SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Apple event.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Apple event. Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I thought there was some good things from the event. I'm sure there's Apple haters. Still they announced a few good products without much added cost over last year's premium with a fair amount of added features. We'll see how the promos roll out with the various carries, but I'm thinking trading in my iPhone 11 might be a good deal to move up to G5.

I've been an Apple guy for quite of few years, but I've had android device in the past so I'm not really an an android hater. My wife and I are tied in the Apple eco system with phones, ipads and my watch.

So, those that watched the "event" what say you?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I usually wait for the press articles to highlight what is announced.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
All but pre-ordered a 14 Pro Max in Deep Purple. Love that they’re getting rid of the notch and making the remainder more useful. Not crazy about going completely to eSIM, but I’m not hopping from iPhone to Android anymore.

May try the AirPods Max, but no on Apple Watch.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apple event

Didn't watch it. But the ultra watch has me curious I currently use a Garmin for gps tracking runs, and my wife tried an apple watch that was not very accurate. If I could get Strava to be accurate, and stream Spotify to my headphones, with cellular, and without having to bring my phone..... I'm sold.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ll upgrade to the 14 Pro Max like a good fan boy. Honestly I’m growing tired of apple and their Chinese made goodies, but we’re entrenched in the ecosystem… which is exactly what they want. I much preferred the Samsung Galaxy S22 ultra I briefly had, but it was too much of a headache with the rest of my family using Apple. Sorry for the rant. I just wish they’d get away from china.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7000 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am an Apple devotee, but my reaction to the event was "nothing really new to see here". The iPhones remain on Wi-Fi 6, rather than adopting the newer 6e. The cameras are definitely improved, but the camera "bump" is now a huge wart. And we still have the lightning connector, rather than USB-C. Overall, my opinion is minor improvements, and I will stick with my 13Pro.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are an outdoor active type then the new Satellite SOS feature on the phone is a game changer.

The severe crash detection and notification may be a life saver. Think late night deserted road crash.

The new image stabilization for video appears to be really nice. I can see this being useful for videoing my idpa and uspsa matches where I have a fellow competitor following me around the stage recording.

The always on display kinda nice.

And I think the new Notification Island, will become "indispensable" as folks get used to it and developers take advantage of it.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm relatively new to the Apple line-up and smartphones in general. As such, I have barely scratched the surface on the capabilities of my present Iphone, so most of the hoopla of this event kind of sailed over my head.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wait a couple of years before I update. Deals will be better then. My current XR is serving me well.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The only thing of interest to me is the Apple Watch Ultra, but, at $800 I'll have to take a pass. Not that it may not be worth it, but that it's more than I'm willing to spend on a watch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was suckered in by the new Apple Watch, wondering if that Ultra would look ridiculous on my wrist (pretty sure it would). Imagining myself 30 years younger, backpacking, kayaking, bicycling.

But the new iPhone: I'm going to upgrade from the iPhone 12 Pro, which already has amazing video quality, because I almost always use that rather than my Olympus E-M5 Mk III. Image stabilization is already excellent but looks dramatically better on the 14.

I'm doing this because we're spending a lot of time with the now 3 grandkids at their cutest stages of life.

I will probably gift my oldest son, father of our new grandson (!), a 14 Pro at his upcoming birthday.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for my bi annual update I’ve got a purple pro max waiting for preorder in the morning

I was happy to see satellite emergency connectivity

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
So, those that watched the "event" what say you?
As with every one of these events, it will be far more interesting to see how these devices actually live up to the hype once the crew of independent reviewers get a hold of them. The "Dynamic Island" is an interesting development for iPhone 14 though.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m still rolling with an iPhone 7+ and battery issues say it’s time to get a new phone. Need to figure out which 13 or 14 to get.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I will wait a couple of years before I update. Deals will be better then. My current XR is serving me well.

I'm also using an XR and will decide whether or not to upgrade when I see how well the "find me" for an AirTag works going through 3 different airports. If it doesn't work well enough, I'll upgrade. If it does work well, I won't.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Those bastards. Yeah, they are gonna get my money.

First will be the APP’s. I use them all the time taking all my calls on them. I have 2 sets (got one set for free, paid for the other) so I can rotate out if I burn the batteries up and one set is designated for gym use and sweating. They still work but they are in their last life of use. New ones seem like I may be able to use them when mowing. The current ones I have worked extremely well at the track on pit lane with 24 MotoGP bikes fired up and banging off the rev limiters. It was damn nice to get the live feed, getting to listen to the commentators like the old school dudes would do at baseball games with the one ear audio going. It was like that but with noise cancellation. I use them at work all day to cancel out the cackling in the background so a big chunk of my life is spent with those in my ears listening to music. As an audiophile, SQ isn’t where it needs to be so hopefully the new ones are better. Take my money now.

The watch, man I made the mistake of upgrading to a cellular one 2 years ago. I had a WiFi only one before that and the cellular has been a game changer. Local errands, groceries, etc, I routinely leave the phone at home on the magnet charger. That watch with the APP’s means I’ve got comms up with no phone on my person or in my vehicle. I love that. It’s nice to NOT have to carry that got damn phone around all the time. I’ve always got a pistol, spare magazine, Karambit, and a light if nighttime. The watch + APP has been the trick combo to shed weight. My garage door app works off the watch so it’s Batman heading home to the Batcave every time. Tap tap. Then I use it in and on the water. I’ll go surfing 4000 miles away and my boss will call and I can field it instead of getting to my phone 2 hours later all blown up with missed calls, texts, emails. Then I also use it on my PWC at the lake as I prefer to have that stupidly expensive phone tucked away in waterproof compartment. I’m often by myself on the lake or out on one of my Sportbikes or hiking somewhere away from people. Having an emergency beacon is worth it. Watch I will buy November.

I take care of my Apple shit very well. For the sting of their prices, and boy do they charge that money, it’s nice to take the sting out of it selling/trading in my phone for top dollar. My carrier will offer insane trade ins Q1 of 2023 at which point I’ll upgrade it. The phone impresses me the least out of all the shit they revealed so no hurry or anything. I can wait on that until whenever my wireless carrier really incentivizes it. I’ll preorder the new APP’s and snag that watch for my birthday in November.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flash-LB: I have been using Air Tags with my XR. I have them hidden in my car, my ebike and BMW F850GS. I get an alert when they separate from me at about 25 yards or so. But it varies depending on the type of area I am in. I have not tried them in an airport setting. YMMV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Flash-LB: I have been using Air Tags with my XR. I have them hidden in my car, my ebike and BMW F850GS. I get an alert when they separate from me at about 25 yards or so. But it varies depending on the type of area I am in. I have not tried them in an airport setting. YMMV.

I have. I wouldn't check in luggage without them. There seem to be enough workers at the airport whose phones update the airtag position that I can often see my bag as it makes its way to baggage claim from the plane, even when my own phone is out of BT range.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Steve Jobs' daughter, Eve, posted a jibe at the new iPhone, suggesting it is nothing new.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
My iPhone 6 still works. From what I saw/read, looks like they can track you now where ever you are...good luck with that. I want some privacy back. I'd like to go in the opposite direction. I want a dumb phone...just a phone, nothing smart, no internet, no data, no GPS tracking chip, just a phone.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3632 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post