SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Counter top knife blocks * Never mind
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counter top knife blocks * Never mind Login/Join 
posted
I got a 15 y.o. ,8 slot , used block and feel the need to clean out the holes where the knives go in. Any thoughts on how to go about this? Tool suggestions are welcome. A cloth or paper will not fit in there with a rigid blade. ( How the hell bored am I? )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Skinny bottle brush (like the kind the millennial use for their non-disposable straws) and hot, soapy water.

Do you happen to have a .177 cal cleaning rod w/ brushes?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I thought of that when I bought the block and just never put one in that is in any way not clean. I also have a rule about not letting them sit around dirty.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
flamethrower, rinse, repeat

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3219 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
( How the hell bored am I? )

I've been staying pretty busy here to kill the boredom.

Did you two (2) 25-pound bags of rice from the same producer have a 1,539 grain difference between them.... Who knew?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Cut a piece of sheet metal a couple of inches longer than the depth of the deepest slot and as wide as a tad less than the width of the narrowest slot. Put the strip in a vise and square the end up with a file then rub it very hard with a hardened metal object like the shank of a screwdriver or socket wrench to form a microscopic curled edge on either side of each end of the sheet metal. Now, slip the tongue depressor like tool into each knife slot and allow the microscopic hook on the edge of the sheet metal to rake out any debris hiding in the knife slots. Of course there is no way to sanitize and seal those slots so burn that block in the fireplace, take a $20 bill and go buy a replacement like I did. YMMV

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bleach? or firepit and get a new one

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was just a commercial on TV for a hand held steam shooter Gizmo, I wonder if that would do anything at all, for this application ?

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I thought wood was sterile.....

Could you just steam or even better microwave the block to kill and perceived germies?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray it with bleach, and hit it with a power washer.

If it doesn't come clean, shoot it. I vote for 12 gauge slug.

Build a new one. Make it from poly cutting boards instead of wood, bolt together so it can be disassembled for cleaning.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've never put a knife in block that wasn't cleaner than 99.9% of everything in my house.

So, worst I should ever have to worry about is dust and blow that out. Which I've done precisely never.

If you're putting nasty shit in your knife block, throw that one out, get another and stop.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
There was just a commercial on TV for a hand held steam shooter Gizmo, I wonder if that would do anything at all, for this application ?

Only if you run out of TP. And stop thinking every diagnosed issue on TV needs a solution.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12437 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sleeping on the problem was the answer.
Will be feeding a tiny wire through the hole's then attaching a boot lace to the wire, like a bore snake. Guardian angel's, come through once again.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bendable, the knife block has to go. They are pretty unsanitary, and don’t do anything good for the knives. Messermeister makes an edge guard. Cover the blades with these and store in a drawer like you would silverware. It’s cleaner, and the edges are well protected. You also free up some countertop space. Smile

Knife Edge Guards

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The knives that I use are 30 y.o. Chicago cutlery , wooden handle jobs.
Counter space is not a concern, drawer space is
the goal.

I purchased a bar magnet to mount and keep knives on , but the three places I have to put it, are no where near optimal.

And contamination has never been a problem in my kitchen , but thanks