SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last day of work yesterday.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last day of work yesterday. Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
Decided to retire. Officially the last day of work is 12/31 but we are on leave between Christmas and New Years. Didn’t sleep well last night. Guess the mind is purging memories of all those years of wearing the yoke in the psychic prison. Just going to relax and take it easy for a while. Will start building raised garden beds next month. Have to be the day care for the grandchildren after Christmas for a week. Looking forward to spending more time with them. Life is looking good.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I hope I live long enough to retire.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sounds like a good plan.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats, you will love it if you allow yourself to Wink

There is nothing like it. And no I do not just sit around in retirement. It is a blast.

But the money is not great, for me anyways. But I ain't complaining.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Retirement has been the best gig ever for me, hope you have the same.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You have a plan so that's good!

I still have a little over four years to go. My plan is to visit my grandchildren on the army base and then never leave. Everything I need is available on base or with Amazon Prime. I don't know if my son and his wife will like it, but live in grandpa is going to be a thing Wink

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy the new phase of life.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You can have fun. Just don't allow others to manage your time. They will feel its their duty to keep you busy on their projects. If you feel like it, keep busy on your own projects, but don't be afraid to take a day off. Or two.

I take every day off. They (the ones who want you to do things) sometimes forget you're retired. That means you don't have or want a boss. It drives them mad sometimes to see you just sitting there, doing nothing.

I bought a kind of expensive recliner. I sit looking out front at the river. I can do it for hours on end, and I like it. You can even go to a Home Despot and wander around, looking at all the junk they sell. Tools to hurt yourself with. Its why you don't buy them.

You can even make pledges to start a project, some day. When you fell like it (or not).

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I have two years to go.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Good decision, I retired a year ago and I'm loving it.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You can have fun. Just don't allow others to manage your time. They will feel its their duty to keep you busy on their projects. If you feel like it, keep busy on your own projects, but don't be afraid to take a day off. Or two.

I take every day off. They (the ones who want you to do things) sometimes forget you're retired. That means you don't have or want a boss. It drives them mad sometimes to see you just sitting there, doing nothing.

I bought a kind of expensive recliner. I sit looking out front at the river. I can do it for hours on end, and I like it. You can even go to a Home Despot and wander around, looking at all the junk they sell. Tools to hurt yourself with. Its why you don't buy them.

You can even make pledges to start a project, some day. When you fell like it (or not).
Sounds a little like me--my lounge chair is so comfortable it's where I sleep.

Enjoy your retirement k5blazer! Follow your dreams.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finishing one chapter and starting another. Hope the climax of your book is yet to come.

Envy. I'm on approach but still too early to lower flaps and wheels.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Enjoy!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Enjoy yourself. Embrace two rules in retirement:

--cherish family
--safeguard health

I've been retired now for well over a decade and have never regretted the move I made before I had even turned 60. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
Retired in July '94 and never looked back. When did I ever find time to work!
This new phase of your life is incredible: Enjoy every last minute of it.
Data shows that those who retire earlier live longer!!

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Congrats! January will be three years retired for me. Left at 57 after 38 years. All IT.

Note on my business cards says it all "Doing what I want, when I want, if I want. And Honey-do list"

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Enjoy!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
The greatest thing about retirement is you get to do what YOU want when YOU want too!!

Enjoy

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrads....now just don't sit in front of the TV, get out and travel. There's lot's to see in the lower 48.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post