SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought An Antique Something At An Estate Sale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought An Antique Something At An Estate Sale Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I have no idea what it is, the sale people had no idea, so I gave them a dollar for it because it goes nice in my 19'th century house.

I know it's Italian, but it doesn't have Fruhgeelay on it anywhere.

Looked up the address and it shows a small art district in Siena, Italy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34387 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Looks like bookends, to me. Turn it so the flat part is down and stand up books between the hinged pieces. Does the right-side one slide to adjust for the number of books?

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yes, it adjusts outwards.

Everyone's guess it is an adjustable bookends.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34387 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
A little modification and it might make a nice paper towel holder. Razz

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Bookends would be my guess. That's one hell of a deal for $1.00!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It's the nicest whatever-that-is I've ever seen. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just looked up antique bookends up on ebay.

Yep, that is what it seems to be.

In Tabitha's library it goes.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty neat. Check to see it's not worth $10k before you use it, you don't always know about those things.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a similar project for my 8th grade woodshop class back in the 50's or so so!
Mine had a finish that was a little less!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was gonna go with paper towel holder. Big Grin

Posts: 18347 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Check to see it's not worth $10k before you use it, you don't always know about those things.

100% true story from about 4 or 5 years ago.
Co worker got an old print in an old frame in a box of junk at an estate sale. He took photos and started to research it as he found time, he told his wife just to set it aside until he found out if it was just junk or not.

A couple weeks later he found out it was a rare numbered print worth ~20K! (at least the last one that sold brought that)
Yea... jackpot. NOT.
His wife had already sold, and shipped it, on ebay... for ~$10 bucks.

To say he was pissed doesn't even come close...

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A rare 16th century paper towel holder.

Posts: 21339 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DaVinci's slide rule.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2387 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Collapsing ear protection for a person with a flat head

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen very plain versions of these in old amish farm homes.

They had theirs hung in the entry way or mud room .

they fold flat against the wall until guests come and then the guest will unfold a wing to hang a hat or light jacket on.

also you might check the Shaker or Quaker sites,

they had dining halls with very long tables,
when the hall was not in use , it was very common to hang the individual chairs on the wall.

some used a dual set of pegs as hooks and others used these
( think 1700's )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55169 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Cool! You got a thing!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in the first few months of commercial air travel , none of the passenger seats were uniform.

When purchasing tickets to fly , the ticket person would ask the perspective passenger to back in to the board , and then the would fold the wings in to see if the passengers ass would actually get in between the arm rests.

of course , back then people were a lot smaller , 99% of the people passed the test

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55169 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A 13th century model Redwing foot measuring gauge?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a display stand for a couple of .50 cal ammo cans.

Posts: 4248 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post