SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spam email with a contacts name but different address
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spam email with a contacts name but different address Login/Join 
posted
I regularly get spam email in my Junk folder which shows up as being from my sister but the senders email address is not hers and is different every time. There is only one email address for my sister in my contacts. It is a gmail account. I only get these emails to my iCloud email address.
Is this a potential problem waiting to explode? Can anyone say if this my problem or on her end? Blocking doesn’t work because the sender address changes.
When I change her name in my Contacts, the name in the header of the email in Junk folder does not change.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's likely the email address book/contacts on her end was compromised. The SPAM is generated using her name, which they have and all of the contacts/email addresses in her address book.

Pro Tip: Always hover over the Sender in an unsolicited email (while still in your Inbox!) to verify the sending email address BEFORE clicking on/opening the email. This can only be done from a PC, but by being vigilant and always checking unsolicited emails in this manner, headaches (and malicious software/viruses/malware!) can be avoided. You can thank me later Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I get about 70 of those things every day. Annoying as Hell.
Mine show up in my main email address. The spam folder is another story.
Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rbert0005,

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lately, my hit parade has been spam with NO sender in the sender line. Its blank.

Crap I get 10 times a day.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one of her accounts has been hacked. If she is on Facebook that would be the first choice.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
I regularly get spam email in my Junk folder which shows up as being from my sister but the senders email address is not hers and is different every time.
This is pretty common.
quote:
Is this a potential problem waiting to explode?
Not IMO.
quote:
Can anyone say if this my problem or on her end?
Probably neither (see below).
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Sounds like one of her accounts has been hacked.
More likely a contact of his sister's has been compromised by an address book-harvesting virus/worm/Trojan and it snagged all the info in that contacts address book, incl. his sister's.

Or Yet Another On-Line Business' database has been compromised and they got his sister's info from that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I get 5 or 6 spam emails from my own email address. When I block the sender it often shows a UK address.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a blocked one of them before I noticed the different email address on each one. I seem to be getting at least one a week recently.
One more detail is that my sister is my ICE contact. I doubt it makes any difference. Im a little comforted that my email account doesn't recognize the spam as my contact. Changing her name in the contacts does not change the name on the spam. All of the emails go to Junk after the first few. All of the emails are offering a link to view old photos from our childhood.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Sounds like one of her accounts has been hacked. If she is on Facebook that would be the first choice.

Not hacked. If your FB page is not locked down properly, anyone can see all of your posts and all of your friends. Scammers can "scrape" that data list of friends, create fake email addresses for you and your friends, and send spam and phishing attacks at will. They are tapping into your network since they have names and associates. All they need is the email addresses and people add those to FB too.

Social media is a huge bucket full of information.

So - Lock your Facebook profiles...
https://www.howtogeek.com/7738...ur-facebook-profile/

This will also prevent people from "duplicating" your Facebook profile. They look at your profile and create another account with your profile pic and similar posts. They can also copy images from your posts and use them on this fake profile.

THEN start sending out "invitations" to those of your friends on your real friends list. Of course, some friends realize this is strange as you are already "friends," but some will accept the friend request anyway.

Lock down your FB accounts ... this hides your list of friends and all of your posts.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lock down your FB accounts
or, perhaps, avoid FB completely!

Posts: 6506 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a missed call today. Evidently I called myself. I must have been busy, so I didn't answer the call. I did not leave a voicemail for myself, so I don't know what I wanted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
https://haveibeenpwned.com

Check the email at one of these sites.

(2FA on ALL accounts...largely solves this problem)

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post