SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about RealID in California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about RealID in California Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Amazing thing the internet is. According the the Department of Homeland Security, there are 5 possible designators indicating your driver's license is Read ID compliant: a gold star, a black star, a white star with a gold circle back ground, a white star with a black circle background, and California, a white star with a gold bear background.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
There’s your answer, henryaz. A surprisingly irregular set of symbols. I wonder if the set is now frozen.

The symbol is placed in the upper right corner of my CA DL. I wonder if the symbol location varies by state.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Go on the web page for your power company, even if you are paperless you can print a pdf of your bill.
OP, first paragraph, last sentence, "And I don’t have a printer."

Well, print to a PDF and put it on your phone.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Once you have the Real ID, you don't have to renew it or establish eligibility.

This may not be true. I have a Texas driver license marked as RealID compliant, but I DO have to bring a huge raft of documents for this renewal to "prove" heaven knows what.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From DHS

Link

Except for holders of temporary or limited term licenses or identification cards, applicants renewing their licenses or identification cards do not need to re-submit identity source documents unless there has been a material change in any personally identifiable information (PII) since prior issuance.

Cal DMV allows online renewals of DL with Real ID.

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Here is the CA DMV's website:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/...-id/what-is-real-id/

If you have the gold bear on your CDL then you are good. Just renew your DL like in the past.

If you have "Federal Limits Apply" printed on your DL then you need to get a Real ID.

It did the Real ID thing back in 2019. It took all of about 15 minutes. Just print out the stuff they want to you bring and fill the forms out online and print them out before you go to the DMV.

Again, if you already have a Real ID, no need to do anything other than just renew your DL.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The state of MA had all my information since I was 16.

They still made me bring it in.

Then they rejected me because my Social Security card was laminated. I had to send for a new card.

All while they had my SS# in the system.

As well as a couple of state licenses that are tied to my ss# and my carry permit.

You can't fix government stupid.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

This may not be true. I have a Texas driver license marked as RealID compliant, but I DO have to bring a huge raft of documents for this renewal to "prove" heaven knows what.

Does your DL have the gold star in the top right corner?

https://www.texas.gov/driver-s...0replacement%20card.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Does your DL have the gold star in the top right corner?

https://www.texas.gov/driver-s...0replacement%20card.

Yes, That is my point. I have to jump through the hoops anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Is that the case for everyone renewing a Real ID DL in TX, or was there some particular reason why you had to jump through the hoops?

The reason I ask: when I got my DL with Real ID in 2018, I took a set of documents. A few weeks later one of my neighbors took the very same set of documents, but was told that they weren’t sufficient. She had to return with an additional document. Don’t remember which one.

At that time the Real ID requirements in CA were in flux. So I’m concerned that my Real ID status might be insufficient for transfer to my new license.

Serious about crackers

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Amazing thing the internet is. According the the Department of Homeland Security, there are 5 possible designators indicating your driver's license is Read ID compliant: a gold star, a black star, a white star with a gold circle back ground, a white star with a black circle background, and California, a white star with a gold bear background.

How do they expect TSA personnel to remember all five? Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
even though I have a gold star on my D.L. when ever I fly, just to be contrary, I use my passport. I guess the odd thing is it does not have a gold star on it.

I think it was before the real I.D. requirement but a number of years ago I went through the TSA security check... got on the plane and had put my D.L. in my pocket after showing it and my boarding pass... went to put the Drivers License back in my wallet and realized I had shown the TSA agent my S.C. concealed carry permit instead.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post