low flow (or fluctuations of both) there’s nothing to stop the installer from using a bigger pipe, to improve flow (less restrictive). Q=V*A. Increase the quantity by increasing the area of the pipe, assuming the velocity remains constant regardless.

My water comes through the front wall directly to a ¾” full port ball valve, runs in ¾” all the way to the meter couplings, which are connected via ¾” x ½” female adapters. Then BANG it goes to 1” vertical and horizontal header. The front hose bib? 1 x ¾” tee, ¾” x 24” galvanized nipple, full port iron pipe ball valve with ¾” x hose fitting. Great water FLOW into and out of the hose.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. I have a long run uphill from the meter to the house. So I’m guessing the larger line is beneficial, especially with lower pressure. I’ve just never noticed the different sizing.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The intake & discharge for the meter is 3/4. That’s how they measure the amount that goes thru it. Everything else is moot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I installed a new 1" PVC or similar water line from the shutoff valve at the street thru the basement wall to our meter. The overall length of run from the main line in the street to my house is only about 60 feet. Our house was built in about 1910 and the original line was iron/galvanized pipe.

We have several hose hydrants around the property, and losing flow/pressure when running two or more at the same time is a nuisance. I also like the convenience of washing the truck while my wife is doing the laundry, or refilling the hot tub from two hoses.

We have a 3/4" meter. A few years ago I asked our municipal water company tech if this was the restriction in getting more flow, since the supply line is 1", the shutoff valve at the street is larger, and we have 1" copper in the basement from the meter to the first "T" fitting in the line. He said they can test the flow, and we could upgrade to a 1" meter, if it would help. But, they say they have a higher monthly rate for the larger meter, around $10 more, I recall.

That's my experience in this area.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post