SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drywall. Question about a previous question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drywall. Question about a previous question. Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
In a garage I would suggest 1"x 4" pressure treated board around the base of the walls with the drywall above.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have done lots of remodeling and please trust me on what I am saying.
Tape ,mud and finish.
Then prime the walls and ceilings. Paint it also.
Rock discolors in time and wicks moisture.
Turns a shitty brown and its a real pain with expensive kilz to bring it back to even take paint.

I agree. When I drive down my street at night I see that most of my neighbors have dingy brown garages with a one bulb light fixture. When I moved in, I painted my garage interior white and installed decent lighting. It makes a big difference.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Tape ,mud and finish.
Turns a shitty brown and its a real pain with expensive kilz to bring it back to even take paint.

I agree. When I drive down my street at night I see that most of my neighbors have dingy brown garages with a one bulb light fixture. When I moved in, I painted my garage interior white and installed decent lighting. It makes a big difference.

yep,

depending on what the garage is used for,

maybe do the lower section with OSB or Plywood,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tape ,mud and finish.

I agree with all of this, except that if you live where it gets cold and the garage is unheated, skip the tape and mud, just prime and paint the sheetrock. The mud tends to crack and flake off with wide temp changes.

Honestly, up north I would use plywood and paint that. My wife had to have sheetrock in our unheated garage, all the seams are cracked. I'm considering pulling it down and redoing it.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:I agree with all of this, except that if you live where it gets cold and the garage is unheated, skip the tape and mud, just prime and paint the sheetrock. The mud tends to crack and flake off with wide temp changes.

Even heated garages develop some cracks especially in the ceiling. The wide spans and snow load raise heck with the seams.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post