SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No matter what, just don't quit
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No matter what, just don't quit Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Fascinating read, thank you for sharing. I mean it when I say you helped me with something I was struggling with today. You’ve helped me realize it will be ok. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible story! Thanks for writing it down here.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Having lived a similar story I feel you. Congratulations on keeping on.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sigolicious, You've had enough events, adventures, misadventures, and and hard knocks for several lifetimes.
It reminds me very much of J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy, except your story is even more extreme, and even more an example of the importance of resilience.

Thank you for sharing it with us; I'm going to be mulling that over and seeing how what you have learned might be adapted in a useful way for our family. I consider myself blessed, but my wife and I have had our own share of tragedies and pain that can not be forgotten. Your message is important for all of us.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to appreciate what you have been dealt and make the best of it.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
David, this has become a trite term but a sincere thank you for sharing your inspirational story and trusting us. The good life you have is something you made for yourself. Congratulations.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your story. Will be praying for your family.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Can’t say it any better than Smudge did:

Sigolicious, thank you for posting your story. I'm a bit in awe, and also happy for you. You've gotten quite a deep drink of life, and there's a serenity and wisdom in your words that speaks to that.

Prayers for your family.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
David, Life does not change you. It makes you who you are.

And you are a heck of a guy. Wink

I knew some of that about your life from our conversations. None of the rest of it surprised me.

Plow on through brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
You have a great attitude and have shown courage to share a very personal story with all of us, thank you for that.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Hell of a story man. I’m going my to read this to my family. Maybe my kids will start to appreciate what they have a little more.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
Truly inspiring story, Shipmate! Congratulations for finding your brother!

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that your were actually named Sigolicious? I am so proud that you managed to keep it all together so well. Congratulations!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for taking the time to read. I appreciate all of you here at sigforum. I've learned a lot from this place.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

This last year has involved a lot of serious life changes for me, and that's completely leaving aside the covid nonsense. Things involving perspective, health, and time, or what's left of it. I haven't gone into it here on SF, but it's been a really, really heavy twelve months or so. I've basically had to just surrender to all of it, because anything short of that, and it becomes a crushing burden almost instantly. I feel like I've had serenity thrust upon me, as bizarre as that might sound to some, but I feel like you know what I'm talking about. My boss asked me the other day how I was doing with it all, and I told him "I get up every day, and I go to work, and I'm grateful." You said it better, though.

I can wholeheartedly embrace both surrendering to that witch is out of my control and having serenity thrust upon me. After my son passed, I let go of a lot of things. It took me a while to sort out how I was coping and it really felt like the old variety show where the fella has plates spinning on sticks. Those spinning plates are the things in life I thought were priorities, and I have to keep them plates a spinnin. Well, I started letting some plates crash, low and behold the repercussions were not nearly as much to deal with as I thought. And now I had more time and energy for the parts of life that really are important. I got your back, you've got your back, don't quit!

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker: .........

You’re not that far from me. I’m sure I will end up in your neck of the woods at some point this spring/summer going off road. Maybe we can grab some lunch?

If there is any ammo left in spring, we should do an AZ SigForum get together. Hell, don't even need ammo, just good people and good times.

quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I'll keep your daughter & grandson in my thoughts and prayers. Even though she is doing an awesome with her son, my hope is for endurance for the long term.

I have two way to look at this. I hope she doesn't have to keep up because the cancer goes away, or..........

quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Fascinating read, thank you for sharing. I mean it when I say you helped me with something I was struggling with today. You’ve helped me realize it will be ok. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You are welcome. Keep it going, don't quit. You've got this.
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sigolicious, You've had enough events, adventures, misadventures, and and hard knocks for several lifetimes.
It reminds me very much of J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy, except your story is even more extreme, and even more an example of the importance of resilience.

Thank you for sharing it with us; I'm going to be mulling that over and seeing how [b]what you have learned[/] might be adapted in a useful way for our family. I consider myself blessed, but my wife and I have had our own share of tragedies and pain that can not be forgotten. Your message is important for all of us.

You have hit on a key part of not quitting. I've learned so much. It took a few more years than I may have liked, but I have learned each time more about how life works. This just made it easier the next time around.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Are you saying that your were actually named Sigolicious? I am so proud that you managed to keep it all together so well. Congratulations!

flashguy

Shush, I'll have some explaining to do if my wife finds out that's not my given name. Big Grin

Posts: 2028 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
Thank you all for taking the time to read. I appreciate all of you here at sigforum. I've learned a lot from this place.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

This last year has involved a lot of serious life changes for me, and that's completely leaving aside the covid nonsense. Things involving perspective, health, and time, or what's left of it. I haven't gone into it here on SF, but it's been a really, really heavy twelve months or so. I've basically had to just surrender to all of it, because anything short of that, and it becomes a crushing burden almost instantly. I feel like I've had serenity thrust upon me, as bizarre as that might sound to some, but I feel like you know what I'm talking about. My boss asked me the other day how I was doing with it all, and I told him "I get up every day, and I go to work, and I'm grateful." You said it better, though.

I can wholeheartedly embrace both surrendering to that witch is out of my control and having serenity thrust upon me. After my son passed, I let go of a lot of things. It took me a while to sort out how I was coping and it really felt like the old variety show where the fella has plates spinning on sticks. Those spinning plates are the things in life I thought were priorities, and I have to keep them plates a spinnin. Well, I started letting some plates crash, low and behold the repercussions were not nearly as much to deal with as I thought. And now I had more time and energy for the parts of life that really are important. I got your back, you've got your back, don't quit!

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker: .........

You’re not that far from me. I’m sure I will end up in your neck of the woods at some point this spring/summer going off road. Maybe we can grab some lunch?

If there is any ammo left in spring, we should do an AZ SigForum get together. Hell, don't even need ammo, just good people and good times.

quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I'll keep your daughter & grandson in my thoughts and prayers. Even though she is doing an awesome with her son, my hope is for endurance for the long term.

I have two way to look at this. I hope she doesn't have to keep up because the cancer goes away, or..........

quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:

You are welcome. Keep it going, don't quit. You've got this.
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Thank you for sharing it with us; I'm going to be mulling that over and seeing how [b]what you have learned[/] might be adapted in a useful way for our family. I consider myself blessed, but my wife and I have had our own share of tragedies and pain that can not be forgotten. Your message is important for all of us.

You have hit on a key part of not quitting. I've learned so much. It took a few more years than I may have liked, but I have learned each time more about how life works. This just made it easier the next time around.

quote:

flashguy

Shush, I'll have some explaining to do if my wife finds out that's not my given name. Big Grin
Well some here have called you "David" (that's my name, too)--is that accurate?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well some here have called you "David" (that's my name, too)--is that accurate?

flashguy

That is an accurate reflection of me Smile

Posts: 2028 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Interesting life. We are the same age and I have 8.5 years to retirement and times like these I wish I had stayed in the Air Force for at least 20. Glad you made through all that and can sit back and enjoy life.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post