SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officials say a loaded gun was found in North Carolina Rep. Madison Cawthorn’s carry-on bag at an airport security checkpoint
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officials say a loaded gun was found in North Carolina Rep. Madison Cawthorn’s carry-on bag at an airport security checkpoint Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
To happen at all is careless.....but twice??!!

https://www.wfmz.com/news/tsa-...-US-World-News-Block

A loaded gun was found in North Carolina U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn's carry-on bag at an airport security checkpoint Tuesday — the second time he has been stopped with a gun at an airport in the past 14 months, officials said.

When Cawthorn went through checkpoint D at Charlotte Douglas International Airport with the gun, a 9 mm Staccato C2, around 9 a.m., Transportation Security Administration officers notified Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officers on standby in the area, TSA spokesperson R. Carter Langston said.

Responding officers identified the 26-year-old Republican as the owner of the bag where the gun was found, police said in a statement. Cawthorn acknowledged that the gun was his and cooperated with officers, authorities said. He was issued a citation for possession of a dangerous weapon on city property, a misdemeanor. Cawthorn was released but police held on to the firearm, as is routine.

The infraction is punishable by civil penalties, including a fine of up to $13,900 depending on certain factors, such as whether a firearm is loaded and multiple offenses, Langston said. In this case the firearm was loaded.

Langston said this was the second time in recent history that a gun was found in Cawthorn’s carry-on bag. The first was at an Asheville Regional Airport checkpoint in February 2021.

TSA officers have intercepted more than 1,800 firearms at checkpoints so far this year, Langston said.

A spokesperson for Cawthorn’s office and his campaign didn't immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

After winning a GOP congressional primary runoff in 2020 over then-President Donald Trump’s pick, Cawthorn won the general election at age 25 and has became one of Trump’s strongest supporters. Trump recently featured Cawthorn as a rally speaker and endorsed him for reelection.

Fellow Republicans in North Carolina have spoken out against his reelection, however, including U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, who has endorsed a state legislator for the seat. Cawthorn has drawn criticism for recent incendiary comments, including one in which he called Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy a “thug.”

The airport checkpoint incidents haven’t been Cawthorn's only brushes with law enforcement. Last month, for the third time in five months, he was cited by state troopers for a traffic violation, including driving with a revoked license. He is scheduled to appear in court on May 6.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m originally from NC and as such, I still follow the goings on there to a degree. My impression of Cawthorn is that he’s big on mouth and small on thinking things through.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is a loose cannon. That is being polite.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The kid had a lot of promise, but he's imploding.

A 26 year old kid taking on a 240 year old good old boys club is going to lose every time...badly.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’m originally from NC and as such, I still follow the goings on there to a degree. My impression of Cawthorn is that he’s big on mouth and small on thinking things through.
So as we'd say in Texas (to reference another thread), he's "all hat and no cattle". Pretty close??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kid is a moron, recently accusing members of congress of orgy this and doing drug that without anything to back up his claim. Stupid ass. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if it's true, but when you're a public figure making wild claim, you had better backed it up with evidence.

Q

Posts: 26338 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Kid is a moron, recently accusing members of congress of orgy this and doing drug that without anything to back up his claim. Stupid ass. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if it's true, but when you're a public figure making wild claim, you had better backed it up with evidence.

I agree w/ you however; it’s too bad the other side of the aisle has no qualms about throwing crap out w/o proof.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ I have no qualms about calling them out, on both sides.

Q

Posts: 26338 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He's an appalling embarrassment on his best day.

Zero business being anywhere near Congress or lawmaking and governing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it is my belief that these idiots on the far right (Cawthorn, Marjorie Taylor Greene) were elected because of the idiots on the far left like AOC and Omar. Sadly I think there is a much larger middle that is unrepresented with both parties pandering to the fringes.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Unfortunately it is my belief that these idiots on the far right (Cawthorn, Marjorie Taylor Greene) were elected because of the idiots on the far left like AOC and Omar. Sadly I think there is a much larger middle that is unrepresented with both parties pandering to the fringes.
Curious why you categorize Greene as a "far right idiot"?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know why you bring Marjorie Taylor Greene into this thread, but I disagree with your assertion that she is a far right idiot.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

You couldn’t be more off base here…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

TSA officers have intercepted more than 1,800 firearms at checkpoints so far this year, Langston said.

You can fly with guns, apparently 1,800 of our friends and neighbors aren't reading the rules and regulations. Unload, lock into a separate case, declare, no problems.

Plenty of politicians on both sides of the aisle have been discovered violating those simple rules, and they have outed many an anti gunner who wrote a lot of purple prose on deadly guns filling the gutters with blood.

I see this as the typical media dogpile on an R who is openly challenging assumed concepts our enemies are trying to prop up. Are we really so naive as to think that coke and sex in Hollywood are normal, but in DC they would be shunned by our "purer than the driven snow" politicians? They can't even abide by mask mandates. They get caught flying with firearms, too. They have even been investigated and found driving a completely false accusation that a President was colluding with Russia, one still cheerfully touted as fact by the ignorati, and the first lawyer has his trial scheduled May 12 over it.

Corruption is very much part of DC and has been for hundreds of years. So are loaded guns and sex. Lets not be so naive.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Second time in 14 months?

Definitely not a fast learner.

Living in Arizona and having a CCW and carrying daily, this is something I have to be careful with when I travel every year.

So just before I leave the house, I frisk myself and check my bags, then when I arrive at Airport parking I do it again and then a third time just before I walk into the Airport.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

You can fly with guns, apparently 1,800 of our friends and neighbors aren't reading the rules and regulations. Unload, lock into a separate case, declare, no problems.

Plenty of politicians on both sides of the aisle have been discovered violating those simple rules, and they have outed many an anti gunner who wrote a lot of purple prose on deadly guns filling the gutters with blood.

I see this as the typical media dogpile on an R who is openly challenging assumed concepts our enemies are trying to prop up. Are we really so naive as to think that coke and sex in Hollywood are normal, but in DC they would be shunned by our "purer than the driven snow" politicians? They can't even abide by mask mandates. They get caught flying with firearms, too. They have even been investigated and found driving a completely false accusation that a President was colluding with Russia, one still cheerfully touted as fact by the ignorati, and the first lawyer has his trial scheduled May 12 over it.

Corruption is very much part of DC and has been for hundreds of years. So are loaded guns and sex. Lets not be so naive.

Yes, we can fly with firearms. While it can be annoying, it is actually not that difficult. You just have to have patience to deal with the various local LEO working the airport security. At least that was the way it was the last time I flew with a pistol. It was locked inside a suitcase and checked baggage. No problem at all, just the PIA dealing with the locals who had a sad lack of the actual rules.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
Curious why you categorize Greene as a "far right idiot"?

She's nuttier than squirrel turds.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's nuttier than squirrel turds.

That's an ad hominem attack...
What is your argument/evidence?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officials say a loaded gun was found in North Carolina Rep. Madison Cawthorn’s carry-on bag at an airport security checkpoint

So ... is that all you got?

Was it at least a decent gun, caliber, make/model?

I don't know who this person is and while not real smart act at the airline but seems like a lot of just eating your own especially the ridiculous comments on TMG.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

You couldn’t be more off base here…

Exactly. He's just peddling the tired leftist media bullshit and lies.

Take a small moment and actually listen to what she has to say apart from media's framing. She's exactly the type of representative conservatives need in congress.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post