SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All in one printer for the house recommendations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All in one printer for the house recommendations. Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
I searched but the last thread I found on this was over a year old.

Need a good all in one printer for home office.
We rarely print anything, but I'd say every 2 weeks need to print out a document, recipe or whatever.
Occasionally print photos, it is rare, so I do need a decent photo printing quality.
Need a good scanner, more for documents than photos.
I just need to scan and print, don't need to fax anything, being we don't have a landline.

Currently have a Canon MG7720 that spends too much time warming up to print.
I go to print something and it takes it's sweet time to do it.
Usually end up unplugging it and then plugging it back in, after reprimanding me for not powering it off properly, it prints.
It also eats color ink despite only printing black and white text documents.

I researched monochrome all in ones, but the wife thinks she wants/needs color.

I've spent several days going thru Google searches and Amazon reviews and I'm not getting any positive results.
For any printer/scanner, I'm reading 3 negative reviews out of every 5 reviews for anything.

Any input is much appreciated.

TIA......1lowlife

Posts: 4369 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and...

1 - Buy a Brother MFC machine (Black and white AIO)
2 - Send the few photos you print to Walgreens.com and pick them up in an hour at your local Walgreens' store.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you only print something every 2 weeks you want a laser printer. Injet ink will just dry up or smudge with the infrequency of use.

I've been very happy with my HP LaserJet 200 series printer/scanner/copier/fax for the past 2 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

2 - Send the few photos you print to Walgreens.com and pick them up in an hour at your local Walgreens' store.

Exactly this.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Exactly this.

Alright! I've always wanted to join a bandwagon!!!
We've had a Brother MFC black & white AIO at the house for a few years. When we needed something new at our store, I purchased a Brother MFC black & white AIO. I ran across a deal on basic printers to install in two locations at our store. They are plain Brother Laser Printers. All the Brother printers we have use the same toner cartridge.
I'm going to pick up a new Brother MFC AIO soon, as that $%#@ Samsung we have has finally bit the dust. Never a Samsung again (gave up on HP many years ago).
In the near future, Brother Laser printers are what I'll purchase.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I like brother and will NEVER buy a Cannon or HP due to their waaaaaay over price ink cartridges.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8389 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this timely post. I, too, am in need of a printer and was debating what to get. Brother MFC it is!

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a similar thread about 4 or 5 years ago I took the suggestions and purchased a color Brother MFC. Been spot on, no issues thousands of pages printed and scanned later. My wife's a teacher who prints out a lot of color worksheets for her kids, when we had the inkjet I could just see the money flow out of our account as we bought the cartridges. With the laser, I'm only replacing the toner once or twice a year, huge savings. One thing that Brother does however, is signal via their software print application when a toner is low, this is rarely a true indication that you are about to run out (at least in my experince). I remove the toner, rotate it side to side, reinstall, reset the toner feature on the printer and I am good to go for several hundred plus pages of printing.

So to sum it up- cant go wrong with a Brother.

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above. Amazon or B&H Photo is my go to place for printers.
I use a Brother MFC-5800 & a Brother Color laser as a backup. I always use Brother toner in my MFC-5800 since a cheap toner cartridge ruined the drum. I have used the cheap toner in the Brother laser color without a problem (just shitty print sometimes). If the drums do go I just buy a new MFC 5800 printer for $300.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4278 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with this Brother that I have been using for about 4 years now. It always works and the replacement cartridges are affordable and readily available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Brother.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
As was said already, for infrequent printing with majority text, get a laser (and a Brother at that), and go somewhere to print photos.

You'll spend more money on dried or wasted ink than you will printing photos at Walmart (or the like), plus their printers are better than you will get for home quality stuff.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
We rarely print anything, but I'd say every 2 weeks need to print out a document, recipe or whatever.

quote:

You have a bit of a conflict going on then, huh?

If you aren't using it much - why keep powering the unit to be ready 27/7?
Most units have a sleep function to keep them idle when not in use.
Some need to warm up before the start- this is normal.
Maybe just be patient or plan better.
My Xerox Laser ColorQube (not a MFC) takes a few minutes to warm up from idle - normal - and from there on if a lot of printing is going on it is quick.
Otherwise research time-to-first-page spec.
YMMV

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

quote:

You have a bit of a conflict going on then, huh?

If you aren't using it much - why keep powering the unit to be ready 27/7?
Most units have a sleep function to keep them idle when not in use.
Some need to warm up before the start- this is normal.
Maybe just be patient or plan better.
My Xerox Laser ColorQube (not a MFC) takes a few minutes to warm up from idle - normal - and from there on if a lot of printing is going on it is quick.
Otherwise research time-to-first-page spec.
YMMV

I don’t keep it turned on.
It turns itself on when I send it something to print, then it powers off by itself.
There is the problem, I hit print on my computer screen, the printer comes on and reads printer powering up please wait.
So after waiting 10 and up to 30 minutes, I unplug it and plug it back in.
After giving me a screen that reads the unit was shut down incorrectly, it immediately prints.

I’ll take pics when I get home of the messages it gives me.
My planning is just fine thanks.
It should not take 10 to 30 minutes to print a piece of paper.
If that’s poor planning on my part, then fuck me.

Thanks for the help, to those that actually helped.
I’ll look into the monochrome.
I bet I haven’t printed s photo in 2 years, although the wife says she needs color for her documents.
I’ll look for a brother color printer.

I’m on the way to micro center to return the Epson work force pro she bought yesterday.
I’didn even open it.
I looked at the less than 50% reviews on Amazon and told her I was taking it back.

Posts: 4369 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues with my HP8600 series but family uses a tree worth per month,usually less than a minute to print

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
My old HP three in one unit died in December.
It had outlasted three computers.
Smile

I bought a HP five in one unit from Staples while it was on sale for $89 plus tax.
Model: Office Jet Pro 6978

It does: Print, Fax, Scan, Copy, Web.
It came with a HP "Instant Ink" subscription.
The monthly page counts that are available range from 300 pages a month up into the thousands.

I chose a 300 pages a month "Instant Ink" subscription.
The printer has it's own unique email address and orders it's ink from HP when needed.

What a bonus! Never go to the store again for printer ink.
And what does that convenience cost per month?
A whopping THREE DOLLARS.

Nothing available on the market will have a price that low. A penny a page for copies, prints, photos.

Another bonus. The HP "Instant Ink" cartridges are even larger than the "XL" consumer sized cartridges available at retailers.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Canon. Prints through my network. 30sec to print.
I refill the black. All I do is b/w.
Too easy.
The color dries out from non use.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Exactly this.

Precisely, exactly this. I have a Brother MFC and it is terrific.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Did someone say Brother yet ?

Brother

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post