SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you make of Trump saying Dreamers can "rest easy?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you make of Trump saying Dreamers can "rest easy?" Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Trump wasn't my first choice because of this. But I voted for him because it was Trump or Hillary, and Trump is the clear favorite when it's a binary choice.

I prefer enforcing the law on immigration... which, prior to DACA, meant the deportation of illegals. What part of illegal do people not understand? Actually, I prefer the more restrictive law before LBJ's 1965 immigration act which has been a disaster.
Why don't we have a pause in ALL immigration?

I agree with this and is my position.

Either you are her legally or you are not and it needs to be addressed. Of course priorities need to be taken.

Some possible options.

-- A path to citizenship for those that are not breaking the law (other than being here illegally) and would be net contributors to the economy and
not leeches. Some sort of time limit and caps on welfare would be needed.
-- Temporary worker with strict rules that is not allowed to leech of the rest of us placing their children on public aid, etc.
-- Find families who want to FULLY support them and be legally responsible for their actions.
-- Evicted from our country. Possibly with a one way ticket to Canada.

Also vigorously enforce existing immigration laws on employers who hire illegal including using the IRS to go after them. Self deportation would be one of the most effective ways.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are priorities in every law enforcement action.
We have so many illegal aliens that if they put legitimate "Dreamers" at the bottom, that certainly won't bother me. The important thing is to START TAKING ACTION to stop the plague and to stop any future dreamer problem.

Also, allowing Dreamers to "rest easy" is still quite different than announcing that immigration laws will not be enforced at all.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
All the screaming and protesting is about enforcement of existing immigration law.
It's got to take all the ICE resources just to do that, since it hasn't been done for at least eight years, maybe longer.

We have not in my memory given this much attention and resources to immigrtion enforcement, so I'm not complaining.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The dreamers that are getting deported are those that commit crimes or break the rules. In the last week a dreamer was caught sneaking back into the country. The system allows dreamers to travel outside the US but he hadn't done the paperwork. Worse he'd let his status laspe. It wasn't current.
There was a dreamer that was stopped when ICE raided and arrested her father and others. She was released after claiming to be a dreamer. Once her status was checked it was found she hadn't renewed and it was 4 months since her status ended. She and her supported were claiming ICE targeted her as she had attended a rally. Then claimed she couldn't pay the renewal fee. This last is extensively addressed in the documents.
My take on what the President said is that dreamers have a path to citizenship but must follow the law.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post