SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Gurus: WIN10 upgrade from WIN7?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Gurus: WIN10 upgrade from WIN7? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I just inherited an Acer Aspire 5750-6621 Laptop, currently running WIN7

Intel Core i3 processor running at 2.3Ghz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB hard drive with beaucoup free space.

I intend to format it, upgrade to WIN10 and use it in my shop to surf the 'net, look at PDF manuals and maybe store/process some basic photos.

Questions:

1. Will the computer run WIN10 decently? A little slow is okay, crashing/freezing is not.

2. Best source for a WIN10 CD with key?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

2. Best source for a WIN10 CD with key?

Kinguin - final answer

Just cut and paste it into google, it's the 1st result.

I just bought two keys about 4 months ago. The website purchase process can seem skeevy as hell. I believe they are legit but your spidey sense may be tripped. Your also probably gonna want to make this purchase while your bank has regular CS hours because it is likely to get blocked. I put through my transaction and then called fraud protection immediately so I could approve it.

Link

Posts: 7273 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a download for Win10 from Microsoft that works with the Win7 product key. I'll look for the link and can send you a Win7 Pro Product key- email in my profile.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13411 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
All I'm seeing there is games.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can download the Win10 ISO and use a Win7 license to upgrade to win10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...1va22xbeztcvqmkcg200

I've done it several times and it works great. I can send you a Win7 License Key- eMail address is in my profile if interested.

Posts: 13411 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Posts: 22965 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
You can download the Win10 ISO and use a Win7 license to upgrade to win10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...1va22xbeztcvqmkcg200

I've done it several times and it works great. I can send you a Win7 License Key- eMail address is in my profile if interested.

I have the original WIN7 Key sticker on the back of the laptop.

posted Hide Post
I have an unopened Microsoft box containing a USB drive from which Windows 10 home edition can be installed multiple times. 32 and 64 bit. I would sell it cheap. I apologize if my post violates forum policy.

John

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Win7 product code should Activate Win10 for you. I did it again 6 months ago.

I have more / Win7 Pro if needed.

When MS wants you to setup an account select limited use or something. There's no need to setup the MS Account.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Re: the Windows Account, in order bypass that 'inferred requirement', just perform the installation w/o an internet connection. You can skip the Microsoft Account step that way (skip, set up later, or something to that effect), and it will never ask you to do it again. Once Win10 in installed, disable/turn off all of the intrusive Windows Privacy settings, and THEN connect to the internet to perform the Windows Update(s).

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8982 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That download from Might-go-soft crashed without explanation.

I'll wait and find a physical copy.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDFW:
I have an unopened Microsoft box containing a USB drive from which Windows 10 home edition can be installed multiple times. 32 and 64 bit. I would sell it cheap. I apologize if my post violates forum policy.

John

You have mail.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
That download from Might-go-soft crashed without explanation.

I'll wait and find a physical copy.

I'm assuming you're intending to do a 'Clean Install' using the Windows Media Creation Tool, correct?

If not you should be...Using this link --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...e-download/windows10

I'd give it another go. Any physical copy you get your hands on will likely be out of date anyway so you're really better off creating the most current Install Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8982 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

I'm assuming you're intending to do a 'Clean Install' using the Windows Media Creation Tool, correct?

If not you should be...Using this link --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...e-download/windows10

I'd give it another go. Any physical copy you get your hands on will likely be out of date anyway so you're really better off creating the most current Install Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Wink

Takes me to the same download with the same error message.

posted Hide Post
Can you boot from a USB flashdrive?
I have a Windows 10 install flashdrive that I can send you.

The other option is to insert the flashdrive and run the setup.exe from the flashdrive (with Windows 7 running) and perform an upgrade to Windows 10.

PC

Posts: 1342 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Note that you don’t really need a license key. You can use it unlicensed indefinitely. You just won’t be able to directly change the desktop pic, and it will have a watermark.

Install Win10 Pro. It’s worth it to have group policies to disable automatic updates.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem downloading from microshaft. I wound up just trying again on a weekday and it went through. I also tried the USB stick method and it didn't work for me. I made a DVD from the same .iso and it has worked for two installs since.

I will also say that I am much happier with 10 now and wished I had done this sooner. Like 2-3 years ago sooner.

Posts: 7273 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind something different...
Download the latest Linux/mint, make a live USB, and give it a try. If it can run your printer and your wireless, you might prefer it... for $0.

The hardware for wireless is usually the stumbling block for me.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2078 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post