SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the tattoo craze slowing down?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the tattoo craze slowing down? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Though I won't be around to see it, there is going to be an entire generation of exceptionally ugly 60/70 year olds when their now current tattoos have sagged and faded into one continuous blob.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That said, there's a lot of ugly ink out there, and I don't think I understand at all why someone would tattoo their face. Confused

that mutilation is repulsive and indicative of severe mental problems

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
A guy missed out on a 100k a year job because he wanted arm sleeve tattoos. Policy was no visible tattoos. He is working a shit job in shit area for a third of the pay.

So a guy qualifies for a 100k a year job but only because of his tattoos he can’t find anything better than a 33k a year job?

I’m guessing there’s a little more to the story.

I don’t have any visible tattoos but I work around plenty of people with visible tattoos that make six figures. I work in a unique industry and I’m aware that tattoos can be limiting but they also don't always mean you're stuck in a shit job in a shit town.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Out of all the people I work with that have tons of tattoos there is one girl that has a beautifully done tattoo that was clearly done by an excellent artist and probably cost quite a bit of money, and that’s it.

Any idea how much money we're talking for a really good tattoo by a decent artist???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Our eldest began tattooing his body at 18. These decades later he wishes he hadn't done it so young. They are juvenile and embarrass him now. He cannot afford the removal process so he hides the graffiti with clothing.

I had an employee once who was covered with them in places he could not hide. His potential for advancement and greater pay was limited by them I could not expose him to the clientele. He had to stay in support roles. Shame too. He had a dynamic personality. Could have done well absent the graffiti.

I am not body modified and neither is Mrs DF. I am not bothered by others' tattoos for the most part. Somewhere along the line the degree and placement of tattoos goes from discreet and personal to full on graffiti. I am not a fan of the latter. I don't know the point at which tats become graffiti, but I know it when I see it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I don't think the tattoo "craze" is slowing. I think that tattoos are certainly more acceptable. I do think that the trend in "extreme" body modification has peeked and is declining.

This would be publicly visible piercings and tattoos.

People will always judge due to physical appearance, and as well they should. Should someone be judged just because of a tattoo? Perhaps, but more precisely they should be judged by its location and quality.

I got my first tattoo when I married my wife. Because I won't wear rings. Such is dangerous in my line of work, google "degloving." I have a few more. I don't do it casually.

Frankly, everyone judges you for a tattoo, including others with tattoos. If you have tattoos on certain areas, I will absolutely assume certain things.

What is BS, is people trying to make hay out of not being altered, or being altered. Life will mark us all, no matter what. Don't polish your own nameplate too much.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I hate them and would never have one. I don't want to look like a coloring book

Posts: 13047 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
The only time I was tempted to get one was on a visit to Tahiti where the process originated.
Some of the tattoos there were truly a work of art. Fortunately (or unfortunately) my wife interjected and I never got one...

Exactly the same. We went to French Polynesia, and I thought, this.. this is truly beautiful. Maybe a manta, or some truly artistic piece I saw on many of the local men. But now that I think of it, I can’t remember seeing many on the local gals. Either way, it would’ve interfered with the diving we were there to do, so I didn’t have the time.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of the young girls that get a rosebud tattoo on their breast realize it will be a long stem when in their fifties? Big Grin

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I always find it interesting that people who never seem to have 2 cents always manage to gather enough money to get another tat. Also I often laugh that some BIG girls get them. Some of those ladies are so big that I think they should get a tat of a licence plate tattoo'd just above their butts.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That said, there's a lot of ugly ink out there, and I don't think I understand at all why someone would tattoo their face. Confused

that mutilation is repulsive and indicative of severe mental problems

Why do you say that as if it is a matter of fact?

When we, as a society began to embrace tattoos, wasn't it inevitable that we would slide down the slope towards other methods of self mutilation? Because, tattoos are self mutilation, why not engage in the world's other methods of self mutilation as well?

With whatever argument a pro tattoo spokesman would insist that tattoos are not a sign of weakness (peer pressure) or self loathing, etc., is how this fella would rationalize what he has done to himself. In other words, he has just taken the justifications folks use to rationalize their decisions to mutilate themselves with tattoos to their logical end.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to insult folks who have tattoos! I'm just saying that if a person is going to insist there's nothing mentally ill about getting a tattoo, then he has no right to criticize someone who does what the upstanding fellow in the picture above has done to himself. It's just a matter of degree.

My wife would probably look at the picture and think he is pathetic. But, she has piercings! Why is it okay for her to have pierced ears, but it's not okay for this fella to have pierced everything?

I'm just curious.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reaction, when I see a young person with tattoos all over their neck or covering an arm, is a profound feeling of sorrow, not unlike seeing someone missing a limb. I think how this one rash decision on their part is going to negatively affect their future, be it searching for a job or spouse. What seems to be increasing in popularity is the nose ring piercing. I just can't fathom the person, who looks in the mirror one morning and thinks to themself, "You know, I'd be a lot more attractive with a ring in my nose or maybe one of those black plugs in my earlobe, that looks like a giant blackhead." I guess this is the same brain that elects the Pelosis and the Schumers of the world. Having said all this, I must confess to having a tattoo myself. It's a small blue dot on my lower abdomen they used to aim radiation at my prostate 15 years ago. It served a purpose for which, I am grateful.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any idea how much money we're talking for a really good tattoo by a decent artist???

Black and grey about the size of your hand will run around $1,000.00 from an artist in demand. That would be upwards of 8 hours in the chair. It usually requires that you wait months to get it. Some artists work faster but that won't usually effect price.

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I've never seen a tattoo on a woman that made her prettier.

I have. She had a full double mastectomy after cancer and full replacement over time and had nipples tattooed on. Made her feel great, and they looked good.

For myself: I have one tattoo, between my shoulder blades. It's my family's heraldic motto from when my Norman ancestors were beknighted by William the Conqueror in 1066. I figured the location shouldn't sag too horribly over time, and I wouldn't (and have never yet in over a decade) regret the content of it. My only regrets are that I wish I had gone bigger with the lettering, but I can find an artist while I'm in the Puget Sound to work with on expanding and refreshing it a bit.

But it's a one-and done. I mostly forget it's there because it isn't visible to me for 99% of my waking hours. It's not prison, biker, gangster, military, flash, drunk, or ghetto art. It's MINE. I picked the font. I picked the letter size and a number of other details. It doesn't look great anymore after many years in the sun, and I don't give a damn. I'll get it freshened up every decade or so and maybe sometime, have it expanded on a bit like I said.

The words on my back mean something to me. If you want to judge me about it, I don't really care. I wasn't even going to talk about it, but this thread is starting to read like a snobby pile-on.

Email me if you’re looking for an artist. The only person I will allow to tattoo me anymore, lives and works in Olympia.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I hope it is slowing down. When I go to the gym I’m amazed at how many young, beautiful women have tattoos, and not just one, or small ones either. They have large, sleeve tattoos, or multiples on their back, shoulder, legs, thighs, etc. I just don’t find them attractive on women at all and they seem to be getting them in more numbers than men. For me it is a turn off. Around here at least, I would be willing to bet that for women ages 18 through 35, about half of them have at least one tattoo, and that is probably a conservative estimate.

Same thing here. I go to the gym every day and have gotten kind of apathetic to the way women dress to do their "workout". Gym outfits like applied with spray paint regardless of age or other physical attributes. And full sleeve, full thigh, etc tattoos.

Nothing like seeing an overweight woman in "spray-on" gym clothing doing her "routine" on a treadmill, at 1.5 MPH and zero elevation, while her face is glued to her "smartphone".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife would probably look at the picture and think he is pathetic. But, she has piercings! Why is it okay for her to have pierced ears, but it's not okay for this fella to have pierced everything?

It's a matter of degrees. I think most people can draw a distinction between someone with pierced ears and the gentleman in the picture.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some tattoos look pretty cool and I understand why someone might want some but I don't understand putting them on typically exposed areas of the body. I constantly see women with tats on their chest and neck.
But maybe it's not so bad after all. It does makes for a great warning label.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Both of my grandsons have tattoos.

The older one, Green Beret, has 2. One is full arm, the other is full right thigh.

The one on his thigh is in honor of his best friend who died in combat in the sand box. I can understand that, with respect.

Don't know why he got the other one. As I recall it is a full sleeve tat.

Younger grandson has several LARGE tattoos. Not sure why he got them. One on his right leg covers most of that leg, and he has had nothing but trouble with it. Black ink designs, and the ink kept running (gravity I guess).

I never had any thoughts or temptations regarding tats. Never saw the point.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
A guy missed out on a 100k a year job because he wanted arm sleeve tattoos. Policy was no visible tattoos. He is working a shit job in shit area for a third of the pay.

So a guy qualifies for a 100k a year job but only because of his tattoos he can’t find anything better than a 33k a year job?

I’m guessing there’s a little more to the story.

Im not saying he cant get a better job for more money. Im saying he missed out on a 100k job with a specific company because he had arm tattoos. He drastically limited his options by getting arm tattoos. Some employers dont care, others do.

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It's not for me, but your body, your decision... However, I can not avoid judging people negatively for it, especially in extreme cases.

Piercings?
Every time I see someone with a nose ring it brings back memories of catching hogs in the mud and shit in an old barn to ring their noses... and I'll never forget the feel of the ring crunching through cartilage as you squeeze it in...

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post