SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you make of Trump saying Dreamers can "rest easy?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you make of Trump saying Dreamers can "rest easy?" Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
Trump says he isn't interested in deporting young illegal immigrants. The so-called dreamers.

I am especially interested in opinions from those who supported Trump's very strict promises about immigration and the deportation of illegals.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It's a bit different when you campaign and once you're sitting behind the desk at the WH. Just the way it is.

People will support keeping the Dreamers here if they don't commit crimes and we secure the border. The people who are already here, so long as they don't engage in criminal behavior, will be allowed to stay but only if we secure the border.

If one cannot accept that securing the border first is the #1 priority you can have an honest discussion about who stays or goes. Dreamers and people already here will stay.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If someone was brought here as a minor, is now an adult, and is someone who can be a contributing member of society, I think there should be some mechanism for citizenship. It shouldn't necessarily be quick or easy, but it should exist.

If someone came as an adult, then send them back to where they came from.

If someone is still a minor, then far be it from me to break up a family. They can all head back home together.

There's a difference between your parents making a decision for you and making the decision yourself. The consequences should reflect this.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing mind you, but I think he's expecting that when the parents get repatriated, the 'dreamers' may well follow their parents voluntarily.

There never was any reasonable expectation of a 100% effective sweep, IMO.

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Trump says he isn't interested in deporting young illegal immigrants. The so-called dreamers.

I am especially interested in opinions from those who supported Trump's very strict promises about immigration and the deportation of illegals.

It's the unspoken sentence that follows "rest easy". It should be read as: "Rest Easy. We know who you are, you've made it a point that we know where you are....we'll get to you in good time." Big Grin

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I look at it like this. Illegal immigration is down by about 75% and the wall hasn't even been built yet.

Dreamers aren't the biggest fish to fry right now.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the unspoken sentence that follows "rest easy". It should be read as: "Rest Easy. We know who you are, you've made it a point that we know where you are....we'll get to you in good time."

Yeah. The Russian mentality. Lull them into complacency first.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Get the people committing additional crimes first. By additional crimes, I mean the ones committing murders, assaults, robberies, burglaries, dealing drugs, blocking city streets with protests, etc. in addition to being here illegally.

Dreamers are pretty far down my list, and I like that Trump has placed the priority on MS-13 and tightening the border.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Depends. Will Dreamers be used to anchor those who did choose to break our laws? We already have the 'don't break up the families' argument as if families weren't broken up when they immigrated illegally. The fact is the children of those who broke the law are not culpable. Build the wall and let them stay if they want. But when their law breaking parents get deported, those same Dreamers had better not squeal. They are free to go with their parents. This whole mess lands squarely in the laps of all of the politicians who could have, but refused to remedy this problem for the past 40 years. Now the repair will be ugly. That's how it goes.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
If DACA is not ended, the USA is doomed as a republic.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if they wanted the border CLOSED, it would have been done by now. It was CLOSED on 9/11 so don't tell me its NOT possible

just lacking the willpower to do it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Dreamers. Are they the ones raising the Mexican Flags in our schools? And burning ours? Did they pay for their public schooling? or their hospital bill when they were born?

They need to GTFO too.

Please come through the big beautiful door and tell us why you want to be an assimilated American citizen.

Posts: 8727 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
if they wanted the border CLOSED, it would have been done by now. It was CLOSED on 9/11 so don't tell me its NOT possible

just lacking the willpower to do it
Where did they put the temporary wall from 9/11? They should just use that again....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
If DACA is not ended, the USA is doomed as a republic.
Oh, please stop with the dire predictions. Roll Eyes

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Politics doesn't go out the window just because Trump is an "outsider." When Trump was elected he became the ultimate insider and he has to contend with the same political considerations as any other politician.

2. Trump is not and has never been an ideological conservative. He takes positions and does what he has to get the win. That doctrinal flexibility has resulted in some great things like Justice Gorsuch but also brought some negatives like Trumpcare and continuation of DACA.

3. With Trump, you never know what the future holds. Any of his current positions could simply be positions held for negotiation. No one really knows what he is willing to trade away and what is his bottom line. With Trump, you don't know the final result until he signs a bill into law. You really do sort of have to pass it to find out what's in it.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
If someone was brought here as a minor, is now an adult, and is someone who can be a contributing member of society, I think there should be some mechanism for citizenship. It shouldn't necessarily be quick or easy, but it should exist.

If someone came as an adult, then send them back to where they came from.

If someone is still a minor, then far be it from me to break up a family. They can all head back home together.

There's a difference between your parents making a decision for you and making the decision yourself. The consequences should reflect this.

This ^^^

If you were brought as a minor, have no criminal record AND can contribute to betterment of society I don't care if they stay. To me this means you have a college diploma OR are a licensed tradesman OR have five years employment with the same employer. Also you must have paid all taxes over the last five years. The last one might be the hard part.

I don't know how illegals even get jobs without a green card, but I'm pretty sure they can't have paid taxes, or if they did it was under a stolen identity which would identity theft. So maybe a fine to replace their untaxed income over the same period? $10,000 per year. I know it won't cover all of the services they've used, but it would cover some.

OR we could give them a ride in a Greyhound back to Mexico or plane to wherever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has some management from DHS implemented quotas for arrests and deportations?

That's what I've been thinking reading stories of both legal and illegal immigrants being deported. Note by 'legal immigrants' I'm referring to people Brecaidra has mentioned that were adopted by US parents when they were small children, grew up in the US, and frequently have for decades served in the military, built businesses, and been in general productive citizens.

What would make DHS go after people like this instead of targeting illegal immigrants causing the most harm? I think it's quotas.

To me, what they are doing now to people adopted decades ago is criminal.

Posts: 2379 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Politics doesn't go out the window just because Trump is an "outsider." When Trump was elected he became the ultimate insider and he has to contend with the same political considerations as any other politician.

2. Trump is not and has never been an ideological conservative. He takes positions and does what he has to get the win. That doctrinal flexibility has resulted in some great things like Justice Gorsuch but also brought some negatives like Trumpcare and continuation of DACA.

3. With Trump, you never know what the future holds. Any of his current positions could simply be positions held for negotiation. No one really knows what he is willing to trade away and what is his bottom line. With Trump, you don't know the final result until he signs a bill into law. You really do sort of have to pass it to find out what's in it.

It's like a box of chocolates...

Trump wasn't my first choice because of this. But I voted for him because it was Trump or Hillary, and Trump is the clear favorite when it's a binary choice.

I prefer enforcing the law on immigration... which, prior to DACA, meant the deportation of illegals. What part of illegal do people not understand? Actually, I prefer the more restrictive law before LBJ's 1965 immigration act which has been a disaster.
Why don't we have a pause in ALL immigration?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

That's what I've been thinking reading stories of both legal and illegal immigrants being deported. Note by 'legal immigrants' I'm referring to people Brecaidra has mentioned that were adopted by US parents when they were small children, grew up in the US, and frequently have for decades served in the military, built businesses, and been in general productive citizens.

What would make DHS go after people like this instead of targeting illegal immigrants causing the most harm? I think it's quotas.

If you were adopted as a child by US parents, aren't you a citizen, or eligible to be? It is unimaginable that you would not be.

I think what Trump is giving voice to is that resources are going to be directed to trouble makers to the point that unless you cause some negative attention, you won't be getting any.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

If you were adopted as a child by US parents, aren't you a citizen, or eligible to be? It is unimaginable that you would not be.

Not if the parents don't fill out paperwork or lose documents.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post