SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle info lookup by plate #?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle info lookup by plate #? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Is there any way to get vehicle info based on the plate #?

My dad is looking into a car & not getting substantive responses (Craigslist). Hes not overly interested in driving 150 miles, 1 way, to try to look at the car in person

Tried a couple of the sites I could find & they verify the make/model, but you have to pay to get any further info.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You may be able to pay the state for the plate info...I know you can do it in NC.

He needs to call the DMV for whatever state the vehicle is in.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craig's List - Strike 1.

Poor communication - Strike 2.

150 miles away - Strike 3.

That is not the car for your dad.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
tell your dad about the father and son that were shot when going to look at a car advertised on CL recently. Son was killed iirc.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Is there any way to get vehicle info based on the plate #?

My dad is looking into a car & not getting substantive responses (Craigslist). Hes not overly interested in driving 150 miles, 1 way, to try to look at the car in person

Tried a couple of the sites I could find & they verify the make/model, but you have to pay to get any further info.

What kind of info exactly are you looking to get? Something like a Carfax report or something different?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mostly wanting to check that it's actually reg'd where, or at least reasonably near,, it says it is located.
Not trying to stalk/track the owner, just be reasonably sure it's not a scam before making a fruitless drive.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Carfax used to be able to do that.

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Craig's List - Strike 1.

Poor communication - Strike 2.

150 miles away - Strike 3.

That is not the car for your dad.
I agree. If they are not making it super easy to get ahold of them then I wouldn't trust it. There are too many stories that turned out bad and it always revolves around a car on CL with limited contacts wanting to meet in odd circumstances.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly wanting to check that it's actually reg'd where, or at least reasonably near,, it says it is located.
Not trying to stalk/track the owner, just be reasonably sure it's not a scam before making a fruitless drive.

I sent you an email.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I sent you an email.

Replied, thanks.