SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Use of CB radios now days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of CB radios now days Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This thread brought back memories. When the FCC first opened up CB on 11 meters in the late 50s - early 60s I bought and built a pair of Heathkit handhelds. Mailed in my license request and still recall it as KID1629. I was a teen back then. Had fun with the handhelds and later had an underdash mounted unit in one of my early cars for road trips. But the crap that developed on those channels dampened things. Never looked back....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have one in my Jeep, used for communication when on trail runs. I've never turned it on when on the highway.

CBs were big in the '70s, I had one in several custom vans, used those a lot.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I use GMRS a lot and in the process of getting Ham Radio Tech License. I have a Baifeng portable but once I get my Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner (haven't decided yet, it depends on camping trailer I want to get), I will go up to a GMRS base station with extended range antenna on a ditch light mount.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Convoy” – C. W. McCall. 3:40 video.
“Big Ben, this here’s Rubber Duck…” Smile
I love this song!

https://youtu.be/j3VN54M1OXA

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I used to have them and talked a lot. Met my girlfriend on the CB while she was running her paper route at night. We still together about 28 years later

I'm a ham now and haven't had a CB in years

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Loggers use them every day around here. It’s handy to have one if I’m on logging roads they are hauling on to know where the trucks are. What has replaced them?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a uniden bearcat out in the garage, I had it in my old truck for awhile, I enjoyed listening in. One of these days I’ll get a small amp and set up a base station.

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I remember the CB trucker phase well, as well as the trucker songs on the AM radio.

Teddy Bear will always bring a tear to my eye. There is a lyric in that song, though, that brings to mind a memory. "I turned that truck around on a dime, and headed straight for Jackson Street...229". Who'd ever think you could stop something that big that fast. Well, I learned a lesson in physics one particular day.

I was probably 8 or 10 years old at the time and my brother and I were out throwing snowballs at cars...'cause that's what you did when you were a kid around these parts. Big Grin.

We'd always go after semis because we knew that they'd never be able to stop and come after us. Well...I packed up this beautiful slushball about the size of a softball and slung it right at the windshield of an 18-wheeler and it just exploded perfectly right in front of the driver's face.

It was the most beautiful snowball I've ever thrown in my life. It held together perfectly, flew through the air like a swan, and landed exactly where I aimed, and then...that damn truck stopped so fast I couldn't believe it and the driver came after me like a mad man, leaving his truck idling in the middle US Hwy 2 at 5th Avenue West. Knowing the neighborhood as well as I did was the only thing that saved me from that guy and I've never ran so fast in my life before or since. I really picked the wrong fella to bean with a snowball that day. Big Grin

Scared runs faster than mad every day.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I still have one kicking around in the basement somewhere. We used them quite a bit back in the 70's/80's on snow plowing and construction jobs.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yep had one 30 years ago. Now have a HAM and gmrs radio for comms.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I have a portable unit designed for emergency use but on trips it is fun to pass the time away listening to all the local chatter - I remember one Trucker came on and said "that Van has a Harley in the back of it" Ha I sure did.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Bought my last OTR semi truck in 2013. I never bothered to even install a CB. When you went somewhere that requested you "turn CB to channel XX", you just told them you didn't have one, and gave them your cell number. They call you now instead of raise you on the radio.

At my current job, I only drive when we are doing oversize. CB radios are required to maintain communication with your pilot cars. Other than that, I never have mine turned on. I got tired of listening to the "I'm not wearing any panties" broadcast from the morons, and CB chatter interferes with audio books and phone conversations.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Have one in my company (asphalt paving) SUV.
They are still in very heavy use in the construction industry. Every asphalt plant, every stone yard, a lot of road construction sites.
Look for the channel number signs at entry sites.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had one in my truck when I used to hunt,

we used it to track dogs etc,

once hunting season ended, I pulled it out (simple under the dash mount,

I sold them off (Dad had a few, I had one) years ago,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
So if cell phones have replaced CBs for truckers how are they avoiding "Smokey"
Waze?

Ever watch YouTuber Richard at "Precision Transmission"
He starts every video with "This is Richard back at you"? I wonder if he isn't an old CBer with that "back at you" phrase.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Loggers use them every day around here. It’s handy to have one if I’m on logging roads they are hauling on to know where the trucks are.

Yup, you will often see "CB 3" spray painted on trees around here. That means you better listen on channel 3 or you might get into a head-on with a truck. Smile

"CB 3" as opposed to "X3" or "XV3" that you see sprayed on buildings downtown, that's something totally different Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with GMRS here recently.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
CB is still a vital and important, but underused and underappreciated thing, today.

I have friends who are OTR truckers, have been for many years, and are wise to keep and use them still. They do keep them turned off most of the time.

Here's why: Every winter we see multiple occasions of really bad weather somewhere up North of 18-wheelers and cars in multi-unit pileups. You'll see vehicle after vehicle continue to pile up wrecked, and people seriously injured and killed, due to snow/ice/fog situations. Dozens and dozens of vehicles not being able to see and slow down or stop, and it's bad.

A wise trucker, or a civilian, if you will, will turn on their CB in such situations and listen and be prepared to key up the mic and tell everyone listening to slow down and be prepared to stop, or stop, right away to avoid those pileups.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ha! This thread just reminded me of something…

Back in the 50s the JC Whitney catalog offered many automotive parts, some of them quirky. Among the quirky ones: a bumper-mounted fake CB antenna to “give your car that CB look!”

Also, Burmese Gas Snakes which you put into your tank to “reduce fuel consumption by up to 5 MPG!”

And steering wheel spinners with pictures of scantily clad young women.

Those were the days!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Curb Feelers ^^^^^

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post