SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aluminum cans have a plastic liner (short science video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum cans have a plastic liner (short science video) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I did know that aluminum cans had a plastic liner, but I've always enjoyed teachers who can bring their subject to life and inspire their students to be interested in whatever subject they taught...and this teacher did that for me with this video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xIVONw9Pr4w?feature=share

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So what is the practical purpose of the plastic liner?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

It keeps the acid in the beverage from damaging the can and degrading the taste.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's so you get that great plastic flavor we all know and love.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Though I'm not a beverage scientist, to expand, the plastic liner probably reduces the negative affects on having the AL in contact with the beverage, which could affect the flavor, or even result in leeching of the AL into the solution over time. Also, as many beverages are somewhat acidic (Coke is known to remove paint! Eek ), it would surely eat through the AL can at some point. It's probably better for long term storage, as the plastic would likely provide a better air tight/vacuum seal than raw AL as well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
All that makes sense.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
quote:

It keeps the acid in the beverage from damaging the can and degrading the taste.

Someone on the Youtube comments said they had a pop (soda, for everyone else) can from another country and could taste the metal to the point it was undrinkable.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Though I'm not a beverage scientist, to expand, the plastic liner probably reduces the negative affects on having the AL in contact with the beverage, which could affect the flavor, or even result in leeching of the AL into the solution over time. Also, as many beverages are somewhat acidic (Coke is known to remove paint! Eek ), it would surely eat through the AL can at some point. It's probably better for long term storage, as the plastic would likely provide a better air tight/vacuum seal than raw AL as well.

It's not just aluminum, most canned goods are in cans that have plastic coating. Veggies, tomato sauces, etc....

I wasn't really aware of this until I started paying more attention to endocrine disrupting chemicals in the things we put in and on our bodies. Most of the plastics in these cans are not harmless and contain bisphenol A (BPA).

What is BPA, and what are the concerns about BPA?

Some companies will label their cans as being BPA free.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post