SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marble kitchen countertops. Seal them or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marble kitchen countertops. Seal them or not? Login/Join 
posted
My sister is frustrated trying to get an answer to whether or not you should seal marble countertops. I told her I’d find out, so here I am asking the all knowing SigForum.

The reason for the question is her countertops get water stains. I don’t know much about the type of marble but it’s mostly white with grayish streaks. The surface is more of a matte finish.

Does anyone have experience with marble countertops and sealants? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, absolutely. They May need to be done ever 6 months depending on what’s used. SenGuard says it’s a permanent sealer. It’s what was used on my granite and held up well so far.

Make sure to follow surface prep to the absolute

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I bought a new house in April and the builder recommended it. I re-did the seal last week with Stone Care.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marble is a porous stone so, generally yes; test a small area. If it was custom done, find out from the contractor.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Porosity varies with type of stone, and finish.
And from one top to another, even with same type and finish.

Test by leaving a drop on the counter and see if it beads and how long it stays before being absorbed.

I have a polished granite that was installed and sealed almost five years ago and it will bead water until it evaporates. (I did a test with a glass and the water stayed for days).

But, the water is so heavy with minerals, I do my best to keep it wiped dry.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.
I’ll pass it along to my sister.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
On my granite counter tops Ive been using car wax. Has worked quite well.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY. Marble stains super easy compared to granite and sealing them is an absolute must.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are different types of sealers.

There are a couple that are marketed as lifetime.

The person that put it on wore a respirator type mask and used a buffer to put it on.

It has been on two years and looks new and is guaranteed for life.

Not that I think any of the companies will be around in a couple of decades.

If you intend to seal it, it is a good way to go.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Marble for sure needs sealing as does granite. We went with Quartz as it is not porous and needs no sealing unless you care to do it to make it shinny. Quite a bit more expensive though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went with quartz also on our remodel. The countertop guys never mentioned anything about needing to seal them. They are basically pure white.
Probably gonna go with quartz on the new place when we build.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post