SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H.R. 3388, The SELF DRIVE act (autonomous vehicles), makes it past committee in a 54-0 bipartisan vote.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H.R. 3388, The SELF DRIVE act (autonomous vehicles), makes it past committee in a 54-0 bipartisan vote. Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
People will soon regret supporting this nonsense. People are going to die as a result of this unnecessary Buck Rogers crap. Yeah, an unmanned truck weighing several tons, barreling down the road at 70 mph. What could go wrong?

Insanity. It's the very definition of insanity, folks.

Oh, but it's "progress", right? Maybe I'll live to see people wake up to how very much they've compromised their own safety on the roadways. No doubt, they'll all be shocked that this crap didn't work out.

Implemented: 2028

Banned from American roadways: 2035

This is the beginning of absolute government control. It seems that for a group of people that loves its' personal freedoms and their ability to make their own choices, most of SigForum can't wait to hand over those very things so idiots can run around with Skynet in control of their lives, you know, because it'll save lives! I am in control of my life, and at no point should our government be in control of or able to influence my life so much that I can't do as I wish, when I wish. It seems folks have been okay with slowly giving away their freedoms a little at a time and not have anything to say about it. It shows how easily the masses are persuaded by easy living and group think which I call the "herd mentality". Politicians are very good sales people and they continue to prove it by taking money from every yahoo that gives it to them to hawk whatever shit they're selling. No thanks, I'll keep the ability to drive where I want to, not where they want me to go!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Oh, but it's "progress", right?

People in today's society have a habit of being completely enamored with high tech, to a degree that they will fall all over themselves to accept something that is no way near the quality of the original concept, simply because of "convenience" and again, it is high tech.

Self driving cars is another example.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16713 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
I'm ready to hack your autonomous bullshit just to fuck with you and make a point that you should walk or ride a bike.

Not sure how much there would be to hack. Self driving cars use GPS satilies. But only to receive a signal to triangulate position. It’s a receiver, so it would be like hacking an FM radio.

The maps and radar systems are self contained on each vehicle.

There have been experiments where people have hacked critical systems on a car as it was operating, but the conditions they did it under are so controlled, it’s laughable. That being said, the auto industry has never put security at the top of their priorities list. With the help of tech companies, that will change.

Honestly, I think there’s a better chance of today's traffic lights getting hacked.

Microsoft and Apple can't keep their computers from crashing from time to time, what makes you think that they could keep a car from crashing?

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
quote:
I'm ready to hack your autonomous bullshit just to fuck with you and make a point that you should walk or ride a bike.

Not sure how much there would be to hack. Self driving cars use GPS satilies. But only to receive a signal to triangulate position. It’s a receiver, so it would be like hacking an FM radio.

There have been experiments where people have hacked critical systems on a car as it was operating, but the conditions they did it under are so controlled, it’s laughable. That being said, the auto industry has never put security at the top of their priorities list. With the help of tech companies, that will change.

Honestly, I think there’s a better chance of today's traffic lights getting hacked.

Microsoft and Apple can't keep their computers from crashing from time to time, what makes you think that they could keep a car from crashing?

System crashes? The car stops. In a true automated ecosystem, the other vehicles will be following at a safe enough distance to stop.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're dreaming.

Stuff breaks, systems fail. Death awaits.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107660 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:Microsoft and Apple can't keep their computers from crashing from time to time, what makes you think that they could keep a car from crashing?

People can't walk without tripping from time to time, what makes you think they can drive? There is no doubt that semi-autonomous vehicles will have failures, but human drivers are far from perfect. Most aren't even very good.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Most humans care about dying and can think outside of programming. Computers? Uh, no.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Toyota and I'm pretty sure several systems operate "by wire". Most notably the transmission and throttle. I'm sure it's way more complicated than a 1970 Dart. But my safety hasn't been compromised.

posted Hide Post
I think we need legislation preventing marriage between humans and super-intelligent, life-like robots.

We probably also need to pass a law making it illegal for the super-intelligent robots to "rebel" and destroy human society.

You know.....better to be safe than sorry.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 2014 Toyota and I'm pretty sure several systems operate "by wire". Most notably the transmission and throttle. I'm sure it's way more complicated than a 1970 Dart. But my safety hasn't been compromised.
Well, gosh. I'm convinced. Your anectdotal experience with your automobile has caused me to see the light.

posted Hide Post
Sorry Para, my comment wasn’t directly addressing yours. But, being a glutton for punishment, I’ll try replying to your post.

We’re in the Model-T phase of automated cars. If you told people in 1920 the speed and safety with which we drive today, they would say you were crazy. They couldn’t comprehend intermittent wipers.

Put another way, if I told you in thirty years film would be obsolete and Kodak would essentially be out of business, what would you have said?

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'll have no part of it. I'd rather walk. I don't trust drive by wire cars either. It's sketchy as hell when you don't have a mechanical connections to the controls. I've seen electronic throttle control fail in cars before.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

God, it's people who think like you who are in power and make laws that simply terrify me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
quote:

System crashes? The car stops. In a true automated ecosystem, the other vehicles will be following at a safe enough distance to stop.

1 cars system shutting down would effectively stop all traffic behind it, like a train on the tracks. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if it happened in LA or the DC Metro area. How would the "automated" cars behind the broken down one know to go around the one in front unless it sends AND receives data?

Putting my tin foil hat on here Wink

Let's think about this for a moment. I believe that a motivated group of individuals with ill intentions can effectively hack any kind of automated system. The automated vehicles have to receive and transmit data (how else will Google know where their car is and what products their consumer is in to?), which tells me there is enough of a possibility that the entire system isn't self contained. Add into the equation several million "autonomous" cars zipping along the highways, there would have to be some kind of monitoring system that tracks where they are (kind of like an air traffic controller). Google, Instagram, Facebook, ApplePay, and many other apps already track your locations, so it's not hard to believe they would be able to effectively know where you are at all times. If the government or any other group were inclined to do so, they could use this information to determine where you shop and how you spend your day.

To think hacking isn't plausible is nonsense.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
God, it's people who think like you who are in power and make laws that simply terrify me.
Man, will you cool t?

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
isn't a self-driving car better known as a taxi?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I think we need legislation preventing marriage between humans and super-intelligent, life-like robots.

We probably also need to pass a law making it illegal for the super-intelligent robots to "rebel" and destroy human society.

You know.....better to be safe than sorry.

You mean like the Three Laws of Robotics?

1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2) A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Duh. Nothing ever goes wrong with robots like that.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16272 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post