SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bucket List Item Checked - Watching the Start of the Iditarod!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bucket List Item Checked - Watching the Start of the Iditarod! Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
As someone who grew up reading novels and short stories by Jack London, this weekend was a definite bucket list day, watching the official start of the Iditarod! It’s the modern equivalent of everything he wrote about; the bond between dogs and their handlers, the struggle between man and nature, snow, the independent spirit of giving the middle finger to society and I’m in fucking ALASKA!

I thought being in the second row of the NASCAR race at Vegas was being close to the action, but it’s nothing compared to standing next to the Iditarod Trail and high fiving the mushers as they go by. It really is a party out on the frozen lake; locals tearing around on snow machines, kids having snowball fights, grills fired up and coolers full of adult beverages.
The Iditarod is unique to Alaska and it really is a big deal up here. You almost have to live up here to understand. It’s the awakening from the darkness of the short days of winter, the start of spring and a reason for everyone to get outside and experience what it’s like to live in Alaska.

There’s few more things I want to cross off my bucket list for Alaska, but this weekend was a big one!

Fans lining up along the trail across Willow Lake. Yes, it's actually a frozen over lake.

Getting close to the action, high fiving mushers!

My favorite dog in the race, Burglar, one of the lead dogs on Jeff King's team.

Headed for Nome!

View of Denali from the deck of the lodge in Talkeetna this morning, almost makes up for the Northern Lights being a bust last night.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Great pics!

Looks like great weather for the official start in Willow.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Good shot of Jessie from Life below Zero, number 5 .

That is a goodly crowd of folks.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I remember Paul Harvey used to always cover this event.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post