SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All in one printer for the house recommendations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All in one printer for the house recommendations. Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot this thread just made me buy a Brother HL-5470 DW.
I have a HL4570CDW.
Reason: they use the same laser toners and drum BUT the new one is Air Print Compatable for MAC users.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8391 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys..

I'm looking at these

Brother MFC-L3710CW

Brother MFC-L3750CDW

Wife insists she needs color for work stuff.
Since I've lived in the house, a little over 11 years, I've purchased 4 printers.
2 Canons and 2 HPs.

The Canons worked better with Canon ink, for color anyway.
The Canon also has individual ink cartridges, the current MG7720 has 6, including 2 different black ones.

The HP printer has 1 black and one color cartridge.
One thing that irritated me with the second HP was the constant attempt to sign up for the auto ink program.

They each lasted about 2 or 3 years each, petering out for 1 reason or another.

I tire of buying color ink cartridges with the majority of printing is black and white.
I'm guessing every time I power a printer up, or it self starts, it cleans the ink head and purges a butt load of ink in the process.

Although more expensive for the Brother unit and the toner, I'm hoping in the long run it will be a better investment.
I do appreciate the help...

Posts: 4370 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have an HP printer that prints fine. It is nice that there are only two ink cartridges, but the con about this printer is that it just starts printing faded documents, the only clue that you are low on ink, and there is no feature that lets you know that you are out of ink or which cartridge is out of ink. I looked at some of the Brother printers, and they are so full of features that I would Never use, or even want. All I want to do is send a document to the printer and have it print. I would also want a printer that tells you when you are low on ink and Which cartridge is the culprit. No guessing games, and the Only reason I’m even looking at maybe a new printer. Having a scanner would be nice. Currently If I need to copy something, I have to get the camera out, take the photo into Photoshop and so on. Having a scanner would simplify that process. I also don’t care about wireless (don’t trust my new router). I have a very limited space to put a new printer and most of these are too large to fit there. Why does choosing a simple printer have to be so complicated. Every manufacture has dozens of models to choose from. Why?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Epson cheaper then all the name brand and prints anything I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Get a color laser
I had brother b&w laser , but it wore out
Now have canon multi function color laser

Ink doesnt dry out.
Prints beautifully
Copier , scanner , fax
Duplexer , and very low power in sleep mode

Posts: 833 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HAve a Tabloid sized Brother Color MFC machine in my office at work and can only report a GLOWING POSITIVE review. Thing is a freak for conserving ink, with usage rates of about 1 full ream of paper per month I can go about 6 months before changing an ink cartridge. As for the color Photo print quality all I can say is that is excellent for an inkjet and TABLOID. BTW, current model equivalent is the MFC J5945DW with a retail listed price of 299.99 on the Brother website but Staples lists them at 349.95.. Yeah a bit odd but I suspect that the Brother website may be out of date.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5662 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
Wife insists she needs color for work stuff.
Ask your wife to be honest and estimate the total number of color copies/print pages she's made in the last year. If its less than 25, she doesn't need a color printer. As I noted, picture prints can go to Walgreen's and color print pages to OfficeMax, Office Depot, or Staples as needed. Way less expensive and headache pone than owning an ink jet printer for that small number of prints. My bet, what you'll find in actual practice, you won't be visiting Walgreen's or one of the other stores I noted very often.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post