SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question for the electricians here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for the electricians here Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
When the rocket surgeon who built my house wired the garage, he only put one outlet in the whole darn garage.

So, awhile back, I went and bought some outlets, romex, boxes, and conduit, and added four more. The main outlet is GFCI and all the others coming off it are standard.

I bought a new freezer today with the plan to put it in the garage on this circuit. However, this makes me a little nervous as I don't want the outlet tripping and ruining 21 cubic feet of frozen goodness.

Instructions from the manufacturer are to NOT put this freezer on a GFCI. However, since it is in the garage, it is required to be a GFCI outlet.

So, what does one do? Just plug and go, hoping for the best? Get a power outage alarm? Wire in a standard outlet to the line for the freezer and risk being put in a jail cell next to the guy who tore the tag off of his mattress?

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a power outage alarm?

You answered your own question.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
... and risk being put in a jail cell next to the guy who tore the tag off of his mattress?

Lol. Funny.

I've done a fair amount of electrical work, but I'm not an electrician, so I'll let one of them answer your questions. But one thing I'd be wondering right off is whether or not you have enough power on that circuit to handle your freezer and anything else you plug in out there.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
A garage can have a freezer circuit, unless code has changed. I am not an electrician.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
IIRC - An outlet exclusively servicing a refrigerator does not need to be on a GFI.

And it is a really bad idea to put one on a GFI.

Don't ask.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26410 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Just what I needed.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Just so you know, you can't get the stink out of a freezer that was full of rotting meat. Red Face

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
And what a lovely smell it is.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I was an electrician for 18 years... but that was awhile ago. I have run into the exact same situation.

Here, our inspector would (years ago) allow you to add a dedicated circuit and receptacle, non GFCI, for something like that. You had to use a single outlet, not a double, so nothing else would be likely to be plugged into it.

GFCIs have greatly improved. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if on a dedicated circuit, but a monitor is always a good idea.

All that being said I'm sure Skins will be along shortly...
I'd listen to him.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My plan was to make the main outlet standard and just move the GFCI down one to the next box. Seems to me that would be kosher but I want to be safe.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do that and use a red or orange cover plate with a label stating "Freezer Only" NOT GFI Protected Outlet."

It is no guarantee, but it will identify the outlet is unprotected.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run a dedicated line for the freezer and put it on a standard outlet.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I was an electrician for 18 years... but that was awhile ago. I have run into the exact same situation.

Here, our inspector would (years ago) allow you to add a dedicated circuit and receptacle, non GFCI, for something like that. You had to use a single outlet, not a double, so nothing else would be likely to be plugged into it.

GFCIs have greatly improved. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if on a dedicated circuit, but a monitor is always a good idea.

All that being said I'm sure Skins will be along shortly...
I'd listen to him.

Did someone rub my lamp?

It's a catch 22. Previously you were allowed a dedicated circuit with single receptacle. That exception has been removed. There is no way to both comply with manufactures instructions and required GFI locations. Manufactures instructions trump code when it is more restrictive/safer. I find it curious why manufacture would state this, seems to me a liability to do so.

If it was my house, I would ignore the code in this situation and install to previous standards. Dedicated circuit without GFI and single outlet. Then replace with GFI before selling it. I am not suggesting you actually do this, as I don't want to end up in bad advice thread, but I'd do it in my house, especially because I always wear shoes. GFIs are required in areas with unfinished floors because concrete is a ground (a poor one, but will shock you if wet).

You may want to contact the manufacture and ask them how to reconcile the conflict with code. They may tell you it's not intended to be used in garages or unfinished areas?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Skins. I'd rather not have to pay an electrician to come out and wire in a whole new line to the box (but will if needed), is it safe to do as I outlined above?

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Instructions from the manufacturer are to NOT put this freezer on a GFCI. However, since it is in the garage, it is required to be a GFCI outlet.

What the freak? Just wire up a regular outlet and be done with it. Geez Louise. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A freezer? I'd just plug it in to the GFI and be happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Skins. I'd rather not have to pay an electrician to come out and wire in a whole new line to the box (but will if needed), is it safe to do as I outlined above?

After a little more thought. I'd call the manufacture. This just doesn't seem right. It couldn't have got a UL listing with unsafe instructions. There must be a reason it got it's UL listing with those instructions. It may be that the construction of it isolates the external metal parts from the internal grounded frame of the freezer. This is the only reason I could think that it has these instructions.

Again if it was in my house I'd just install dedicated circuit with single receptacle, then change to GFI prior to sale of property. Mostly because I don't ever go barefoot outside of my living room, bathroom, or bedroom, so I'd be safe. The second reason I'd do a dedicated circuit is that if some other item fails in the house I would not want that to trip the circuit and ruin my food.

I am curious how it got it's listing, if you do call manufacture, please post the reason they state not to use a GFI.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Just so you know, you can't get the stink out of a freezer that was full of rotting meat. Red Face

And years to get the corpse smell out of the garage.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post