SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The pinnacle of automotive design......the minivan
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The pinnacle of automotive design......the minivan Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I recently did something practical but also depressing. I traded in my beloved 4x4 TRD Sport Tacoma for a van. I’ve been wondering which is worse, having a van or the fact that I kinda like the minivan.

I know a little about what you're feeling. I traded my 2003 ZO6 Corvette to get a 2007 F-250. Now I don't have to choose which grand-kid gets to ride with me.

The good news is that you'll get over missing your truck.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 178 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We have a Tacoma long bed and a Sienna. When we moved our daughter up for college, we took the seats out and put her stuff in the minivan - we could hall more stuff in comfort and load it easier based upon how low everything was to the ground.

Posts: 12477 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you’re overselling a bit with the thread title.

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Perhaps you’re overselling a bit with the thread title.

It's sorta anti-clickbait!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12452 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hoosier daddy...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Glad you've come to reason Stick an AWD minivan is the most practical family vehicle made, period! And if where you live gets little to no snow FWD is just as good or better.

I tried to talk my SIL into buying a minivan but he just couldn't get over the stupid "soccer mom stigma" and bought a Highlander. Now I think he wishes he'd gone for the van with it's *useful* third row.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s going to look great when I’m done. Big Grin

LOL there goes the functional aspect of driving it anywhere interesting, at least around here. Hell I doubt that has enough ground clearance to drive on my road!

Here's my idea. This is of course a modified van (not minivan) but I feel if Toyota would make a TRD AWD Sienna with heavier and taller suspension for exploring and camping in remote places they'd have a hit.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ridewv, I made the same mistake, I thought a Highlander would be big enough for our family but we quickly outgrew it. I thought about getting an AWD Sienna or a Sequoia 4x4 but I didn’t want the extra maintenance and loss of MPGs. The last few times I went camping at the beach I didn’t even take my Tacoma offroad. For the kind of camp trips we’ve been going on lately this Sienna should be perfect.

The nice thing about this new minivan is that my wife got upgraded to a Highlander and knows I miss my truck. Since I sacrificed and sold my truck she now doesn’t care if I buy another motorcycle. Smile She even mentioned how I should get a “fun convertible sports car” once the Highlander is paid off. A Porsche 987, Honda S2000 or BMW 335 conv would be suitable replacement for my Tacoma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by Dusty 78,
quote:
Can you at least tow one of your bikes around so at least people still know you’re cool.

That’s the plan. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity so it’ll work fine at transporting bikes, kayaks and ATVs on a trailer. Honestly, the bike I’m probably going to get might fit inside the Sienna’s trunk. (Honda Grom)

I am going to buy one of those bumper stickers that says “I used to be cool”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Now it just needs a TRD supercharger; stock for the V6 is in the neighborhood of 260hp if memory serves...

There is not a TRD supercharger that will fit the Sienna without extensive modifications.

There is however a bolt on kit from HKS that includes a Sienna specific PCM that puts down about 300whp. Runs about $6,500.
http://www.siennachat.com/foru...upercharger-kit.html

quote:
tatortodd, that is my plan. Apparently you have to cut a slot into the splash guard on the rear to install the better aftermarket hitches. I am going to have to look into it a bit further.

This is the hitch you want to get it gives the highest ground clearance as the crossbar is hidden behind the bumper. You do have to trim the rear plastic splash guard a bit but is easily done with simple tin snips.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trail...?vehicleid=201550718

Etrailer has a step by step video. It was on my list to do just never got around to it.

If you are not going to put the van on bags or coilovers I would highly suggest getting rear coil helpers and put them in when installing the hitch.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehic...ehicleid=20151113073

You will eliminate the squat nicely and get a bit better ride and handling when not towing a trailer.

quote:
Ridewv, I made the same mistake, I thought a Highlander would be big enough for our family but we quickly outgrew it. I thought about getting an AWD Sienna or a Sequoia 4x4 but I didn’t want the extra maintenance and loss of MPGs. The last few times I went camping at the beach I didn’t even take my Tacoma offroad. For the kind of camp trips we’ve been going on lately this Sienna should be perfect.

The nice thing about this new minivan is that my wife got upgraded to a Highlander and knows I miss my truck. Since I sacrificed and sold my truck she now doesn’t care if I buy another motorcycle. Smile She even mentioned how I should get a “fun convertible sports car” once the Highlander is paid off. A Porsche 987, Honda S2000 or BMW 335 conv would be suitable replacement for my Tacoma.

We love our Highlander too. 3 carseats is just a no go in them.

Check out www.vankulture.com
There are some folks doing some pretty slick stuff with these vans.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks Black92LX! That’s the hitch I’ll get. 525 lbs TW will do nicely for the single motorcycle carrier I was looking at.

I doubt I’ll modify it too much. My main focus is getting decent roof racks, a tow hitch, and figuring out how to hook up a trailer electrical connector for a trailers lights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Black92LX! That’s the hitch I’ll get. 525 lbs TW will do nicely for the single motorcycle carrier I was looking at.

I doubt I’ll modify it too much. My main focus is getting decent roof racks, a tow hitch, and figuring out how to hook up a trailer electrical connector for a trailers lights.

Plug and play kit. Just need to access the passenger side tail light if memory serves me correctly.
Of course there is a step by step video on there as well.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custo...?vehicleid=201530385

Only 4 pin kits are available as plug and play. Presuming you have no need for a 7 pin.

If no planned suspension mods I would highly suggest the helper airbags. Install is simple and you will be up in there for the hitch install anyway.

The Sienna squats pretty good with just passengers let alone with the trailer or concrete blocks in the back Razz

————————————————

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on good roof racks? I want something solid that will carry up to a 17ft touring kayak. I really need to look into kayak holders that attach to the roof rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Jokes like this aside, you can't deny a minivan's practicality.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on good roof racks? I want something solid that will carry up to a 17ft touring kayak. I really need to look into kayak holders that attach to the roof rack.

I never looked into upgraded racks as I have a rooftop Thule cargo carrier that for my use would not ever come to the factory load rating and it worked for me.
If you are a FB user join the VanKulture page and ask there. Lots of them have upgraded racks because the use a rooftop cargo carrier all the time as their tanks for the airbag system take up all the rear storage or they run 20” wheels and keep the spare on the roof since it won’t fit under the vehicle.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Jokes like this aside, you can't deny a minivan's practicality.

Dependent upon ones needs the practicality is arguable. Hence the main reason we ditched ours.

————————————————

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The fun part of it all was when Henry Ford III was to approve the original design of the Ford Carousel, he said "There is no market for this vehicle." It was a good thing that Lee Iaccoca wasn't listening. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Now it just needs a TRD supercharger; stock for the V6 is in the neighborhood of 260hp if memory serves...

There is not a TRD supercharger that will fit the Sienna without extensive modifications.

Looked into this a while back for my buddies Toyota. The TRD kit gains a whopping 6 PSI. ZZZ. Um, No.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 2nd Sienna AWD van as a work vehicle (I do field service work on medical equipment, mainly anesthesia machines).

My first Sienna was a 2015 that I put 92K miles on in 2.5 years. Now I'm wheeling a 2018 Sienna LE AWD (miss my XLE trim on the last van). I've had it a little over 2 months and have almost 8K miles on it.

Pick on me, take away my man card, but I love these vans, especially compared to the under powered mini suv's my company offers (Escape, Equinox, etc..).

Here's my current van.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4527 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I drove a Town and Country for a while, loved it. Great ride, room for the dogs, stroller, pack and play, etc. I thought it was a very useful vehicle, and with the seats folded down held as much as a pickup.

I also don't get the stigma, I had no problem with it at all. And on long trips it was great for naps.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had the real original minivan when I was in high school - a microbus.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post