My cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine
For the first time in recorded history my cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine. After simvastatin caused very high blood sugar levels the VA finally prescribed Praluent (alirocumab). After 4 months my readings are 154.0, HDL is 56.0, LDL is 73.0, & ratio is 2.8. Down from 272.0, HDL 48.0, LDL 173.0 & ratio was 5.7.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!
Sigs Owned - A Bunch
August 21, 2026, 11:58 AM
SpinZone
You've got my interest since this is not a Statin.
Does the Praluent impact your blood sugar levels at all? Have you noticed any of the listed side effects?
“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna
"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally." -Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management
August 21, 2026, 12:42 PM
Anush
No impact on blood sugar & I check at least once a day. No side effects for me and I have side effects for most medications. About four years ago the VA finally prescribed Ozempic after I had side effects for all other blood sugar meds. So now I am on Praluent, Ozempic & Lisinopril.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!
Sigs Owned - A Bunch
August 21, 2026, 01:41 PM
V-Tail
Any impact on blood pressure?
הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 21, 2026, 02:32 PM
tatortodd
I'm on the competitor product called Repatha. Both are every 2-week injectibles.
My cardiologist has to get a special yearly exemption from my insurance to prescribe instead of statin. Easy for me as Crestor caused 11 to 15 migraines per month.
Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity
DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
August 21, 2026, 02:50 PM
oldfireguy
quote:
I'm on the competitor product called Repatha.
My wife has been on this for a couple of years and it's made a world of difference in her numbers.
August 21, 2026, 03:00 PM
HRK
Going to ask my Cardo, they have me on Atorvastatin and I want off, biggest side effect was memory recall on simple things I never had issues recalling prior.
Mine was low to begin with and he just wanted it lower...
Plus if it doesn't bother blood sugar I'm all in...
August 21, 2026, 03:32 PM
Chowser
I'll ask my doctor about this since I'm still on simvastatin. My insurance just dropped rybelsus for my type 2 treatment so I want to switch more than just that.
Not minority enough!
August 21, 2026, 04:28 PM
SigSAC
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser: I'll ask my doctor about this since I'm still on simvastatin. My insurance just dropped rybelsus for my type 2 treatment so I want to switch more than just that.
It wasn't your insurance - the company that makes it has replaced with two other medications - the Ozempic pill for blood sugar, and Wegovy for weight control.
The Ozempic pill is said to have a higher bioavailability, so the dosage is lower. Those on Rybelsus 14mg will transition to Ozempic 9mg.
The Wegovy pill has higher dosages to help effect changes in weight.
I just checked, and it appears that the deliveries of Rybelsus to pharmacies stopped in May.This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSAC,