SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Office chair vs gaming chair for working from home?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office chair vs gaming chair for working from home? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ergos are different.

A task chair is different than a workstation chair, a conference room chair, and a gaming chair.

Each may be comfortable for short durations, but may not be optimal over a long period of time doing something outside it's intended function.

If you spend time sitting upright over an open book or documents arranged on your desk, you may find a gaming chair to be too reclined and slung back over a period of time.

If you are just locked on a screen and your keyboard/mouse position don't move, a gaming chair would be ok.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The ergo mesh chairs are an either you love 'em or hate 'em proposition.

Invariably when we have a thread about chairs the pro ergo gang comes out in force advocating the 4 figure investment.

In the past I'd countered with a story of an USAF Colonel and I going into town to try out a huge number of office chairs for our offices which included the Herman Miller and like. We both could not get comfortable in them despite the sales people tweaking any number of settings. And, as importantly, the mesh was a huge departure from padded designs be they cloth or leather. A departure neither of us found favor with. Lets cut to the chase... we both hated the mesh offerings we auditioned.
We ended up with plush high back "judges" real leather chairs. Mine followed me around the base for a decade as my offices and assignments changed.

So the advice here is don't pontificate but do share your experiences. Just because you like a mesh ergo job doesn't mean the next guy will.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Ergos are different.

A task chair is different than a workstation chair, a conference room chair, and a gaming chair.

Each may be comfortable for short durations, but may not be optimal over a long period of time doing something outside it's intended function.

If you spend time sitting upright over an open book or documents arranged on your desk, you may find a gaming chair to be too reclined and slung back over a period of time.

If you are just locked on a screen and your keyboard/mouse position don't move, a gaming chair would be ok.

Not all 'Gaming Chairs' are the same. IMO, the Secretlab chair has every adjustment you'd ever need in a task/workstation/office chair. The seat back reclines independently from the chair and it has an adjustable lumbar support as well. It also has a true 'knee tilt' feature so your feet never come off the floor. The arms adjust in width, height & angle to accommodate any task and/or body size/type.

Honestly, it is just as adjustable as ANY office chair sans one almost never used adjustment. I'm speaking of the one which essentially inclines the seat forward slightly for presumably forward reaching/focused tasks. I can't ever imagine using such a adjustment position, and I've had it available to me on an chair I used in an office environment for a few years in a past job. Just sayin'... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The Secretlab chairs sound great. My only concern is the one Nismo mentioned on the previous page about headphone cords getting snagged. I could see them getting ripped off my head when stand to reach for a file.

Some of them seem to recline. Would that work for scanning/reading through documents or would it probably set me to far back from my screens?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, they do make wireless headphones if that's really an issue. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Steelcase Amia is my favorite "affordable" office chair. Typically about $600.

Close friend worked from home for the better part of the last decade and he only just replaced his. He's a taller guy 6'2" and about 230lbs.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
We use the Aeron chairs at work. I hate them, and it seems like most of my coworkers do as well. They also don't seem to be very durable. The inserts that hold the seat base to the rest of the chair are poorly designed and seem to break with disturbing regularity (I have a broken one on my desk awaiting repair right now as a matter of fact).

All chairs break, but for the price of these I don't think it should happen so often.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I grabbed one of these last night for $99. I'll let you know my thoughts when it gets here in a couple of days:
Devoko Ergonomic Gaming Chair

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a used office furniture store near you and sit in lots of chairs.

Most have a large inventory from companies closing office space, but prices have not come down as much as expected because so many people are setting up home offices.

Everyone will find a different chair comfortable.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Go to a used office furniture store near you and sit in lots of chairs.

Most have a large inventory from companies closing office space, but prices have not come down as much as expected because so many people are setting up home offices.

Everyone will find a different chair comfortable.

This is what my wife and I did except we were looking for new chairs. I've been sitting in office type chairs for over 30 years (unfortunately) and it actually didn't occur to me to even look at gaming chairs when it came time to buy a chair for my home office. A teammate of mine has a gaming chair and says it's great (don't know what brand).

In my current place we have what I think are the low end Herman Miller and I never thought it was all that comfortable. I ended up with a Steelcase and do like it quite a bit. Aside from the arm rests (which I don't use and push out of the way) the critical thing for me is that the chair seat is adjustable back and forth so that the edge of the seat isn't right in the middle of my thigh.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
...They also don't seem to be very durable. The inserts that hold the seat base to the rest of the chair are poorly designed and seem to break with disturbing regularity (I have a broken one on my desk awaiting repair right now as a matter of fact).

All chairs break, but for the price of these I don't think it should happen so often.

That's odd. Mines been flawless for eleven years. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs.

Edit - I would have expected the piston to give out by now. But it's fine. I'm thinking of ordering a spare for less downtime.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I recently bought an office chair after a long search. I'm very particular about office chairs as I want arm rests but I want the arm rests to go low enough so that my shoulders aren't being pushed up by my elbows resting on the arm rests.

I was seriously considering the X Chair that they run from $700 to 1100.

I finally found one that meets my needs and it looks like it functions like the X chair except it doesn't have heat or massage. I bought the High-Back Exceutive model for $414 when it was on ssale at office depot. I see that it's priced $540 now. But I would still recommend it even at that price. I ordered it by mail.

Link

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Edit - I would have expected the piston to give out by now. But it's fine. I'm thinking of ordering a spare for less downtime.

When I bought my Aeron, it was to replace a $200 Ikea leather office chair that had its piston go out. I'd had it for about 15 years. So I would certainly hope that an Aeron piston would last a while.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My computer chair at home is a Lazy-Boy.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Do look for a local office supply store that does used furniture. There are some real steals in those places

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Few years ago I opted to keep the cheap Office Depot chair I have that's not very comfortable, and buy a standing desk to replace my old one. I love this setup because after about an hour or so of sitting in that chair it becomes uncomfortable prompting me to raise the desk and stand up. Now I find myself standing more of the day than sitting and I feel better overall. Just another perspective to consider.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
DXRacer gaming chair with some elbow pillows. Lumbar support, neck support, memory foam seat cushion. I sit in mine 8+ hours a day and love it compared to any other chair I've sat in. This is taking chronic back pain into account.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A26AECK

Is the one I have, but looks like it isn't being sold anymore.

https://smile.amazon.com/Elbow...id=1627001144&sr=8-3

For the elbows.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
For what it's worth I grabbed one of these last night for $99. I'll let you know my thoughts when it gets here in a couple of days:
Devoko Ergonomic Gaming Chair

How did you like the chair?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post