SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
My cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine Login/Join 
Member
posted
For the first time in recorded history my cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine. After simvastatin caused very high blood sugar levels the VA finally prescribed Praluent (alirocumab). After 4 months my readings are 154.0, HDL is 56.0, LDL is 73.0, & ratio is 2.8. Down from 272.0, HDL 48.0, LDL 173.0 & ratio was 5.7.


__________________________________________________

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
 
Posts: 4640 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You've got my interest since this is not a Statin.

Does the Praluent impact your blood sugar levels at all? Have you noticed any of the listed side effects?



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

 
Posts: 4538 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No impact on blood sugar & I check at least once a day. No side effects for me and I have side effects for most medications. About four years ago the VA finally prescribed Ozempic after I had side effects for all other blood sugar meds. So now I am on Praluent, Ozempic & Lisinopril.


__________________________________________________

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
 
Posts: 4640 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Any impact on blood pressure?



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm on the competitor product called Repatha. Both are every 2-week injectibles.

My cardiologist has to get a special yearly exemption from my insurance to prescribe instead of statin. Easy for me as Crestor caused 11 to 15 migraines per month.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 25810 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm on the competitor product called Repatha.


My wife has been on this for a couple of years and it's made a world of difference in her numbers.
 
Posts: 2152 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Going to ask my Cardo, they have me on Atorvastatin and I want off, biggest side effect was memory recall on simple things I never had issues recalling prior.

Mine was low to begin with and he just wanted it lower...

Plus if it doesn't bother blood sugar I'm all in...
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my doctor about this since I'm still on simvastatin. My insurance just dropped rybelsus for my type 2 treatment so I want to switch more than just that.



Not minority enough!
 
Posts: 8806 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I'll ask my doctor about this since I'm still on simvastatin. My insurance just dropped rybelsus for my type 2 treatment so I want to switch more than just that.


It wasn't your insurance - the company that makes it has replaced with two other medications - the Ozempic pill for blood sugar, and Wegovy for weight control.

The Ozempic pill is said to have a higher bioavailability, so the dosage is lower. Those on Rybelsus 14mg will transition to Ozempic 9mg.

The Wegovy pill has higher dosages to help effect changes in weight.

I just checked, and it appears that the deliveries of Rybelsus to pharmacies stopped in May.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSAC,
 
Posts: 2993 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
PCSK9 inhibitor are awesome.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6282 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My cholesterol has dropped to normal with a new medicine

© SIGforum 2026