SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbor complains about 13 yr olds hotdog stand. Inspectors help him up to code and pay $87 fee out of own pockets.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor complains about 13 yr olds hotdog stand. Inspectors help him up to code and pay $87 fee out of own pockets. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Finally a good ending to one of these stories! Common sense prevails for a change.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/0...etting-reported.html

A Minnesota teen’s hot dog venture got reported to authorities. Then it just ‘took off’

This summer, 13-year-old Jaequan Faulkner started a little business selling $2 hot dogs with $1 sodas and chips from a stand in front of his house in Minnesota.

But his self-made job was in jeopardy after someone sent an e-mail complaint to the Minneapolis Health Department. As it turned out, Faulkner was in fact operating as an unlicensed vendor with his lunchtime endeavor.

“They had told me somebody had complained,” the young entrepreneur explained to CNBC’s “On The Money ” in an interview.

Faulkner unwittingly became the latest case in a stream of young kids trying to make money on the side — but running afoul of suspicious or angry adults. In an incident that went viral, one woman who became infamous as “Permit Patty” called authorities on a young girl selling water.

Dan Huff, environmental health director of the Minneapolis Health Department, told CNBC that “Before responding to the complaint, what we did was put on hold our response until we could figure out how to help him.”

Faulkner said that “instead of shutting me down, city members got together to talk and said, ‘OK, how can we help this kid, to get him situated?’”

Impressed by the young man’s drive, health inspectors had decided to teach the young entrepreneur about proper food handling to assist him in getting his hot dog stand up to code.

The teen’s stand passed inspection, and it was the inspectors themselves who paid the $87 fee for his “short term food permit,” which he was granted on July 16.

“It just took off. He never gave up and he kept pushing forward. And pushing me along, pulling me along with him, ” said Jaequan’s uncle, Jerome Faulkner.

The hot dog stand serves a lunch crowd weekdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Jerome is hands-on too. “It’s not easy working for a 13-year-old,” his uncle joked to CNBC. He just says ”‘I need this, I need that,’ and I just get it for him while he controls the cash register. He knows the cash register pretty well.”

Jerome estimated that together, they’ve been selling “between 100, 150 hot dogs a day.” His nephew plans to use his money for school clothes, but in the fall, he’s hoping to remain in the food business — just after class.

“What’s next for me is, I’m trying to get a little spot, a restaurant or something,” Faulkner told CNBC. “Right when I get out of school I can go there and start working. Somewhere permanent, but it’s just small and not big.”

When asked what lessons he’ll take away from his success this summer, he mentioned a piece of family wisdom.

“My auntie always told me, ‘Can’t nobody stop you but you.’ If you say ‘I can’t do that,’ well, then you just set yourself up for failure.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Now yuh see??? THIS is the kind of stuff from which America Dreams are made!!!! Damn...I'd almost be willing to hop a non-rev to MSP, Uber to wherever they are, and just buy a few dogs from the kid and shake his hand. Words of wisdom spring forth from my mom when reading this..."the easiest thing in the world to be is a BUM!!"

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
On a similar note, on September 1st a new Texas law kicks in preventing cities from enacting permit requirements for children's lemonade stands (actually it was broader and legalized the occasional sale of lemonade and other nonalcoholic drink stands run by minors on private property). A lot of political heavyweights got behind it (e.g. Governor of Texas) and shamed the hell out of the d-bag bureaucrats that went after children's lemonade stands.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Awesome story t read right before work! Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“My auntie always told me, ‘Can’t nobody stop you but you.’ If you say ‘I can’t do that,’ well, then you just set yourself up for failure.”

Sums it up.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Great to see a kid with drive and ambition but I'm not sure I'd want 100 extra cars in my neighborhood every day at lunch. I also wonder how they are able to control temps to keep food safe, keep their hands clean after handling cash, etc.

I see this as much different than kids periodically setting up a lemonade stand.

I grew up in Colorado and at that time, could work at 13. I got a job at a fast food joint near the house (which interestingly was a franchise place that sold hot dogs).

My brother, who was not old enough for a 'real job' purchased a (basic low cost) mower and knocked on peoples door. Soon he had a number of weekly customers. He worked the hours he wanted, worked fewer hours than I worked, and made more money that summer. He did a good job and got all the work that he wanted.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I also wonder how they are able to control temps to keep food safe, keep their hands clean after handling cash, etc.
Just spiff-balling off the top of my head...I would have to bet they've run an extension cord to warmers and such for food safety or they're using those trays with the little burner underneath, as the city officials taught him. Might have a generator? For hand washing, there are all kinds of liquid anti-bacterial soaps they could be using.

From the article...
quote:
...health inspectors had decided to teach the young entrepreneur about proper food handling to assist him in getting his hot dog stand up to code.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Pessimist Sees the Difficulty in Every Opportunity;
an Optimist Sees the Opportunity in Every Difficulty
-W. Churchill

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54673 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
On a similar note, on September 1st a new Texas law kicks in preventing cities from enacting permit requirements for children's lemonade stands (actually it was broader and legalized the occasional sale of lemonade and other nonalcoholic drink stands run by minors on private property). A lot of political heavyweights got behind it (e.g. Governor of Texas) and shamed the hell out of the d-bag bureaucrats that went after children's lemonade stands.
We do do a few things right here in Texas. And congratulations to the young man and his hot dog stand. (And to the inspectors who assisted him!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Probably cleaner than most of the dirty water dog carts on the streets of NYC.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Good story. The funny part in these types of stories - kids lemonade stand for example - is that the cost of the ingredients is usually not borne by the kid. The parents usually buy the stuff, so the cost of goods is zero for the kid. Nice business model, right?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Good for the kid. Work is always a great option compared to what kids can get involved in. But lets not gloss over the most important part of the article. Who the hell called this kid in, and why has that person not had their ass handed to them? In Florida, if you report someone for a violation like this, your name is available as part of the public complaint record. Someone needs to find that info and make this person's life absolutely miserable.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you pronounce the young entrepreneur's name.

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how you pronounce the young entrepreneur's name.

Jay-Kwan

Good for this young man, and good for his community. I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I wasn't supported as a kid with these types of ambitions by those around me.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Good for the kid. Work is always a great option compared to what kids can get involved in. But lets not gloss over the most important part of the article. Who the hell called this kid in, and why has that person not had their ass handed to them? In Florida, if you report someone for a violation like this, your name is available as part of the public complaint record. Someone needs to find that info and make this person's life absolutely miserable.

I have zero problems with health code being followed. Someone called it in, officials helped the boy get in compliance (and paid his fines), now no one will get sick from unsafe food handling practices.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
Awesome story!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this post. We need to see more of this from our Kid's and especially from the powers that be. Thanks inspectors you made more than this one kids day.

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good kid, and good for the people that helped him.

Now everyone is better off.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I have zero problems with health code being followed. Someone called it in, officials helped the boy get in compliance (and paid his fines), now no one will get sick from unsafe food handling practices.
Whatever. $100 says the POS who called this in didn't give two shits about health code or anything approaching a civic concern. Just another POS sticking their damn nose in where it doesn't belong and isn't wanted. Easy check...has anyone who actually was a customer complained of anything? Yeah, I think we all know the answer to that. I love the fact that local officials helped the kid get into compliance with code, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was posing any real risk to anyone. I'm about at the end of my tolerance with this sort of BS by people who simply want to try and make others lives as miserable as theirs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You said exactly what I was thinking, bigdeal. I don't believe for one second the person calling this in had any intent to be helpful. Just a miserable sunuvabitch wanting to shut a kid down...