New
Find
Notify
Tools

Envy is evil Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5650 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That's why it's the 10th commandment.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“Envy is a really stupid sin because it’s the only one you could never possibly have any fun at. There’s a lot of pain and no fun. Why would you want to get on that trolley?” — Charles Munger

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was covetousness or excessive envy.

A little envy can be motivating.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I always thought it was covetousness or excessive envy.

A little envy can be motivating.

Not quite.
Covet is to wish you had something your neighbor has.
Envy is to wish your neighbor didn't have something you don't

Covet may be motivating, if material is something you think is with it, but envy is simple destruction and evil.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The ancients who came up with all the different “commandments” deemed it a sin to envy or covet something not one’s own because thinking about something, e.g., “I’d sure like to have Joseph’s sheep (or slave or wife or …),” is the first step toward taking action to acquire that thing. Thinking about it leads to taking action, and that action can be theft or robbery or rape or adultery or even murder. Those actions in turn can be disastrous in a small, tight-knit community, and it’s therefore very sound advice to say, “Don’t even think about (covet) it.”

The commandments about coveting or lust are much less applicable today because we no longer live in a small community in which everyone must get along. I can covet the Mona Lisa without the possibility of harming anyone, including myself. Coveting my co-worker’s iPad, however, might lead me to doing something that’s actually bad.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47439 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"covet, heavy on the covet, Father"

Posts: 21144 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post