SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Palmer Station Antarcticia Webcam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmer Station Antarcticia Webcam Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/palwebcam.cfm

Lesser known smaller station, and interesting facts about it. Probably some SigForum members have been there. Of course, McMurdo "McTown" dwarfs Palmer Station.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Not much nightlife. The Navy used to give out bonus time for serving at one of these stations to "protect" the scientists. Navy personnel that have served there do not really want return unless they prefer isolation from the rest of the world.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I visited the link and my first thought as it refreshed was: "if I see a sled dog running loose......" with the way this year has gone so far.

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
I visited the link and my first thought as it refreshed was: "if I see a sled dog running loose......" with the way this year has gone so far.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ku7qnh261CY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That sled dog was "Jed".

The webcam image of Palmer Station is monochromatic for sure.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
14 degrees and a -3 wind chill. How refreshing that would be. I will take it. That looks spectacular to me. Smile

Supposed to be in the mid 90's here. Doh!
I am so over summer. Winter could start tonight!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
14 degrees and a -3 wind chill. How refreshing that would be. I will take it. Supposed to be in the mid 90's here. Doh!
I am so over summer. Winter could start tonight!

Not me, but I respect your preference.

I used to read a lot about the SP. amazing that most of Antarctica is on a super elevated plateau . I once emailed one of the doctors that rotated at the old McMurdo Station. He told me back then, that people would go outside the complex to smoke. And that every crew change for the winter brought in a round of bad colds. And their biggest fear wasn't of the extreme cold, but the base catching fire!

This was about 1999.

美しい犬

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
you realize a cold has nothing to do with the temperature Wink

Yes a fire would be catastrophic. Surely they have a temporary emergency shelter away from the station they could survive at until rescued.

posted Hide Post
Whenever I see a sight like this I always think of John Carpenter's "The Thing" Eek

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
you realize a cold has nothing to do with the temperature Wink

Yes a fire would be catastrophic. Surely they have a temporary emergency shelter away from the station they could survive at until rescued.

Yes, I realize that. What the doctor implied, was people coming into the station from other places in the world for the winter stint, brought in the virus.

After the colds made the rounds, they weren't bothered with colds again.

The old station was a hodgepodge of buildings inside a dome. And no doubt, there was emergency quarters.

美しい犬

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
The only thing I see moving is the flag! Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I could deal with it for a spell/rotation.

As long as there was constant power and water and such.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Fun Fact: The first recorded human birth in Antarctica was in 1978.

Wouldn't it be cool to have "Antarctica" on your passport under "place of birth"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
The 2 fuel tanks on the left side of the view wound up getting diesel too high in paraffin for the winter of 2011 and it solidified. They had to melt it into a liquid in the generator building before burning it.
We had to wait for summer of 2012 to pump it all onto the LM Gould and refill their tanks with "liquid" diesel.
I have a ton of photos but I see photo bucket won't let me upload them any more until I pay a fee.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
-75F at the south pole station.
-107F windchill.
Whoa Eek
Now that is extreme..

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
The 2 fuel tanks on the left side of the view wound up getting diesel too high in paraffin for the winter of 2011 and it solidified. They had to melt it into a liquid in the generator building before burning it.
We had to wait for summer of 2012 to pump it all onto the LM Gould and refill their tanks with "liquid" diesel.
I have a ton of photos but I see photo bucket won't let me upload them any more until I pay a fee.

"Probably some SigForum members have been there."

Amazing : The wide reach of Sig Forum !

美しい犬

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
With the horrible heat for so many. Thought this thread deserved a bump Smile

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Email me and I'll host em if you'd like.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
The current nighttime viewing gives a whole new level of meaning to
“We will leave a light on for you!”

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMGUR.COM

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post