SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Do We Like For Small Home Laser Printers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do We Like For Small Home Laser Printers? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My HP LaserJet 1020 is old and started jamming up bad each time I try to print so I'm going to trash it and get something new.

This time around I'd like to get color printing too and not just B&W so what do you all recommend?

The small Brother lasers look good both from a features and price perspective over the HP's these days?

I'd like:

Color printing
WiFi connectivity
Ability to print something from an iPhone

Thanks! NO INKJETS

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have a Brother laser (not color, though) and it's been nothing but solid. I bought it through Amazon, and it will automatically re-order toner when it gets low!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Canon Color imageCLASS MF634Cdw (1475C005) All-in-One, Wireless, Duplex Color Laser Printer for a little over 2years now and no problems.

Was $310 from Amazon when I bought it, not sure if still a current model

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why a laser vs inkjet?

Before you answer, low cost color lasers are expensive media (ink).
I understand the chap inkjets carts are expensive as well and they dry up.
If you are a heavy user then by all means but not a entry level model.

May I suggest an Epson EcoTank printer.
They do not use carts!
Very economical printing and good quality to boot.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have the Brother 3170 color laser printer.
It’s great but not small—-if size matters a B&W Brother laser printer is also great.
I would (and have) buy another Brother laser printer in a second.
Has Wi-Fi printing, double-sided printing.
However, I think it is not found on AirPrint. Let me see. Yeah, not recognized even standing next to the printer.

Looked up the newer 3270 on Amazon: $180 for a color laser with all those features!!
Yes per the top reviewer it does print via AirPrint, so printing from your iPhone should be easy. Looks smaller than the 3170.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Brother, choose your model. They work well, are reliable and the consumables aren't crazy expensive. I prefer laser to inkjet, just feel the print is sharper.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm also thinking of a printer.... I found this thread helpful. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350075254#6350075254

I think I'll get something that allows me to scan documents. Not sure if I need the fax option - seems like faxes are almost a thing of the past.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Why a laser vs inkjet?

Because I have NEVER had good luck with any inkjet printer in the past 22 years of owning computers. They dry out, the refills are a total rip-off scam. I will never, ever buy one again.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had an HP laserjetpro 200 MFP all in one color laser for at least 4 years now. I print around 1000-1500 pages a year. It works well and doesn't miss a beat. Toner cartridges last a very long time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Bought this one for my personal use at work and its been very solid. Brother HL-L8260CDW

Description says "Mobile Device Printing" but I have not used it in that regard.

Color, duplexes, wireless, ethernet...for only $250

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDS1XW7

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My HP LaserJet 1020 is old and started jamming up bad each time I try to print so I'm going to trash it and get something new.

This time around I'd like to get color printing too and not just B&W so what do you all recommend?

The small Brother lasers look good both from a features and price perspective over the HP's these days?

I'd like:

Color printing
WiFi connectivity
Ability to print something from an iPhone

Thanks! NO INKJETS

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't trash it, smash it!

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Brother, your welcome.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Brother.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Don't trash it, smash it!

Sounds like a plan!

quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Brother, your welcome.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention “Brother?”

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Brother HL-L2350DW would be my choice. I have an older Brother laser printer and it's been absolutely solid for close to 15 years.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Brother, all day, every day.

Monochrome or LED color. I hesitated on the color because OEM toner is expensive, but the aftermarket stuff has good reviews and is very reasonable.

My mono is an HL2270DW, my new LED Color is a HL3230CDW and I'm pleased as punch with both of them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Why a laser vs inkjet?

Because I have NEVER had good luck with any inkjet printer in the past 22 years of owning computers. They dry out, the refills are a total rip-off scam. I will never, ever buy one again.

I hear ya on the drying out part.
Low end color lasers are generally not very economical on why I recommended the Eco Tank ~ which does not use cartridges ~ the primary reason ink jets dry out.
YMMV

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a Brother HL-3180CDW that's printed my invoices for about 4 years now. I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have quite a few Brother B/W laser printers & have been pretty trouble free.

Only a few color Brother printers, most of our full color are HP.

Toner is the $$$ part of those. The B/W toner isn't bad, comparatively.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post