SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the tattoo craze slowing down?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the tattoo craze slowing down? Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a tattoo that I thought looked good. Either the art is poor, or the colors are too vivid, like the Sunday comics section, or they're not centered, or oversize, or....

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the tattoo craze slowing down?

I don't think so , based on the number of them up in the big city.

used to have 5 or 6 , now there are 25 !

I don't have any , every time I considered it, I found a better way ( for me) to spend $400.00.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

I hate them and would never have one. I don't want to look like a coloring book

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

I must confess to having a tattoo myself. It's a small blue dot on my lower abdomen they used to aim radiation at my prostate 15 years ago. It served a purpose for which, I am grateful.
I have one of those, too. It's my only tattoo.

Since this one is really meaningful, maybe I should have it enhanced:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid-1960s, I was a young sailor. Four of us got drunk and ended up in a tattoo parlor one evening. I was going to get a heart on my upper arm with a banner through it with my fiancée's name. I was fourth in line and sobered up before it was my turn. I backed out. She was my first ex-wife.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I work with tons of 25-35 year olds and I don’t see it slowing down at all. The biggest problem is most people start getting them when they are young and have no taste or money so they end up with tons of shitty tattoos that detract more than enhance.

Out of all the people I work with that have tons of tattoos there is one girl that has a beautifully done tattoo that was clearly done by an excellent artist and probably cost quite a bit of money, and that’s it.

I agree. I see so many, that I can't decipher or read, poor artists, what ever.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
What is BS, is people trying to make hay out of not being altered, or being altered. Life will mark us all, no matter what. Don't polish your own nameplate too much.

I don’t have any tattoos. I figure I have enough scars. Wink I have seen tattoos on folks I respect and on folks I’d just as soon avoid. I’ve seen tattoos that were clearly art (including an image of a salamander) and others that nobody would describe as art. I mostly just try to do me and let everybody else do them. I can’t say that all the choices I’ve made for me are perfect, and I’m darned sure not interested in trying to make choices for anybody else.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

I must confess to having a tattoo myself. It's a small blue dot on my lower abdomen they used to aim radiation at my prostate 15 years ago. It served a purpose for which, I am grateful.
I have one of those, too. It's my only tattoo.

Since this one is really meaningful, maybe I should have it enhanced:

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Marine Corps during my time period of service their were individuals that had tattoos but they were the exception rather than the rule. Tattoos seemed more prevalent with sailors of that time period.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I always thought that someone could make a lot of money if they came up with a permanent but erasable tattoo ink. Break up with your girlfriend, go back to the tattoo shop, and they tattoo over it with the erasing chemical, an in a week or three, it breaks up and goes away.

Yes, I know the tattoo could be covered up with another tattoo. But I'm sure some would like to get back to a blank canvas.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The one thing I find both comical and sad about people with tattoos is those I've seen in my job in law enforcement.

When arrestees get taken before a magistrate to get their bond set, a high percentage of defendants argue, "But that's too high, I can't afford it." When I've arrested people on warrants for criminal nonsupport (failure to pay child support), their excuse is often, "The judge set my child support too high, that's why I can't pay it."

A large percentage of these people have tattoos. Not just one, but several. And a lot of them are professionally done, which gets very expensive.

So---no, your bail is not too high, and the family court judge isn't making you pay too much child support. You're spending the money that should be going to your kids on decorating yourself.

For these people, I have no sympathy.

Posts: 4557 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't think so, no. It appears as if this stuff is now so acceptabe, no one bats an eye at it. Especially distasteful to me is seeing a woman with that stuff all over her skin.

When I was young, tattoos were reserved for servicemen, bikers and convicts, and all of them male. If a woman had a tattoo, it was in an intimate location- a teddy bear on her inner thigh or a butterfly on her ass, and no one saw it except her doctor and her lover and if it were up to me, that's the way it would be still.

It's a very sad downturn in this society that this stuff is now perfectly acceptable. Very sad. Are we savages?

I remember flipping through the newspaper employment classifieds in the late 1980s-early 90s and getting a chuckle out of the strip club ads seeking dancers. Back then they all said, "No tattoos."

I've never looked at pretty girl and thought, 'She would look even better if she had a tattoo or more ink than she already does.'

It's your body and your choice what you want to do w/ it, but tattoos hold no appeal for me.

Posts: 3262 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
The one thing I find both comical and sad about people with tattoos is those I've seen in my job in law enforcement.

When arrestees get taken before a magistrate to get their bond set, a high percentage of defendants argue, "But that's too high, I can't afford it." When I've arrested people on warrants for criminal nonsupport (failure to pay child support), their excuse is often, "The judge set my child support too high, that's why I can't pay it."

A large percentage of these people have tattoos. Not just one, but several. And a lot of them are professionally done, which gets very expensive.

So---no, your bail is not too high, and the family court judge isn't making you pay too much child support. You're spending the money that should be going to your kids on decorating yourself.

For these people, I have no sympathy.

I’ve never had bail set, or paid child support, but you are correct. Tattoos are damn expensive. Mine have been a collection throughout the years. The last ten years I was spending $160, then it increased to $180 an hour. The artist is a great artist, and he is very good with a tattoo machine.
But yes, it has cost me a lot of money. Enough to buy a FN Scar, and a half a dozen SIGs.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4321 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
There will be plenty of “I just got another one” stories, but that isn’t the question.

And I should have added to my original comments, “There will be plenty of ‘I don’t like them’ posts as well,” but I’m still curious about the original question.

Are fewer people getting them these days? Do the people who still get tattoos see prices dropping, wait times are less, tattoo businesses are closing, or other indicators that demand is slowing?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That said, there's a lot of ugly ink out there, and I don't think I understand at all why someone would tattoo their face. Confused

I did noty need to see that this morning!!! Mad Shame on you... Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
Back in the mid-1960s, I was a young sailor. Four of us got drunk and ended up in a tattoo parlor one evening. I was going to get a heart on my upper arm with a banner through it with my fiancée's name. I was fourth in line and sobered up before it was my turn. I backed out. She was my first ex-wife.

I have an old neighbor who has been married 4 times. He has had 3 tattoos removed and just got the 4th wife's name inked on his arm.

I guess some people are slow learners. Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:

Maybe it would have worked out if you had been more committed? Wink

Totally kidding of course, only names someone should even consider getting permanently on them would be children or a memorial piece.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, good looking women with full sleeves look cheap and immature. Personally I have so many scars that I want nothing else if at all possible from now on.
I admit, though, when people see the 16" vertical scar on the right side of my torso, they grimace and understand some of what I have been through.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I think it's slowing down to a degree. I say that based on not seeing as many tattoo shops in my area as 3-4 years ago.

You can't juudge the decline if any, on people with tattoos, because they may have had them for many years.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
There is a guy I’ve seen at the gym a couple of times. Other than his hands and neck up, he is 100% covered. I do mean everywhere. I can’t even begin to imagine how much money he has spent.

I feel sorry for him. In my feeble mind, I think he has an addiction of some sort.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post