SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a water jug
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a water jug Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been using a Coleman 6001 water jug for years but the o ring and spout are worn out and it leaks.
It’s time for a new 1 gallon water jug, and there are so many choices I figured I’d ask for opinions. I do like Yeti products but I’m not willing to spend $130 on their jug yet. I work primarily outside and I use ice. What do you recommend?

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would look for something USA made. Maybe Igloo or Reliance possibly

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind going bigger, this is US made: https://www.menards.com/main/o...6b&ipos=15&exp=false

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too big, I want to stay with 1 gallon.

posted Hide Post
Looks like anything from reliance would take way too long to put ice in.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
WalMart has a 1 gallon stainless steel vacuum jug for $30. I’ve had the half gallon version for 5 years now. The only issue is the ice tends to block the spout. It’s easy to fill with ice though as the screw off lid is as wide as the jug.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I'd go with that Ozark trail above from WalMart. Hate WM but can't argue with the price. It's gonna be hard to buy American in stainless steel for less than 50 duckets.
Ozark Trail Stainless Steel 1 Gallon Water Jug

I think I like that 1/2 gallon one better. Does it keep ice pretty good?

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ice all day, even left in the car in the Florida sun.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
https://rticoutdoors.com/Jug?s...=Navy&material=Matte

Get on their email list and wait for a sale. I have a gallon jug, and I KNOW I didn't pay $50 for (I wouldn't have). I have a bunch of smaller ones as well.

I did my own side by side test with their large tumblers a few years back. A Yeti, RTIC and a Walmart ozark trail. Wasn't real scientific. All basically identical, six feet away you wouldn't know which was which. I put ice in them all and left them on my kitchen counter. I don't recall how long it lasted, several days, 3? 4 days? The Yeti DID do the best, beating the RTIC by maybe an hour? Maybe two? Which considering it was less than half the price, and we're talking ice in a cup, that's insignificant. The Walmart one lost, but even still, we're talking 4-5 hours sooner? At a fraction of a Yeti.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For smaller sizes, I'm really happy with Hydroflask www.hydroflask.com out of Bend, Oregon.

Excellent product, but after browsing their site, the largest they have now is 64 oz.

I have a 40 oz, and it does, in fact, keep ice water 24 hours.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Hydroflask 64oz. Very happy with them. They hold beer too!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I'd go with that Ozark trail above from WalMart. Hate WM but can't argue with the price. It's gonna be hard to buy American in stainless steel for less than 50 duckets.
Ozark Trail Stainless Steel 1 Gallon Water Jug

I think I like that 1/2 gallon one better. Does it keep ice pretty good?

I’m also a fan of Ozark Trail products. Many of them are made at the same factory as the higher priced varieties.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Looks like anything from reliance would take way too long to put ice in.

I know nothing about water jugs, or what Reliance has to offer, but in case this helps relax your constraints in shopping, you may want to consider getting ice stick trays made for making ice narrow enough for thin-neck containers.

Something like this:

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post