SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an Era - Last Doolittle Raider Passed Away
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an Era - Last Doolittle Raider Passed Away Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I had the honor to meet and listen to Colonel Saylor when he spoke at our schools Veterans Day Assembly. You could hear a pin drop.
Afterwards he and I had coffee. I asked as, being on the last plane to take off, if he had it easier? He replied that the carrier’s island prevented takeoffs until the plane was past it. All the bomber had the same short part of the deck to take off. He also had to repair one of the plane’s engines. It was a depot level repair, accomplished on a tossing ship. Quite a man.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

... He also had to repair one of the plane’s engines. It was a depot level repair, accomplished on a tossing ship. Quite a man.

That was part of his talk I listened to in 2014 as well. A complete tear down with borrowed tools from the Navy. They were told if it wasn’t fixed by whatever time deadline, the plane would be jettisoned into the ocean.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Truly an American hero.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had the very great honor of meeting two of these heroes during their annual meeting, this one in Omaha. There were only maybe 4-5 attendees at that meeting. Both that I met were humble and unassuming and the few words I shared with them were how great of an honor it was to meet them face-to-face.

Very sad to hear that their legacy is now one of memories only. RIP to all of these great warrior/gentlemen!

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
“Army pilots, man your planes!"

The end of an era for sure, these guys all had 50 lb brass balls!

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I am amazed by the the discipline of those who flew over the Imperial Palace, but did not drop their bombs there because Col. Doolittle had ordered them not to. It is difficult to estimate how the course of the War would have changed had they injured or killed the Emperor that day.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Japan's current economic and political status as a solid member of the Western (!) alliance and one of the largest economies in the world is due to their loss of the war, and the historically unique occupation and governance by the United States afterward.
The first step in that victory by the US and allies was purely psychological, but it worked on the Japanese as well as on the Americans, I believe.

We owe so much to Doolitle's Raiders and all the victories great and small that followed that raid.
R.I.P.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
It is difficult to estimate how the course of the War would have changed had they injured or killed the Emperor that day.

If the emperor had been killed, the Japanese would not have surrendered after the A-bombs were dropped.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir. Your generation is greatly missed.

"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness"

Posts: 99 | Location: IL | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
God bless, Godspeed, and thank you, Sir!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post