SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last day of work yesterday.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last day of work yesterday. Login/Join 
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I have been retired for four years and only regret was not hanging it up a year earlier.
You can accomplish so much with simple things and share your time with the grandchildren. If they are old enough take the fishing or set up a BB gun range in the back yard and start teaching them some basics. Mainly do things that make you happy. Create some special memories.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I remember posting the same message. My wife and I retired on the same day.

That was 4 years ago. Time seems to be double time in retirement for me. The days, weeks, months just fly by.

We stay busy with travel and grandchildren. We have spent the last 4 winters in sunny, warm locations and summers in Montana.

These have been 4 of the best years of our lives. Relish these days you have now. There’s a big world out there.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I also bought a leather recliner... after trial sitting in every one in every store for 50 miles around! Also got a 75" TV and surround system.

I do try to keep busy by doing something constructive EVERY single day... for example just yesterday I changed out a burned out light bulb in a lamp. Big Grin

Tons of request, by everyone I know it seems because they know I tinker with everything from auto repair to remodeling houses. I now just accept all request, but explain I will have to put them on my list... and right now my list is three and a half years long. Big Grin. Still need my help?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

With luck, I have a little over 4 years to go - Looking at Mar of 2023...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on making it to the finish line. Enjoy what you want to do when you want to do it.

I roll my eyes at people who say they don't want to retire because they might be bored. They miss the point. Your off the clock man, you do what you want when you want and you no longer have to kiss the ring of the higher ups.

I've been working since I was about 10 or 12 (under the table until legally able to work). Still have a couple of decades in front of me. I dream of retirement and hope I am fortunate enough to do so.

I wish you many years of stress free living and memories with your family.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Enjoy your new life.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and enjoy yourself.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I retired earlier this year.

I have the same reply to everyone who asks what it’s like: “I highly recommend it”. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Congrats on RETIREMENT.

My wife is in the same boat (same last day at work, and same date on retirement) after 31y&5m as Army civilian employee. She too has been de-cluttering her mind (sleeping better too), and she’s smiling more now as she gets rid of the related supervisory stress she’s suffered with. She has literally been purging her office files into the burn-bag and says “It’s liberating”.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Retirement time came and went for me 4 years ago. It just is not my cup of tea so I continue to go to the office. I'm well paid, appreciated, have plenty of vacation time, and in good health. My wife and I travel and want for nothing, so I see no need for retirement. Plus my group health insurance is much better than Medicare (which I am forced to take, regardless) so if either one of us gets sick, the bills will not be a burden as it would be with Medicare.
I will retire whenever I can no longer think or work.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
all the best

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Just to rest your mind when my father retired he said he felt like a boil on the ass end of society. You know not working and all. Two weeks later he was loving life. Best wishes to you K5.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds great!

I see myself having a difficult time with cutting off the income when the time comes.

I've been self employed my entire career, so no lifetime pension. Whatever is in the savings/investments that day is it.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you!

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Best of wishes to you on your new chapter in life.

I retired the end of June 2017.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
CONGRADULATIONS!
I’m just starting year five. What gets me is how busy retirement is and how I ever had time to work.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just realized I’m coming up on 4 years of retirement as of 2/9/19.
Truly amazing how little one can get done with all the time in the world!

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I've been out for almost 12 years now. Soon you'll wonder how you ever found time to do what you did while working a full day.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Congratulations when you start to feel bored find some hobbies to fill that time. Enjoy you retirement!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post