SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer power supply. Should I hook this up or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer power supply. Should I hook this up or not? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My power supply only has the 4-pin ATX12v but the motherboard has the 8-pin ATX 12v 2x4. Is It correct to connect the ATX 4-pin to the one side of the 2x4 that it fits into or should I just leave it unconnected? And, no, it's not in the manuals for the motherboard and power supply. I checked. Big Grin

Thanks. Smile

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Three possibilites.

1. It won't boot.
2. It will boot and run.
3. It will boot but run in "limp mode".

Verify CPU fan speed, if equipped.

Buy the 4 to 8 adapter when you can.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Buy the 4 to 8 adapter when you can.

Oh, there's an adapter. Ok, then. Thanks.

This place has it for $70. Hahaha. https://www.spaguts.com/produc...bf-b76a-f7defd9d73cd

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
What CPU you using? If it is a run of the mill AMD or Intel chip that isn’t being overclocked, a single 4-pin should be fine. I doubt it will boot without the 4-pin plugged though, as most motherboards these days run the CPU off that connector, not the 24-pin.

That 4-pin +12v connector is rated for At least 8A, which is 96W and fine if you are running most desktop processors stock. In reality, a 4-pin will usually handle 150w With no problems if the connectors aren’t shitty, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:...

This place has it for $70. Hahaha.

Hell, yeah. Buy that one.

Not this cheap knock off version... Big Grin

https://www.newegg.com/p/284-0...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
What CPU you using? If it is a run of the mill AMD or Intel chip that isn’t being overclocked, a single 4-pin should be fine. I doubt it will boot without the 4-pin plugged though, as most motherboards these days run the CPU off that connector, not the 24-pin.

That 4-pin +12v connector is rated for At least 8A, which is 96W and fine if you are running most desktop processors stock. In reality, a 4-pin will usually handle 150w With no problems if the connectors aren’t shitty, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

- Bret
Intel Core i3 9100f.

The question is can I just plug the 4-pin into the right side of the 8-pin socket (the only place it fits). There is no 4-pin socket on the motherboard.

I ordered the adapter.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Looks Chinese. Big Grin

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
quote:

Looks Chinese. Big Grin

WOW! I looked for a "Genuine GM Parts" label on that! Reminds me of some of the connectors and pigtails I sold a few years ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

What a bargain!

Hell, if that was Best Buy, they'd take that same adapter, slap it into a Monster Cable package, and sell it for $170. And try to convince everyone buying a computer or computer parts that they simply must purchase one, if they want their computer to run correctly.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Got my answer. It won't boot without the correct 8-pin. The adapter will arrive tomorrow.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. It won't boot.

Yep.
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
... I doubt it will boot without the 4-pin plugged though, as most motherboards these days run the CPU off that connector, not the 24-pin. ...

Looks like that is the case.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The adapter came today and it seems that applying 12v to the CPU works wonders for making the computer actually turn on.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wait, I thought computers were wireless.

Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
If you thought it was fast with 12v, you should try it with 24v! It will be twice as fast, right?

Disclaimer: this is a joke. I am not responsible for the escape of magic smoke that will result from hooking 24v up to your motherboard.

Anyway, a 4-pin is plenty to power a 9100f, in terms of the pins and wires handling the load.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post