SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Self-healing Targets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self-healing Targets Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
At the handgun range yestiddy, one of the RSOs gave me a nudge and told me there was a reactive target on one of the lanes if I wanted to try. Took a few shots at it, then noticed the holes closed up a few minutes later. Never heard of these self-healing targets before, though it doesn't surprise me. It looked like below, except this one was a natural color, not red.

Anyone else use these?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How well did it react?
Was there a lot of movement?

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It just jiggled for a few seconds after each shot, so I could tell if I got a hit without resorting to my spotting scope. No noise, however.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have them at my range. They're venom green and they move more if the shots are not in the center and are more towards the edges.I like them because you get instant feedback for each shot.

The company also has ones that are hinged and automatically reset themselves after being hit.

Ball ammo is best for long target life.
They are not made for buckshot, slugs or
hollow point ammo.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Found a good explanatory video on these. May have to order some.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting

Posts: 53071 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Nice video. But they're only shooting .22 and at what distance? They put up one target with staple gun.How much impact can a staple hold?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It did fine against 9mm at 15 yards. I doubt if there's much strain imparted to the attachment point through that thin strip of material.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tip on the Double Action reactive targets: Check the price on Amazon.

Buying two or more, cheaper from Double Action, but if you're only buying one, the cost is lower at Amazon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We cut the end off one of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums once to use as a backer. Best I’ve ever used. Easy to staple and most holes self healed like that.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I watched the video, twice, and I can see the color change from impact fade, but I didn’t see anything that looked like “healing” of the hole. Any idea how long these last? They say “good for hundreds of rounds”. Seems quite expensive for a one time use item.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The one I used didn't do a color change (it was a translucent natural color). I noticed the holes healing up before I realized it was designed to do that.

Expensive, depends how you look at it. A comparable amount of Shoot*N*Cs might be way more expensive.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Interesting. For how many rounds of 9mm will it last before needing to buy a new one?

I’d be interested in using this while affixed to a backstop board.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Don't know. They say "hundreds of rounds". I only put 5-6 rds through it myself.

From their website:

quote:
How long will they last?

These targets will hold their shape and integrity through hundreds and hundreds of hits. The color change effect will last the life of the target as long as you store them properly.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That might be okay. I’d probably use it for 25+ yards.

10 yards or less I’ve been using 2” or 3” SnC.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
While researching the Double Action targets I came across these Newbold self-sealing targets. The features of the Double Action targets interest me more, but this might be viable alternative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXTuUJNEZOI

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, those look like a nice alternative. Newbold makes the more extensive Throom product line.

Double Action also offers their products in a knock-down version for those that need...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Hello all. Thanks for looking into our targets. I saw some traffic from the site and figured I'd go see if I could find the source thread. I'll try and respond to some of the questions in the thread.

Regarding lifetime and caliber, most of the pictures and videos on the site were shot with .45ACP and 9mm. We've got targets with 600+ shots of 9mm that we take to shows and still have plenty of life left in them, even after being manhandled by thousands of people. I'll try and find some pictures and post them in later responses. I'm confident that you won't find a more durable self-healing target. The primary consideration is protecting them from UV light when not shooting to preserve the color.

I personally only attach the swinging gong targets with two 9/16" staples and have no problem even with .45ACP. The caveat to mounting is that the targets need to be able to swing and stretch to let the bullet pass through, so you do not want them against a backstop. If they're against a backstop, you may get a hole or permanent color change.

Regarding the healing aspect, the hole springs closed instantly, and the color change lasts a few moments, depending on the ambient temperature.

Double Action Reactive Targets - Reactive | Self-Healing | Awesome
www.DA-Targets.com

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 01, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The one I used didn't do a color change (it was a translucent natural color). I noticed the holes healing up before I realized it was designed to do that.

I'm very curious about a natural-colored target being out in the wild...do you happen to have any pictures?

Double Action Reactive Targets - Reactive | Self-Healing | Awesome
www.DA-Targets.com

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 01, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post