SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The origin of the "Velvet Voicebox".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The origin of the "Velvet Voicebox". Login/Join 
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, I had a friend back in the 80's who tried to break into voice over work and never succeeded. You have a gift.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Cool to understand the origin of your tag. Very smooth, btw. Cool

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
That is great ... ! Listened to the intro a few times enjoying my morning coffee and a grin on my face.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What timing! I was just informed that my brother in law is considering doing some voiceover work. Do you have any advice that you might share? If not here my email is in m profile. Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
That was great! Cliff, have you ever done any, I don't know what it is called...Voice Work? Creating audiobooks?

Yes I did. Started off back in the day as a book Narrator. Now it's audiobook Narrator. This was a lot harder to do more so then VO work. you have to tell a story. Act. It depends on the characters in the book. Different accents, male, female, dialects you may have to use. I did a lot of history and some medical books for people who were blind. Fuck! that was hard. Enunciation and context of a word had to be spot on which meant a lot of times I had to research the meaning of a word. VO work was so much easier.

[Quote]What timing! I was just informed that my brother in law is considering doing some voiceover work. Do you have any advice that you might share? If not here my email is in m profile. Thanks,

Jim [Quote]

Jim, he needs to make a audition tape. Well, nowadays it's a audition mp3 or thumbdrive that he can send out to potential clients. 5 to 8 different commercial samples with or without background music each about 5 to 15 seconds long.
Access to a studio or the ability to set up a home studio. Nothing elaborate for the home. A quality microphone hooked up to a good sound card and editing software.
He may want to consider taking classes from a voice coach. A voice coach helped me quite a bit in different dialects and colloquialism's used in advertising for different products.
being able to network. Put your audition tape out there. Meaning make a list of agents that you can get from a SAG person in your city. SAG is Screen Actors Guild.
Have a thick skin. Be prepared to be rejected. A lot.But, all it takes is one to get you started.

Hope this helps.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post