SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in. Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted
Take two Smile

Gatwick's runway has been shut since Wednesday night because devices have been repeatedly flown over the airfield.

It comes as Easyjet has cancelled all of its flights from Gatwick for the rest of the day.

The airline, the biggest operator at the airport, said there was "no indication" when Gatwick would reopen.

Tens of thousands of passengers on several airlines have been disrupted by drones flying over the airport.

In a tweet, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson had confirmed the military deployment.

He said: "The armed forces have a range of unique capabilities and this isn't something we would usually deploy but we are there to assist and do everything we can so that they are in a position to open the airport at the earliest opportunity."

Full story here.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hey, look at that!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Not only is Gatwick the UK's #2 airport, with around 1000 flights a day, especially starting tomorrow - the first day of school Christmas break - but it's a major mail transit centre, too.

Whoever is found responsible for this is really going to have some explaining to do - the general public is talking about terrorism. Crowding 25,000 pissed-off travellers inot one admittedly large and complex set of terminals and lighting up a device would cause carnage.

It's either some geeky kid saying 'wow lookit what I've done', or it's a bunch of urban terrorists trying for a practice run. Either way, it's going to be ended painfully for the perp or perps.

TBH I'm aamazed that country like the UK, with so many world-class shotgunners, hasn't done the job already.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
TBH I'm aamazed that country like the UK, with so many world-class shotgunners, hasn't done the job already.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
From what I understand the Royal family has a shoot the day after Christmas. This might be a good time to let them get a little practice in.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What do you use on drones? Number 4 lead seems like a good place to start. Maybe number 2s.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Who here knows how "Gatwick" is pronounced?

Hint...it's NOT Gat-Wick

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
"He said police had not wanted to shoot the devices down because of the risk from stray bullets"

Apparently no wing shooters could be found. A sprinkling of shot gun pellets would be too dangerous compared to hitting a drone at 170 mph and 150 feet off the approach.

Sometimes I think the UK leadership has lost the ability to think.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Hint...it's NOT Gat-Wick

Actually, it is.

Gat - wick. Both syllables at the same level of tone/emphasis.

I bet you're thinking of the London borough of Chiswick - now THAT is pronounced 'Chizzik'.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Hint...it's NOT Gat-Wick

Actually, it is.

Gat - wick. Both syllables at the same level of tone/emphasis.

I bet you're thinking of the London borough of Chiswick - now THAT is pronounced 'Chizzik'.

Huh. I could gave sworn it was "Gattick"

Maybe I'm mixing up my place names.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If am going pump city on a drone, I will use a BB goose load.
Do you have to use steel shot on drones?
All yuks aside, I think it is only a matter of time until weapon bearing drones become a widespread and credible threat. I did read that they have been used to convey contraband into prisons.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What do you use on drones? Number 4 lead seems like a good place to start. Maybe number 2s.

I'm thinking Number 5's, they work well on a rooster...

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they find those responsible for the drones and let everyone inconvenienced by their shenanigans line up and take turns inflicting pain...my wife's flight from MCO to LGW has been delayed 6 hrs due to this fiasco as the incoming plane had to be diverted to now depart out of Heathrow...

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:

I'm thinking Number 5's, they work well on a rooster...
I remember a few years back a group of environazis were terrorizing a large gun club who had a pigeon/quail shoot by taking license plate pics and publishing names (i.e. PC shaming). They upped the ante with an octocopter drone w/ cameras that cost thousands and thousands of dollars and were planning to publish pics of hunters. The last shot it ever took was of a group of hunters opening up on it. Whatever they used was effective because they blasted it out of the sky and the recovered drone was FUBAR'd.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They've got 'top men' on it. One in the group on the right appears to have a shotgun.

Although they'd probably be better off to just get 5-10 of the top trap-n-skeet shooters and let them go to town.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Is that a low bid BMW? Must be nice.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/b5DEg2qZzkU?t=16

Drone-Catching eagles are the ONLY way to go...and they're cool doing it!!!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:

The right tool for the right job Big Grin

https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-...efense--3-Pack-35975

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are not focusing on the root of the problem - the Operators.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot and missed a lot of ducks and given the size of Gatwick you'd have to have whole lot of shotguns. And you'd have to have a pretty dumb drone operator to run it at low altitude. The main runway is like 2 miles long. So the guy with a shotgun near the BMW is not likely to do much no matter what kind of shot he has...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post